+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"provide details such as who attended?" what details? and why?

Ahmisht

Star Member
Aug 14, 2021
I am filling out a relationship questionnaire after requesting IRCC to add my spouse to my PR application.

In a number of questions, IRCC has asked for "who attended" the engagement, wedding, reception.

For example, "Was there a reception? If so please provide details such as when, where, and who attended."

What details do they want about the attendees? Their names? or relationship with the groom/bride? or both? I personally don't want to provide the names of our guests or relatives, because that maybe a violation of privacy for some. Will providing relationship do the job? For example, 4 aunts, 4 uncles, 6 cousins, etc. Or must names be provided? If so, are full names required?

notagoodlawyer

May 30, 2023
I am filling out a relationship questionnaire after requesting IRCC to add my spouse to my PR application.

In a number of questions, IRCC has asked for "who attended" the engagement, wedding, reception.

For example, "Was there a reception? If so please provide details such as when, where, and who attended."

What details do they want about the attendees? Their names? or relationship with the groom/bride? or both? I personally don't want to provide the names of our guests or relatives, because that maybe a violation of privacy for some. Will providing relationship do the job? For example, 4 aunts, 4 uncles, 6 cousins, etc. Or must names be provided? If so, are full names required?
Generally, they want to see that your wedding has friends and family attending so it legitimizes your wedding event. What I did and was told to do was to just give who is in each picture and what is happening. example: uncle Bob goodman, aunt jerome badman etc etc. its not really an invasion of privacy because thats the whole point of wedding photos and then applying for sponsorship where you must prove your wedding was not a fake one

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
You would need to name immediate family members for you and your wife: Parents, siblings, and children, if any. In other official IRCC forms, applicants are asked to provide the names, dates of birth, and addresses of those family members. If you are writing freely, write a description of the venue, how many attended, did you serve food or not, whether it was day or night, and maybe a description of the atmosphere as there was a dance, singing, or chanting. Give the IRCC office something credible to read and check off.

Ahmisht

Star Member
Aug 14, 2021
Generally, they want to see that your wedding has friends and family attending so it legitimizes your wedding event. What I did and was told to do was to just give who is in each picture and what is happening. example: uncle Bob goodman, aunt jerome badman etc etc. its not really an invasion of privacy because thats the whole point of wedding photos and then applying for sponsorship where you must prove your wedding was not a fake one
Hmm, thanks. But the question is asking "who attended" not asking about who the people are in the photo (even though I will do so). So, in that case, would you list the full names of all the attendees? It that even realistic, say to name 100 attendees?? And I really don't understand how if I am able to name everyone in my wedding in any way proves it was not a fake wedding? If a person wanted to fake a wedding, they can easily assign random names.

Ahmisht

Star Member
Aug 14, 2021
You would need to name immediate family members for you and your wife: Parents, siblings, and children, if any. In other official IRCC forms, applicants are asked to provide the names, dates of birth, and addresses of those family members. If you are writing freely, write a description of the venue, how many attended, did you serve food or not, whether it was day or night, and maybe a description of the atmosphere as there was a dance, singing, or chanting. Give the IRCC office something credible to read and check off.
I am asking about the attendees in a ceremony (outside of immediate family members). Do I need to provide their full names? What if there were 50+ guests? Do I have to give relationship and full names of all of them? What if there were 100+ guests? How is this even remotely realistic?

Sonikell

Apr 24, 2023
In my opinion a general description of close family members in attendance is fine. For eg, immediate uncles and aunt and cousins. You can individually name people in photos especially close relatives since it’s gives the officer the ability to judge that the wedding was not staged.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
We did not give a complete guest list. It was something like "Wife's parents, siblings, and 20 other aunts/uncles/cousins. Husband's mother, step dad, father, grandmother, and 6 aunts/uncles/cousins. The rest of the guests (63) were friends of either the bride or groom." Then yes, separately on the wedding pictures we wrote out the full names of the close family members in the pictures

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hmm, thanks. But the question is asking "who attended" not asking about who the people are in the photo (even though I will do so). So, in that case, would you list the full names of all the attendees? It that even realistic, say to name 100 attendees?? And I really don't understand how if I am able to name everyone in my wedding in any way proves it was not a fake wedding? If a person wanted to fake a wedding, they can easily assign random names.
We only listed close family members and a few other key people, others just categorized (loosely) eg other extended family, university friends, etc.

Reactions: YVR123

Sonikell

Apr 24, 2023

I think this reply is more of about the way you simply describe your wedding if you were writing an essay. Describe enough to get you point across but not boring enough to sound like a supermarket shopping list.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am asking about the attendees in a ceremony (outside of immediate family members). Do I need to provide their full names? What if there were 50+ guests? Do I have to give relationship and full names of all of them? What if there were 100+ guests? How is this even remotely realistic?
provide something the make sense. I don't think IRCC wants a list of 100+ guests.
Name of families and may be a few friends to show that you have invited people outside of families.

notagoodlawyer

May 30, 2023
Oh I didnt even do that, sorry thought you were talking about photos. For that question I just wrote the amount of guests. Approx. I also attached wedding invite cards to show they were being sent

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think this reply is more of about the way you simply describe your wedding if you were writing an essay. Describe enough to get you point across but not boring enough to sound like a supermarket shopping list.
'Shopping list' may not be the worst way to approach. Largely the point of most of these - and what's easier for officers to evaluate - is concise, factual, separate points.

In other words: answer the factual points of who attended and what ceremonies were held. "Who attended" - details weighted by importance (it is more meaningful that parents and grandparents attended, less meaningful that you invited the guy who administers your work computers). Name the most important, group the rest, numbers for most ('50 other guests work and temple' is fine).

Ceremonies etc: by all means do a checklist of all important ceremonies and events held - esp if these are considered culturally significant, doubly so if in context of an arranged marriage. IRCC officers prefer facts with evidence (photos) to romantic novels about how perfect your wedding was - you can leave out the 50 doves that were released when the couple finally kissed.

Ceremonies: that includes honeymoon and time the couple spent together esp residing together before and after the wedding.