+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds while Landing in Toronto - please share recent experience!!

Shazii

Aug 16, 2019
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, I have my landing next week. I will be carrying 2000 dollars in cash and the rest would be bank statements of the local bank. These bank statements would be in rupees not dollars. My question is that will the bank statement be accepted or do the officers ask for dollars bank statement and not the local currency.

Please advice. Thanks

madscientist11

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, I have my landing next week. I will be carrying 2000 dollars in cash and the rest would be bank statements of the local bank. These bank statements would be in rupees not dollars. My question is that will the bank statement be accepted or do the officers ask for dollars bank statement and not the local currency.

Please advice. Thanks
Don't worry, it 's not a problem. They will just try to converse it to CAD using the daily rate.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Thanks a lot. How was your landing experience.

Would appreciate it others can also respond on my query.
Earlier reply is correct, banking institute provide statements in local currency and Poe officers will ask you to provide a ballpark figure in cad based on prevailing rate.

Ysiraj32

Aug 19, 2018
Here is my beautiful landing story.

My flight from Dubai on the 13th Nov early morning 2am via Amsterdam to Toronto.
When I reached Toronto with my husband and 2 year old son, the first passport control officer asked what visa are u in and what category have u applied for, we said FSW program and we were directed to the New immigration counter.
Where we were so overwhelmed by the welcome given by every officers we met.
We were asked very few questions, the basics.. How long is ur stay, how much money u have in hand, and when will u come back.
I had 3000 cad in hand and for 9 days and we said we will get back with in 5months.
And we were told, we have the visa for 5years and we have to live in the country for 2 ½ years to retain the status. And we gave our friends address for the PR card to be mailed.
We handed over the copies of the COPR and were asked to sign, and within few mins we were directed to SIN counter, where we applied for the SIN number.
And then there were two ladies who gave us a bag with the welcome to Canada kit and medical forms… and were asked to meet another officer to submit the B4 forms.
I worked hard to fill in the goods accompany and goods to follow forms, with lots of papers backing up with the proof of funds,
The officer didn’t want to check anything that I had, he took the B4 for goods to follow and the copies I attached and gave seals on the back of all the papers and gave us our copy with the seals and a print with the estimated value.
He didn’t check the proof of funds or ask us anything more. No Goods accompanying form was asked or checked.
And we were said WELCOME TO CANADA, congratulations now you are the Permanent resident 
Within 20 mins all the drama was over…
The feel of stepping on to the land of Canada..? Such a bliss…

We didn’t even have a look at our opportunity regarding our Jobs. We stayed 9 days in two different hotels. Sight-seeing.. And returned back home with 1500 dollars in hand 
We are getting back to Canada in next 2 years after making some money in Dubai.

Conclusion: I never wanted to leave the country, people were so kind to us, and the weather was awesome.
Though we are making good money in Dubai, I told we should get back to Canada ASAP and make it our home. Because it’s so beautiful out there…

Ask me any questions, ill try to reply my best.

Thanks for reading 
Thank you for sharing your positive experience. This was much needed !! :)

These days all that most of the people do is they share negative posts and comments trying to hold back people from coming !!

Once again much appreciate your efforts.

Ysiraj32

Aug 19, 2018
Hi,

I am landing soon in Toronto from Bangladesh.

CIC expects us to show Proof of Funds equivalent to: CAD $12,164 (or USD 8995.05 for myself).

I am requesting those who have already landed recently to share their experience regarding this.

Did the Border Control Agency ask for this entire amount in cash or demand drafts or could you just show a bank statement from your home country showing you had the funds in your name?

The reason I ask is that Bangladesh has very strict foreign currency restrictions and currently we cannot take more than USD 5000 dollars out of the country legally. This includes demand drafts, while we cannot obtain traveller's cheques from Bangladesh. So, it is quite hard for me to take this entire amount in cash with me when I land in Toronto. Also I don't feel really safe carrying all this cash on me.

But, I am equally worries about it being a 'problem' after I land if I can't show the full amount.

Hence, asking for recent newcomers to Canada to share their experiences in this regard while landing.

Thanks!
:D
Hi Rifat,

I just wanted to ask how did your landing go as i had the same query however, i was informed that the amount you declare as POF can be reflected simply through your bank statements at the time of landing canada border control and you can carry basic liquid cash for your initial requirements.

The POF shown initially at the time of application is merely applicable for that time only and not to be proved at the time of landing by carrying entire amount in cash or whatever.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hi Rifat,

I just wanted to ask how did your landing go as i had the same query however, i was informed that the amount you declare as POF can be reflected simply through your bank statements at the time of landing canada border control and you can carry basic liquid cash for your initial requirements.

The POF shown initially at the time of application is merely applicable for that time only and not to be proved at the time of landing by carrying entire amount in cash or whatever.
Your pof in app is essentially your proof to ircc that you can sustain yourself. Your pof at Poe is the same proof provided again at a different point in time. Someone can show same sources with an updated statement if they wish or they can show different sources. It is understood that funds/sources can change over a period of time and hence the reason. The bar for POF in terms of amount and need for it to convince Poe that it is yours still remains.

In terms of carrying them in person that is passenger's choice. It is usually prudent as a traveler however, to limit carrying cash for travel immediate purchases and advisable to carry cards (prepaid or travel or credit) for first few months. Rest of the funds can be directly transferred from Bank to bank or online or wire modes.

Hope that helps

Ysiraj32

Aug 19, 2018
Your pof in app is essentially your proof to ircc that you can sustain yourself. Your pof at Poe is the same proof provided again at a different point in time. Someone can show same sources with an updated statement if they wish or they can show different sources. It is understood that funds/sources can change over a period of time and hence the reason. The bar for POF in terms of amount and need for it to convince Poe that it is yours still remains.

In terms of carrying them in person that is passenger's choice. It is usually prudent as a traveler however, to limit carrying cash for travel immediate purchases and advisable to carry cards (prepaid or travel or credit) for first few months. Rest of the funds can be directly transferred from Bank to bank or online or wire modes.

Hope that helps
Pof at the time of application was purely bank statements only. So you mean to say i can just bring bank statement copies latest and that would suffice ?

D

Deleted member 826724

My flight from Dubai on the 13th Nov early morning 2am via Amsterdam to Toronto.
When I reached Toronto with my husband and 2 year old son, the first passport control officer asked what visa are u in and what category have u applied for, we said FSW program and we were directed to the New immigration counter.
We were asked very few questions, the basics.. How long is ur stay, how much money u have in hand, and when will u come back.
I had 3000 cad in hand and for 9 days and we said we will get back with in 5months.
And we were told, we have the visa for 5years and we have to live in the country for 2 ½ years to retain the status. And we gave our friends address for the PR card to be mailed.
We handed over the copies of the COPR and were asked to sign, and within few mins we were directed to SIN counter, where we applied for the SIN number.
And then there were two ladies who gave us a bag with the welcome to Canada kit and medical forms… and were asked to meet another officer to submit the B4 forms.
I worked hard to fill in the goods accompany and goods to follow forms, with lots of papers backing up with the proof of funds,
The officer didn’t want to check anything that I had, he took the B4 for goods to follow and the copies I attached and gave seals on the back of all the papers and gave us our copy with the seals and a print with the estimated value.
He didn’t check the proof of funds or ask us anything more. No Goods accompanying form was asked or checked.
And we were said WELCOME TO CANADA, congratulations now you are the Permanent resident 

We didn’t even have a look at our opportunity regarding our Jobs. We stayed 9 days in two different hotels. Sight-seeing.. And returned back home with 1500 dollars in hand 

Conclusion: I never wanted to leave the country, people were so kind to us, and the weather was awesome.
Though we are making good money in Dubai, I told we should get back to Canada ASAP and make it our home. Because it’s so beautiful out there…

Thanks for reading 
Thank you for being elaborate indeed. It is helping me

rishi14586

Sep 17, 2019

Thanks for reading 
He didn't ask you that, if u are leaving vanada within 5 days. Then why he should apply for pr cards, as how will u get pr cards in Dubai and come back to canada

Mar 22, 2020

Thanks for reading 

Thanks for reading 
Hi Kabby!!

Very positive story!!

Do you mind sharing how you bought money into Canada? I have been told that settlement funds (money bought from outside Canada) are non taxable?

Thanks!!

harrykaur

Feb 6, 2020

Thanks for reading 