+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of meeting residency obligation- unclear on what they need??

Callysykes

Oct 5, 2023
I have two questions:

1. Under Appendix A it states

If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more (
you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.)

We do meet this requirement so do we still need to provide supporting documents?

2. Under the list of Supporting documents it states you must provide copies showing residency in the 5 years before your application. One option is bank statements. So do you need to print bank statements for each month for 5 years??

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have two questions:

1. Under Appendix A it states

If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more (
you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.)

We do meet this requirement so do we still need to provide supporting documents?
After recent changes, yes.

2. Under the list of Supporting documents it states you must provide copies showing residency in the 5 years before your application. One option is bank statements. So do you need to print bank statements for each month for 5 years??
No, you only need to show one month (plus one other type of doc like tax return).

There seems to be confusion about this but what you read is correct: you provide documents SHOWING residency in the last five years. Yes, those documents won't 'show' every single day - that's fine.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
I share the confusion especially after calling IRCC a couple of times I received 3 completely different answers from 3 different customer support agents.
I asked using bank statements as an example.

these are the answers I received:

1. yes, all of them from the past 5 years,
2. no, just a few random ones from the last 5 years,
3. only covering 730 days, because that‘s what I need to prove,

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I share the confusion especially after calling IRCC a couple of times I received 3 completely different answers from 3 different customer support agents.
I asked using bank statements as an example.

these are the answers I received:

1. yes, all of them from the past 5 years,
2. no, just a few random ones from the last 5 years,
3. only covering 730 days, because that‘s what I need to prove,
The call centre people do not know. Although it is pretty recent, we've had multiple reports here that those renewing have been successful with just submitting a few documents. As the instructions state.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
The call centre people do not know. Although it is pretty recent, we've had multiple reports here that those renewing have been successful with just submitting a few documents. As the instructions state.
Hi,

Could you please point me to that thread? I was looking for something but wasn’t successful. Thanks a lot

Callysykes

Oct 5, 2023

No, you only need to show one month (plus one other type of doc like tax return).

There seems to be confusion about this but what you read is correct: you provide documents SHOWING residency in the last five years. Yes, those documents won't 'show' every single day - that's fine.
thanks so much- i feel like they need to give some better clarification around want they want

Reactions: armoured

Callysykes

Oct 5, 2023
Another question- Do you know if I can just print copies of tax returns from the CRA website or do they need to be on official letter head etc?

Also I am wondering if utility bills count as other proof?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Another question- Do you know if I can just print copies of tax returns from the CRA website or do they need to be on official letter head etc?

Also I am wondering if utility bills count as other proof?
Printed fine, yes, utility bills may also serve.