+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Advice/Clarification

May 13, 2020
Hello All!

Firstly apologies if this has already been answered somewhere already.

My PR was approved last week and I’m currently waiting for my card to arrive. I have a short trip to the US planned in early October and understand that I will need a PR travel document in order to return to Canada. Am I correct in thinking that I will need to mail my passport to a visa office in the US and then wait for them to issue me the document? I’m only going to be there for 5 days and am concerned it won’t be processed in time for my return.

Any insight regarding the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All!

Firstly apologies if this has already been answered somewhere already.

My PR was approved last week and I’m currently waiting for my card to arrive. I have a short trip to the US planned in early October and understand that I will need a PR travel document in order to return to Canada. Am I correct in thinking that I will need to mail my passport to a visa office in the US and then wait for them to issue me the document? I’m only going to be there for 5 days and am concerned it won’t be processed in time for my return.

Any insight regarding the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You are unlikely to get a PRTD in 5 days. You can fly to the closest US border and drive over the border with your COPR and proof that you are waiting for your PR card. You don’t need a PR card to cross the land border. Are you a US citizen?

May 13, 2020
You are unlikely to get a PRTD in 5 days. You can fly to the closest US border and drive over the border with your COPR and proof that you are waiting for your PR card. You don’t need a PR card to cross the land border. Are you a US citizen?
Ahhh, interesting!

So, I’m in Toronto and am planning a trip to New York. Unfortunately I don’t drive but there are coach/train travel options that would get me to NY from Toronto. That might be my best option.

Also, I’m British.

Thanks