+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD - Only for valid reasons?

loma_linda

Star Member
Jul 7, 2014
In March 2016, they will implement that you cannot go back to Canada if you do not have PR card. Meaning you have to apply PRTD (Permanent Residence Travel Document) if you do not have PR and have to go back. Question: Can you only get PRTD for valid reasons? What if I came back to India because I have a work there? Is that a valid reason?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
How many days you stayed in Canada? Why you don't have pr card?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Any PR can get a PRTD if they are outside of Canada, meet the Residency Obligation and don't have a PR card.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
loma_linda said:
In March 2016, they will implement that you cannot go back to Canada if you do not have PR card. Meaning you have to apply PRTD (Permanent Residence Travel Document) if you do not have PR and have to go back. Question: Can you only get PRTD for valid reasons? What if I came back to India because I have a work there? Is that a valid reason?
Eligibility for the PR Travel Document is based on:
-- identity
-- validity of PR status
-- compliance with PR RO / or, if not in compliance with PR RO, where humanitarian and compassionate considerations overcome the breach of the residency obligation

In particular, the reason for being abroad is NOT relevant unless the PR has not met the PR Residency Obligation and is asserting H&C reasons why his or her PR status should be retained.

Thus, to be clear: if you are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, why you are abroad does not matter.

See OP 10 Permanent Residency Status Determination

URL: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf

For operational manual guidelines in processing PR TD applications, in particular see section 17, beginning on page 46.

If you are not in compliance with the PR RO:

If you are not in compliance with the PR RO, any and all reasons why you have not returned to Canada sooner must be considered in the H&C assessment, if the PR presents H&C grounds for, in effect, waiving the breach of the PR RO.

Thus, it is not as if there are valid versus not valid reasons, but more that some reasons carry more H&C weight than other reasons, and in particular certain reasons alone are unlikely to be sufficient to be allowed to retain PR status based on H&C grounds. This is important because the typical situation involves a complex array of reasons why a PR has remained abroad, and particularly so relative to the amount of time spent abroad.

For example, many participants in this forum will state that work abroad is not a reason why H&C relief may be given. That is most likely a fair statement if the only reason for being abroad is employment abroad, in terms of the ultimate outcome, but it nonetheless overlooks that many times economic reasons including availability of work limited to location abroad have factored into the grant of H&C relief when in conjunction with other reasons. A huge factor is how much in breach the PR is.

For more information about making the H&C case, see ENF 23 Loss of permanent resident status, section 7.7 beginning on page 26.

URL: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf

Additional Observation about the change which has already taken place but to some extent is not fully implemented until March 2016

The change taking effect March 2016 is that the eTA requirement for visa exempt travelers becomes mandatory. PRs who carry a visa exempt passport are NOT eligible for eTA. Thus, to board a flight headed to Canada, as of March 2016 there will be no exceptions (technically, obviously the rules are not always absolutely enforced uniformly in all circumstances), a PR will need to present a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document in order to board a flight destined for Canada.

Actually it has long been the case that PRs were supposed to present a valid PR card or PR TD in order to board a flight to Canada. There was no practical way to uniformly enforce this, however, for those PRs carrying a visa-exempt passport, who would (many reports indicated) ordinarily be allowed to board flights to Canada by simply displaying the visa-exempt passport.

As of March, PRs with visa-exempt passports will, instead, for certain be in the same position as PRs from countries which are not visa-exempt. That is, now all PRs must display either a valid PR card or a PR TD in order to board a flight to Canada.

My impression is that actually this is mostly already the case, even though the mandatory date is not until March. Personally I think it would be foolish for a PR to attempt relying on a visa-exempt passport to return to Canada as of now . . . it is the airlines which do the screening, and more than a few reports are indicating that at least some airlines have elevated their screening of passengers who present a visa-exempt passport without eTA.

Citizenship and Immigration website warning:

The warnings displayed at the website (still "Citizenship and Immigration Canada" even though it is now "Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship") have in effect stated that beginning in March all PRs will have to have a valid PR card or a PR TD to return to Canada.

Hence your query.

The warnings have also emphasized that acceptable travel documents and identification must also be presented at the POE upon arrival in Canada.

Technically, however, PRs do not need a valid PR card or a PR TD to actually obtain entry into Canada. Thus, if the PR manages to arrive at a Canadian POE, the fact the PR does not have either a valid PR card or a PR TD will not preclude the PR from entering Canada: once the status and identity of a PR is established at a POE, the PR must be allowed to enter Canada; typically proof of identity suffices (after a bit of questioning and verifying) to establish status, but it is always best to have either an expired PR card and/or CoPR or Record of Landing to assist the POE officers in positively recognizing that the traveler is a PR.

The most common way this happens is travel via the U.S., traveling to a land crossing on the Canadian border by private vehicle. This will continue to be an option. That said, I would anticipate that CBSA will be instructed to elevate scrutiny of such PRs (those without a valid PR card or PR TD), and in particular to screen them for compliance with the PR RO and perhaps security related matters as well.

Reactions: anandgagrawal

loma_linda

Star Member
Jul 7, 2014
So here is the reason: I go to Canada to do landing formalities, wait for PR card to arrive after 100 days, the fo back to India for my work (I not resigned my job). Will I get PRTD or no because 100 days not met residency obligation?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
loma_linda said:
So here is the reason: I go to Canada to do landing formalities, wait for PR card to arrive after 100 days, the fo back to India for my work (I not resigned my job). Will I get PRTD or no because 100 days not met residency obligation?
If you are talking about returning to India soon after landing, before you have received the PR card, there is no problem. You will qualify for a PR TD to facilitate your return to Canada . . . so long as you are not outside Canada for 1095 days after the date of landing (within the first five years after landing).

This is very common. Many, many new immigrants cannot immediately settle in Canada within the time they must land (the PR visa is only valid for a limited period of time, typically well less than a year -- actual date is limited to one year since medical or date passport expires). Thus, many come to Canada to land and very soon return home.

As long as they are back in Canada within the next three years they are OK. A new PR can be outside Canada for up to 1094 days within the first five years without being in breach of the PR RO. Of course it is risky to cut it that close (especially since cutting it close will not allow the PR any opportunity to travel abroad at all, or very minimally, for the next two years). Many immigrants go home, spend a year or even two, before making the trip to actually settle in Canada.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
loma_linda said:
It will depend on if you can meet the residency obligation still:

A28(2)(b)(i): If a permanent resident for less than five years, must demonstrate that they will be able to meet the residency obligation during the five-year period immediately following their becoming a permanent resident.
So, if you stay 100 days, then you will need to come back with at least 630 days left in your five years.

Can you please link the CIC website regarding this? I want it to be in paper writing so I can keep record
You can either use the enforcement manual:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf

(this is how the CBSA applies the law)

Or, you can use the law itself:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/section-28.html

It is sufficient for a permanent resident to demonstrate at examination

(i) if they have been a permanent resident for less than five years, that they will be able to meet the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately after they became a permanent resident;

(ii) if they have been a permanent resident for five years or more, that they have met the residency obligation in respect of the five-year period immediately before the examination
You don't have to prove that you will meet your residency obligation in the first five years, you merely have to prove that you can.

In other words, if you apply for a PRTD in the first 3 years, or cross the border in the first three years, you will have no issues. Your card is valid for 5, but if you don't have it, you can get a PRTD. After year three, they will start to look more carefully - officers that see 2 years or less on the card have a reason to question you, and a PRTD will also result in an examination.

If you live one year before leaving, you need at least one more year left on your 5. So, you could leave 3 years, then spend a year. If you live for 6 months, then you can leave for three years, and you will have to stay for a year and a half. If you live for 2 years in Canada, you can then leave for three years before you have to come back.

No matter how long you stay, you get three years out of five you can be away. If you use all three years, then you have to come back and stay until you have earned some extra credit to permit you to leave. If the days you have credit for were all at the beginning, you won't get credit until two years because you lose one day for being over 5 years for every every day earned. If you leave the day you land, and are away for the full three years, you have to stay for two full years before you can leave again, but you can then stay away another three.

antho065

Sep 13, 2015
Sorry to steal the thread. But my question is relevant to this post, and I hope you guys can help me.
Here are the facts:
1. I do possess a Record of Landing (IMM1000)
2. I do not meet the PR RO
3. I have H&C reasons and I am hoping to apply for a PRTD based on H&C grounds. Details to follow.
4. I can enter Canada as a visitor (i.e. visa-exempt)
5. I tried to enter Canada by presenting myself as a PR by showing my IMM1000, and I was able to enter Canada from the US (the border officer just asked me whether I have renounced it, and I said no, and he said then you are still a PR). But strictly speaking, I am unsure whether I was entered as a PR or as a visitor officially.

Situation:
I wish to return to Canada and reside there. Although I was able to enter Canada as said in #5, I don't want to risk losing my PR status as forum members here advised I would risk losing my PR status each time I cross the border, and due to my job nature, I do travel a lot around North America. I worry that if I lose my PR status, I would be banned from applying to the Federal Skilled Worker Program Express Entry program, or worse, entering Canada forever.
Thus, I'm considering applying to return to Canada via the formal/proper means. Please advise if this is advisable or not. Or, should I simply move to Canada based on #5, because from what I got from the border officer, he appeared to be pretty easy going/cared less, and let me in. Or perhaps, the other border officers might not be that nice...?

So my questions are:
1. Can I just move to Canada based on my experience (#5) and cross the border using my IMM1000 in a private car? I do understand that from March 2016 onwards, all PRs have to travel using a PR card. But I'm getting mixed comments saying IMM1000 can still be used to travel via a private car.

2. If I apply for a PRTD based on H&C grounds, what constitutes as H&C grounds? My H&C reasons relate to one of my parents having life-threatening illnesses and I was accompanying them for most of my life, until conditions have been stabilized recently. I was also removed from Canada as a minor, but I also understand that this fact alone doesn't really hold anymore. My whole family is Canadian (i.e. Canadian citizens), and I wish to be with family. Are these strong enough H&C reasons? How likely can I get a PRTD? Should I hire a lawyer to help me with this? Has anyone applied for a PRTD under these similar circumstances? What was the result? Did you get the PRTD?

3. Or, should I just apply to the Federal Skilled Worker Program directly? (I do have the minimum requirements)

Thanks!

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
antho065 said:
Here are the facts:
1. I do possess a Record of Landing (IMM1000)
2. I do not meet the PR RO
Ok.

3. I have H&C reasons and I am hoping to apply for a PRTD based on H&C grounds. Details to follow.
Makes sense.

4. I can enter Canada as a visitor (i.e. visa-exempt)
No, you can't. You can enter Canada as a Permanent Resident, and should not hold yourself out as a visitor. You are not one. You might tell the airline you are (in order to be able to travel), but you should not tell the border officials that.

5. I tried to enter Canada by presenting myself as a PR by showing my IMM1000, and I was able to enter Canada from the US (the border officer just asked me whether I have renounced it, and I said no, and he said then you are still a PR). But strictly speaking, I am unsure whether I was entered as a PR or as a visitor officially.
You entered as a permanent resident. If you haven't lost it, and haven't renounced it, then you are a Permanent Resident.

Situation:
I wish to return to Canada and reside there. Although I was able to enter Canada as said in #5, I don't want to risk losing my PR status as forum members here advised I would risk losing my PR status each time I cross the border, and due to my job nature, I do travel a lot around North America.
Reasonable. Every time you cross the border, you are at risk - if you do it enough, you will eventually get referred for a hearing.

I worry that if I lose my PR status, I would be banned from applying to the Federal Skilled Worker Program Express Entry program, or worse, entering Canada forever.
If you fail to meet the residency obligation, you risk PR status. It's not an offence, however, which means you aren't barred from re-applying, or from crossing the border. Being barred from Canada comes from lying, misrepresentation, and criminality. If you are honest, you aren't going to get banned, or blacklisted.

Thus, I'm considering applying to return to Canada via the formal/proper means. Please advise if this is advisable or not. Or, should I simply move to Canada based on #5, because from what I got from the border officer, he appeared to be pretty easy going/cared less, and let me in. Or perhaps, the other border officers might not be that nice...?
They may be nice. They may not. You can force the issue by applying for a PR card or travel document - if it's granted, they are unlikely to challenge it, as earlier determinations of H&C factors is given significant weight as a matter of policy. Note, that does not mean ignoring your offence - it means a human being sitting down at a hearing, or looking at an application for PR card or travel document.

You can also just renounce as you cross the border. You would then be a visitor, and you could re-apply under express entry. It's expensive to do this, though, so I'd personally suggest that if you want to force the issue just apply for a travel document.

1. Can I just move to Canada based on my experience (#5) and cross the border using my IMM1000 in a private car? I do understand that from March 2016 onwards, all PRs have to travel using a PR card. But I'm getting mixed comments saying IMM1000 can still be used to travel via a private car.
PRTD requirement does not apply to private cars. It applies to commercial carriers, where you generally buy a ticket in advance. This is things like buses and aeroplanes. As a heads up, travelling with a CoPR/IMM1000 gets you significantly more scrutiny than a PR card, and there are agents who will refer you for a hearing if you try crossing regularly. You may get away with a few crossings, but nothing says "out of status" like crossing with a CoPR that's several years old.

2. If I apply for a PRTD based on H&C grounds, what constitutes as H&C grounds? My H&C reasons relate to one of my parents having life-threatening illnesses and I was accompanying them for most of my life, until conditions have been stabilized recently. I was also removed from Canada as a minor, but I also understand that this fact alone doesn't really hold anymore.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf

Here's the main things they look for:

The hardship (of losing permanent resident status) that the permanent resident would face should be, in most cases, unusual. In other words, a hardship not anticipated by the Act; and this hardship should be, in most cases, the result of circumstances beyond the permanent resident’s control.
This is where the minor thing comes into play. Under the old rules, you had to intend to abandon (which minors were held not to be able to). The new rules don't require intent.

Examples of factors to weigh and consider:
Extent of non-compliance
* How many “days of physical presence in Canada” within the five-year period
under examination, has the permanent resident spent in Canada?
In other words, are you only a few days short, or very short?

* Was the permanent resident outside of Canada for more than three years in the last five-year period because of a medical condition or the medical condition of a close family member?
* Could alternative arrangements for the care of the family member have been made or was it the permanent resident’s choice to remain outside Canada?
In other words, with medical H&C, they give more weight to someone who had to go because it was important (dying or severely hurt), and where there was no other person to do so.

* Circumstances beyond the permanent resident’s control: Are the circumstances that led to the permanent resident remaining outside of Canada compelling and beyond their control?
* Was the permanent resident prevented from returning to Canada; and if so, by whom and by what event?
* Is the permanent resident now returning to Canada at the earliest possible opportunity?
They are far more sympathetic if something happened you had no control over, and if you come back as soon as possible. Someone who is kidnapped (for example) would get tremendous consideration, as would a muslim woman who visited family and had her passport taken to trap her there.

* Did the permanent resident leave Canada as a child accompanying a parent?
* Is the permanent resident who left as a dependent child or family member returning at the earliest opportunity?
* Is the permanent resident dependent on the parent they are accompanying because of a mental or physical disability?
This goes back to parental travels. As a child, you may not have a choice in the matter, particularly if you are physically dependent on someone else. The question, then, is whether or not you return at the earliest opportunity.

Establishment in and outside Canada:
* Is the permanent resident a citizen or permanent resident of a country other than Canada?
* Has the permanent resident taken steps to establish any permanence in a country other than Canada; or the country they resided in immediately before becoming a permanent resident of Canada (that is, any third country status)?
* To what degree has the permanent resident established in Canada?
* What linkages and ties has the permanent resident maintained in Canada?
They are more sympathetic to someone who does not have other options. If Canada is your nexus - where your work, your home, etc. is, they are less likely to take your permanent residency.

Presence and degree of consequential hardship:
* A loss of permanent resident status will have the consequence of either having to voluntarily leave or be removed from Canada. The removal of a status-less person may have an impact on family members who do have the legal right to remain in Canada (for example, Canadian citizens and/or permanent residents).
Officers should consider the person’s degree of hardship in relation to personal circumstances (that is, impact on family members, especially children).
This particularly comes into play with your spouse and children - someone who leaves temporarily for work while their spouse and children stay will be given significantly more leeway, particularly if the person returns as soon as they find work in Canada, and do not maintain a life outside Canada.

My whole family is Canadian (i.e. Canadian citizens), and I wish to be with family. Are these strong enough H&C reasons?
Wanting to be with family (on it's own) is not a compelling reason. That is largely handled by the familial sponsorship route. If you don't qualify for that, it's because the government doesn't consider your family reunification case compelling enough (if that makes sense).

Your family status is not something outside your control, nor particularly harsh upon you. If you were capable of staying, but chose not to, than it means you didn't value it enough to stay. H&C is for emergencies, and necessity. They don't expect you to (for example) leave a parent to die alone, but those are truly exceptional events that merit H&C.

How likely can I get a PRTD?
That depends on how well you present your case. You have to demonstrate that you had no other choice, that you came back as soon as you can, and that you losing Permanent Residency would ultimately be uniquely inappropriate. The fact that you would lose PR is not itself a reason for H&C grounds, or nobody would ever lose their status.

Should I hire a lawyer to help me with this?
A lawyer can help when you have a good case, but can't present it well. A lawyer can't take a bad case and make it good. Either you have the H&C case, or you don't.

3. Or, should I just apply to the Federal Skilled Worker Program directly? (I do have the minimum requirements)
You can't apply, as you are ineligible (since you are already a Permanent Resident). Should you wish to re-apply, you must first lose your status. If you want that, go ahead and apply for a PRTD. Make the best H&C case you can, and if you lose, renounce and drop the appeal.

If you are able to stay in Canada for two years, you can try crossing the border with just your IMM1000. If you get lucky, they don't report you, and you can stay two years and replace your PR card. If you're going to cross once or twice a year, you can gamble when you cross doing the same thing.

If you are going to cross frequently, the PRTD route is probably the way to go, as if you cross regularly with that paper, you will end up with someone who writes you up for examination.

antho065

Sep 13, 2015
Thanks kateg.
Going back to:

1. Entered as a PR or Visitor - You mentioned I entered as a PR. But my US passport was not stamped with anything, whether a visitor stamp or a PR stamp (if there's such thing). The officer also mentioned he couldn't find anything on the computer with the IMM1000 number as well. So if my passport wasn't stamped, then does that mean I entered as a PR? But if I entered as a PR and they don't have anything on the computer, how would they know that I entered as a PR? Let's say when I need to prove my RO, how can I request the entry/exit records when it's not in the computer?

2. Entering via a Canadian private car - So just to clarify, would I be able to cross the land borders with my IMM1000, a US passport and possibly show my Canadian driver license, and I don't need to apply for a new PRTD to cross each time?

3. PRTD - Let's say I applied for a PRTD, and they granted a PRTD. Then does it mean I can apply for a new PR card? Also, can I still travel around North America (US & Canada) while my new PR card application is still in process?

4. H&C - Thank you for highlighting the H&C factors. So if the H&C factors are related to medical H&C, e.g. a Canadian citizen family member is diagnosed with life-threatening illnesses (obviously I have no control over that), and I have been accompanying that person for years abroad. (side note, I was also removed from Canada as a minor) That person now wishes to return to Canada and I plan to accompany and take care of that person, both financially and physically. Stripping me of my PR status would definitely cause hardships for that person and myself. Then would it be more likely that the H&C factors will be considered and possibly be granted?

5. Moving to Canada - I'm still a bit confused regarding my legal status. Last time I entered Canada, I was told that I am still a PR, and thus infers that I have the right to live and work in Canada. But I'm told here that I need to apply for a PRTD. If I am still a PR, can't I just move to Canada now and live there?

Thanks again for clarification.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
antho065 said:
Thanks kateg.
Going back to:

1. Entered as a PR or Visitor - You mentioned I entered as a PR. But my US passport was not stamped with anything, whether a visitor stamp or a PR stamp (if there's such thing). The officer also mentioned he couldn't find anything on the computer with the IMM1000 number as well. So if my passport wasn't stamped, then does that mean I entered as a PR? But if I entered as a PR and they don't have anything on the computer, how would they know that I entered as a PR? Let's say when I need to prove my RO, how can I request the entry/exit records when it's not in the computer?

2. Entering via a Canadian private car - So just to clarify, would I be able to cross the land borders with my IMM1000, a US passport and possibly show my Canadian driver license, and I don't need to apply for a new PRTD to cross each time?

3. PRTD - Let's say I applied for a PRTD, and they granted a PRTD. Then does it mean I can apply for a new PR card? Also, can I still travel around North America (US & Canada) while my new PR card application is still in process?

4. H&C - Thank you for highlighting the H&C factors. So if the H&C factors are related to medical H&C, e.g. a Canadian citizen family member is diagnosed with life-threatening illnesses (obviously I have no control over that), and I have been accompanying that person for years abroad. (side note, I was also removed from Canada as a minor) That person now wishes to return to Canada and I plan to accompany and take care of that person, both financially and physically. Stripping me of my PR status would definitely cause hardships for that person and myself. Then would it be more likely that the H&C factors will be considered and possibly be granted?

5. Moving to Canada - I'm still a bit confused regarding my legal status. Last time I entered Canada, I was told that I am still a PR, and thus infers that I have the right to live and work in Canada. But I'm told here that I need to apply for a PRTD. If I am still a PR, can't I just move to Canada now and live there?

Thanks again for clarification.
How you entered Canada is kinda irrelevant. If asked by CBSA you should always state you are a PR, never lie to them and tell them otherwise. There are no stamps regardless. If you are able to enter into Canada without being reported for failure to meet your RO, then you can remain in Canada until your RO is in compliance and then you can apply for a new PR card. You are entitled to work and do as any other Canadian can do without issues.

The more you cross back and forth without meeting your RO, the higher the likelihood that you might encounter an officer willing to take the time to write the report to have your PR revoked. H & C concerns do NOT matter in regards to a job, which it sounds like you travel for. Traveling with parents previously won't work for H & C concerns now. You have already entered Canada once after no longer needing to be with your parents, so those H & C reasons would no longer apply.

Currently, there is no reason you need to apply for a PRTD to enter Canada as you hold a visa exempt passport. Once those rules change, then you will have a harder time. I suggest you follow through and get into Canada and get your RO under control first, if that is your goal, then look at your need to travel for work, pleasure or other. You have to make a choice because you won't be able to continue as you have previously, it WILL catch up with you and likely it will not be a good outcome.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Add to that, if you apply for a PR TD based on HC grounds and you get it, then you can apply to renew your PR card right away. However, a new PR card only excuses you from not meeting the RO in the past, not in the future so even with a new PR card, if the immigration officers have been writing comments about you in the system and you get flagged as someone who may not meet the RO and you continue going back and forth, there is still the chance that some IO will eventually report you and you could still lose your PR.

My advise, enter Canada one more time and stay. Change your job if you have to. Stay at least 2 years and then you are good again.

Another option, take your chances until you get reported. When you get reported, renounce your PR status. You can still enter Canada as a visitor after that. They wont hold a grudge just because you lost your PR due to not meeting the RO. You can even apply for PR again if you still qualify.

anandgagrawal

Dec 20, 2017
If you are talking about returning to India soon after landing, before you have received the PR card, there is no problem. You will qualify for a PR TD to facilitate your return to Canada . . . so long as you are not outside Canada for 1095 days after the date of landing (within the first five years after landing).

This is very common. Many, many new immigrants cannot immediately settle in Canada within the time they must land (the PR visa is only valid for a limited period of time, typically well less than a year -- actual date is limited to one year since medical or date passport expires). Thus, many come to Canada to land and very soon return home.

As long as they are back in Canada within the next three years they are OK. A new PR can be outside Canada for up to 1094 days within the first five years without being in breach of the PR RO. Of course it is risky to cut it that close (especially since cutting it close will not allow the PR any opportunity to travel abroad at all, or very minimally, for the next two years). Many immigrants go home, spend a year or even two, before making the trip to actually settle in Canada.
THANK YOU! This post is really good information, and clarifies a lot of doubts about the PRTD. Thank you!

Spider-Man

Apr 30, 2018
Hi everyone,

I had a situation where I need help from this community. My wife son and I landed first time on.12 March 2018 from.UAE. Post this my wife and son left Canada on 30th March (without PR card) while I have stayed back. My wife needs to travel back in June back to Canada and hence after reaching UAE she applied for PRTD maybe around 10april.Till now Prtd has not come (30 April.) However mine and my son's PR Card has come via mail today. Now we are worried why only my wife's PR card hasn't come if all of us applied together. Has the application for PRTD has affected the Pr card process. Does the PR card team see that a PRTD is in process so.they stalled her new PR card ?