+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prospective Student for January, May, and September 2019 Intake Gather Here For Question and Answer

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Hello,

Have you ever watched Game of thrones, what did Ygritte always say about John Snow? She always said to him (You know nothing John Snow).. lol

Now someone made inaccurate assessment of your academic record based on just as English test. But the school looks at your application holistically. From your undergraduate transcripts, to when you last graduated, to your GPA, etc, before they come to a final decision as to whether to issue you an LOA.. To be frank LOA is the easiest thing to get, but the harder part is to get a study permit. You did not state whether you have relevant work experience, or you are self sponsored or will be sponsored by a third party. All these will come into play when it is time to apply for your study permit. Let's talk when you have your LOA... No charges its free I can offer you free advise and help you understand your chances of getting a favorable study permit approval..

Cheers
Your response is very perceptive. You are correct on two points, approval is based on merit and more important financial status of sponsors, and also travel history of the applicant. If an applicant has 'struggling' sponsors, advanced in age, and does not have previous travel history, that is an absolute recipe for disaster. Advanced in age with no international travel history is like 25, 26, 27 years, talk less of being over 30 with no significant work experience.. So information is power.. You can choose to disregard it, or proceed blindly and hope for the best.. Typical of my people to always 'hope' for the best without arming themselves without the right knowledge.

Cheers
...actually Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss. Pseud Poseur, i know nothing, learning is a process and i certainly will be much obliged to learn from you with gratitude.

BTW for an international student in(was in) a Canadian university of repute, and as a top notch, your grammatical use is inappropriate(at the bolded).

Regards,
From a student who knows nothing!

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Hi Guys,

Its so sad that I received my first rejection today from Uni of Saskatchewan.
My profile is
B.Sc Software Engineering - 3.09 CGPA (Idk how much is this in percentage but for sure above 70%)
3 months internship and more than 1 Year work experience as a software engineer.
Distinction for Final Year Project

Idk why they rejected me, But I applied to M.Sc Computer Science - Thesis option. What do you guys think about my profile is it that weak to make it to grad school?
Science courses/programs relating to Engineering and Health are always very competitive, and with a CGPA as yours applying to UofS that always experience a huge inflow of applications with limited offer space for international student says it all on why you were rejected.

Its sagely to either apply to some other universities of less popularity(PGWP approved) or a PGD programs in colleges which certainly would be less tedious in related field to CS.

When did you apply and when did you get rejected, and for what intake?

Reactions: Dunite94 and Omofar

Ezuu

Star Member
Jan 20, 2019
Science courses/programs relating to Engineering and Health are always very competitive, and with a CGPA as yours applying to UofS that always experience a huge inflow of applications with limited offer space for international student says it all on why you were rejected.

Its sagely to either apply to some other universities of less popularity(PGWP approved) or a PGD programs in colleges which certainly would be less tedious in related field to CS.

When did you apply and when did you get rejected, and for what intake?
I applied last November, and it was for Fall 2019 term. They email me about rejection today.

Which universities do you suggest me to apply? You seem like you have some experiences and I have found many of your answers on this thread very helpful

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
...actually Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss. Pseud Poseur, i know nothing, learning is a process and i certainly will be much obliged to learn from you with gratitude.

BTW for an international student in(was in) a Canadian university of repute, and as a top notch, your grammatical use is inappropriate(at the bolded).

Regards,
From a student who knows nothing!
John Snow (Bro),

You take yourself too seriously, it was just a harmless joke. I see you are quite sensitive about this. I humbly apologize and mean't no harm.

With regards to your qualifications, I am not impressed it means nothing, I only came here to share ideas, not vet people's qualifications. So you may wish to continue vet my use of English (as used on an informal social media site) it makes no difference to the reality on ground, and to the fact that I am more aware of the Canadian study permit process than you.

I only desire is that you should give people accurate info, and stop dealing in false hope business. So they can either meet up to the minimum eligibility requirements or look for alternatives that can better suit their qualifications, that's all.. If you did not understand that, now you do.

Have a lovely day.

Cheers

Omofar.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

Its so sad that I received my first rejection today from Uni of Saskatchewan.
My profile is
B.Sc Software Engineering - 3.09 CGPA (Idk how much is this in percentage but for sure above 70%)
3 months internship and more than 1 Year work experience as a software engineer.
Distinction for Final Year Project

Idk why they rejected me, But I applied to M.Sc Computer Science - Thesis option. What do you guys think about my profile is it that weak to make it to grad school?
Hello Ezuu,

This was the advice I gave to someone exactly in your shoes on another tread.. Please read through, you may find it useful. Cheers.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about the rejection of your application. Here are a few tips you need to have at the back of your mind for getting into masters programs in Canada.

1. There are two types of Masters program, and they are Masters by Course work and Masters by Research (or Thesis).

2. For Masters by course work, it is a bit easier to get into because you will be paying your tuition fee, the school will easily grant you an offer once you meet the minimum requirements.

3. For Masters by Research (Thesis), it is much harder. Here your work is based on actual research. The PI (Principal Investigator) will be the one to pay for your fees, and also pay for your subsistence (other wise known as stipends).

4. You will agree with me that more people will be trying to get into Item 3, including Canadian citizens, making the competition much stiffer.

5. Also the cost of funding an international student is 3 times the cost of funding a Canadian student. The PI has limited funds/academic grants, and will want to maximize it. So instead of taking one international student, he is likely to take 3 Canadian students and get more output from the limited grant he has.

Based on the aforementioned, I would suggest you look for Fee paying Masters degree programs e.g University of Windsor, or at University of Western Ontario. The degree designation will be different M.Sc and M.Eng.. (The M.Eng will be the fee paying one). If you meet the minimum academic requirement and you can afford to pay your fee, then your chances of getting in will be geometrically increased, but for M.Sc research/thesis programs, your chances of getting in are very low.

Finally, please stop looking at the schools with the big names. Try the smaller schools, there is less competition there.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best.

Cheers

Omofar

Reactions: Ezuu

Ezuu

Star Member
Jan 20, 2019
Hello Ezuu,

This was the advice I gave to someone exactly in your shoes on another tread.. Please read through, you may find it useful. Cheers.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about the rejection of your application. Here are a few tips you need to have at the back of your mind for getting into masters programs in Canada.

1. There are two types of Masters program, and they are Masters by Course work and Masters by Research (or Thesis).

2. For Masters by course work, it is a bit easier to get into because you will be paying your tuition fee, the school will easily grant you an offer once you meet the minimum requirements.

3. For Masters by Research (Thesis), it is much harder. Here your work is based on actual research. The PI (Principal Investigator) will be the one to pay for your fees, and also pay for your subsistence (other wise known as stipends).

4. You will agree with me that more people will be trying to get into Item 3, including Canadian citizens, making the competition much stiffer.

5. Also the cost of funding an international student is 3 times the cost of funding a Canadian student. The PI has limited funds/academic grants, and will want to maximize it. So instead of taking one international student, he is likely to take 3 Canadian students and get more output from the limited grant he has.

Based on the aforementioned, I would suggest you look for Fee paying Masters degree programs e.g University of Windsor, or at University of Western Ontario. The degree designation will be different M.Sc and M.Eng.. (The M.Eng will be the fee paying one). If you meet the minimum academic requirement and you can afford to pay your fee, then your chances of getting in will be geometrically increased, but for M.Sc research/thesis programs, your chances of getting in are very low.

Finally, please stop looking at the schools with the big names. Try the smaller schools, there is less competition there.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best.

Cheers

Omofar
Makes a lotta sense, thanks man. I was just hoping i would make it, cause I really don't think my profile is that bad as when I converted to percentage it stands somewhere around 85%. Now that I'm aware of this things, I will do my homework and see if I can make it for Fall term, if not I will keep applying to those Universities for Winter Term.

Reactions: Omofar

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
John Snow (Bro),

You take yourself too seriously, it was just a harmless joke. I see you are quite sensitive about this. I humbly apologize and mean't no harm.

With regards to your qualifications, I am not impressed it means nothing, I only came here to share ideas, not vet people's qualifications. So you may wish to continue vet my use of English (as used on an informal social media site) it makes no difference to the reality on ground, and to the fact that I am more aware of the Canadian study permit process than you.

I only desire is that you should give people accurate info, and stop dealing in false hope business. So they can either meet up to the minimum eligibility requirements or look for alternatives that can better suit their qualifications, that's all.. If you did not understand that, now you do.

Have a lovely day.

Cheers

Omofar.
Kudos, you really drunk in knowledge but in your own wild reality!

trevetras

Star Member
Jan 20, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Sydney, Ottawa, Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
25-11-2022
AOR Received.
25-11-2022
I need advise. Is my chance of having my study permit approval good if given the ff:

I am currently finishing my undergrad in psychology. however, i will be taking a different path (media communications/advertising) in canada for diploma program. To support the career change, I have been a freelance photographer for 2 years now shooting for brands and magazines. I joined an advertising competition in school last 2017. Late last year, I interned for a photographer because of my interest in the field.

I will be including these info in my SOP.

Thank you.

Inderpal13

Feb 8, 2019
Hello

I am seeking advise from this forum..i am 35 male done my bechlors b.cam (computer aided management) in 2005 thereafter 2 years distance learning program MBA completed in 2009 with 65% after that persued my carrier in marketing & sales field since 2007 till august2018..now i am seeking immigration towards canada under express entry however my ielts scores were low as per 7778 expectation..further not to waste time & money i changed my mind

Now i am planning to take study as an option in p.g diploma in my managemet domain..
Pls suggest
1- This age is apprpriate to get approval from visa officer
2- if i go for ielts now i shall get 6.5 overall & 6 each in all modules wud it be fine.
3-if i get ielts score with me in mid of march shall i get seats for fall 2019intake.
4-offer letters from colleges can be requested before ielts scorecard or after scorecard.

Looking forward to get appropirate feedback on this & highly appriciated.

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
I need advise. Is my chance of having my study permit approval good if given the ff:

I am currently finishing my undergrad in psychology. however, i will be taking a different path (media communications/advertising) in canada for diploma program. To support the career change, I have been a freelance photographer for 2 years now shooting for brands and magazines. I joined an advertising competition in school last 2017. Late last year, I interned for a photographer because of my interest in the field.

I will be including these info in my SOP.

Thank you.
Second thing after proof/source of funds the VOs consider is "the progression." The program you about to dive into doesn't necessarily portray that self progression(this doesn't mean its not feasible to get an approval but it would require great convincing). Why doing a Diploma after a B.A. and why not a PGD/C or Masters which would in more sense be an actual profession. You can seriously write a detailed SOP stating convincing points on why you opt for a Diploma.

As you've also mentioned, your reasons for the change of career should be intuitively convincing. Think outside the box of possible reasons.

If you've done freelancing jobs as not to stay idle or to acquire experience, just stating it in your SOP won't sufficiently suffice with proper evidence to show your work histories which certainly you must provide a letter(employment letter), reference letters from the places you've done freelancing jobs, published articles in magazines/other publications, or any certification that shows your freelancing...

Its sagely to write an SOP with very important points backed with enough evidence like your employment histories etc. which certainly covers any study gaps

A lot of people has done a change in career and still got a decision given the approach tactics in presenting your application convincingly to the VO.

An applicant has the choice of either choosing a course that relates with a previous studies or work experience BUT the main issue is to be convincing in presenting yourself as a genuine student.

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Hello

I am seeking advise from this forum..i am 35 male done my bechlors b.cam (computer aided management) in 2005 thereafter 2 years distance learning program MBA completed in 2009 with 65% after that persued my carrier in marketing & sales field since 2007 till august2018..now i am seeking immigration towards canada under express entry however my ielts scores were low as per 7778 expectation..further not to waste time & money i changed my mind

Now i am planning to take study as an option in p.g diploma in my managemet domain..
Pls suggest
1- This age is apprpriate to get approval from visa officer
2- if i go for ielts now i shall get 6.5 overall & 6 each in all modules wud it be fine.
3-if i get ielts score with me in mid of march shall i get seats for fall 2019intake.
4-offer letters from colleges can be requested before ielts scorecard or after scorecard.

Looking forward to get appropirate feedback on this & highly appriciated.
With your age, now is the time to join the EE pool if your other requirements meets the eligibility of entering the pool i.e. work experience. You should want to know that despite IELTS is important while in the pool, other criteria can also boost your points up(check for your eligibility on cic website with the CRS to see if you will meet the scores with the other criteria age, work experience, academics etc)

To your other questions

1. Age is not necessarily a setback for a study permit if the applicant can prove to be a genuine student. I have seen quite a lot of applicants(elderly above 39) getting approval for UG and PGD

2. Your IELTS score is good to apply through SDS if your country is among those that are eligible

3. It depends if you've gotten admission for Fall intake as some schools have close/about closing, this varies from DLI. March is not too late though depending on the study permit processing time in your country and also whether you have the admission at hand already.

4. Given to the intention to apply to a college, getting an admission might be swift cause college admission isn't as tedious as a university.

You've to apply with your IELTS scorecard, or if you've happened to take any studies in English Language, just had the certification or letter proving it