+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected person being sponsored by my PR wife

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Hello, I'm a Protected Person since Nov. 2017, but I'm having my wife (PR) sponsoring me in Canada since June 2017(we're near to an end of the process).

Now I have two questions:
1. Will I be getting my passport back when I become a Permanent Resident??

2. If yes, will I be able to use my passport to travel back home? ((Since I got PR through a spousal sponsorship))

Reactions: YousifBreesam

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I'm a Protected Person since Nov. 2017, but I'm having my wife (PR) sponsoring me in Canada since June 2017(we're near to an end of the process).

Now I have two questions:
1. Will I be getting my passport back when I become a Permanent Resident??

2. If yes, will I be able to use my passport to travel back home? ((Since I got PR through a spousal sponsorship))
No you can't travel back home. You are a protected person. Once you are a citizen you can travel back home but I still wouldn't suggest visiting for quite a while. Given you are in danger don't know why you would want to return.

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
No you can't travel back home. You are a protected person. Once you are a citizen you can travel back home but I still wouldn't suggest visiting for quite a while. Given you are in danger don't know why you would want to return.
If his wife sponsors him, doesn't it mean that his PR's category won't be REF-CDA (in Canada protected persons) but instead it'll be FC# (family sponsorship)? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: KandyK