+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds while Landing in Toronto - please share recent experience!!

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
Did you use this service? if so, is it effective?
Thanks in advance
No didn't use this. I landed in Canada Vancouver a week back. Do not worry about this. Just have enough funds in your card and cash in Canadian dollars from your home country. This is strictly for your own needs.
At the immigration they do not bother with any paperwork or proofs. They just ask few general questions for formality. It's very relaxed and there are no official rules for fund requirements. Just carry your old bank statement you used a time time of application. And just as a precaution, take out a fresh statement close to your departing date.

Reactions: fridge03 and Jakev

MarlenTleu88

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Hi,

I am landing soon in Toronto from Bangladesh.

CIC expects us to show Proof of Funds equivalent to: CAD $12,164 (or USD 8995.05 for myself).

I am requesting those who have already landed recently to share their experience regarding this.

Did the Border Control Agency ask for this entire amount in cash or demand drafts or could you just show a bank statement from your home country showing you had the funds in your name?

The reason I ask is that Bangladesh has very strict foreign currency restrictions and currently we cannot take more than USD 5000 dollars out of the country legally. This includes demand drafts, while we cannot obtain traveller's cheques from Bangladesh. So, it is quite hard for me to take this entire amount in cash with me when I land in Toronto. Also I don't feel really safe carrying all this cash on me.

But, I am equally worries about it being a 'problem' after I land if I can't show the full amount.

Hence, asking for recent newcomers to Canada to share their experiences in this regard while landing.

Thanks!
:D
They didnt ask me anything.
Didnt show them anything.
Waiting for my PR card

Reactions: fridge03

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
The immigration does ask how much you're carrying, and its a mere formality- I carried only 12,000 (10,000 in Forex card and remaining in cash), and wasn't asked anything.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The declaring carrying $10,000 or over is for all travellers to try and catch people attempting to launder money that is from illegal sources. Just in case anyone is wondering. Not related to immigration. Just take as much cash as you need or your family while you travel and carry a paper copy for proof of funds. Now that everything can be done via cards this is less of an issue. More importantly notify your bank that you will be travelling abroad so your accounts are frozen for security reasons. Also see if there is a partnership between your home country bank and a Canadian bank so you can use Canadian ATMs for free while you set up Canadian bank account.

Reactions: YVR123 and fridge03

Ngaa10dwe

Mar 14, 2018
Zimbabwe
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Pretoria
I landed in Toronto this week and was not asked for POF. I brought 5k CAD with me and a bank letter showing I have necessary funds, but I was not asked to show it at all.
That's very helpful thanks. i've heard a few people mention that they don't really ask for POF when you land.

AlieninVancouver

Apr 16, 2017
Rwanda
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Tanzania
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-06-2017
Passport Req..
07-09-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2017
Hi,

I am landing soon in Toronto from Bangladesh.

CIC expects us to show Proof of Funds equivalent to: CAD $12,164 (or USD 8995.05 for myself).

I am requesting those who have already landed recently to share their experience regarding this.

Did the Border Control Agency ask for this entire amount in cash or demand drafts or could you just show a bank statement from your home country showing you had the funds in your name?

The reason I ask is that Bangladesh has very strict foreign currency restrictions and currently we cannot take more than USD 5000 dollars out of the country legally. This includes demand drafts, while we cannot obtain traveller's cheques from Bangladesh. So, it is quite hard for me to take this entire amount in cash with me when I land in Toronto. Also I don't feel really safe carrying all this cash on me.

But, I am equally worries about it being a 'problem' after I land if I can't show the full amount.

Hence, asking for recent newcomers to Canada to share their experiences in this regard while landing.

Thanks!
:D
I landed 2 weeks and when I was asked about funds (the agent was a very cordial fellow and made me feel very welcome and at ease). I told him I had USD 7000 in cash and the rest was on an account at home which I could access with a debit card that I had on me. He nodded and kept typing. I asked him if he wanted to see the cash or bank statement and he said 'No, you're alright' and that was the end of it.

Did you land already?

Good luck with your settlement.

- The Alien

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Pretty easy to carry some recent bank statements. Also could offer to show online banking or debit card receipt. Pretty easy to function without much cash these days but would recommend contacting banks and credit cards to advise that you will be in Canada. Also check for partner banks to limit fees until you have things set up in Canada. You can only imagine what people had to go through 25+ years ago.

Tony20182017

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
AOR Received.
19-09-2017
Pretty easy to carry some recent bank statements. Also could offer to show online banking or debit card receipt. Pretty easy to function without much cash these days but would recommend contacting banks and credit cards to advise that you will be in Canada. Also check for partner banks to limit fees until you have things set up in Canada. You can only imagine what people had to go through 25+ years ago.
People were fine 25 years back too. They just carried international money orders or something like that. The expectations were similar for those times.

sidganesh

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
10-03-2018
AOR Received.
10-03-2018
Passport Req..
30-04-2018
VISA ISSUED...
14-05-2018
Hi geeco, I did the same. Opened an account with bank of Nova Scotia before I landed in Canada and wire transferred funds. They allow pre-arrival online account opening from 16 countries. I used the confirmation of funds transfer as proof of funds when i arrived in Canada.
The process is simple and takes 10 mins. Go to: http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,7193,00.html.
All the best!
This is very useful. Thanks.

Jtahir

Star Member
May 21, 2017
I plan to land in July I guess I will open an account in Scotia Bank and deposit 3000 dollars in that account and carry the rest with me. Or hmm maybe get a bank draft and keep a thousand bucks on me and deposit the draft once I land.

Ashsha

Star Member
Oct 10, 2018
Here is my beautiful landing story.

My flight from Dubai on the 13th Nov early morning 2am via Amsterdam to Toronto.
When I reached Toronto with my husband and 2 year old son, the first passport control officer asked what visa are u in and what category have u applied for, we said FSW program and we were directed to the New immigration counter.
Where we were so overwhelmed by the welcome given by every officers we met.
We were asked very few questions, the basics.. How long is ur stay, how much money u have in hand, and when will u come back.
I had 3000 cad in hand and for 9 days and we said we will get back with in 5months.
And we were told, we have the visa for 5years and we have to live in the country for 2 ½ years to retain the status. And we gave our friends address for the PR card to be mailed.
We handed over the copies of the COPR and were asked to sign, and within few mins we were directed to SIN counter, where we applied for the SIN number.
And then there were two ladies who gave us a bag with the welcome to Canada kit and medical forms… and were asked to meet another officer to submit the B4 forms.
I worked hard to fill in the goods accompany and goods to follow forms, with lots of papers backing up with the proof of funds,
The officer didn’t want to check anything that I had, he took the B4 for goods to follow and the copies I attached and gave seals on the back of all the papers and gave us our copy with the seals and a print with the estimated value.
He didn’t check the proof of funds or ask us anything more. No Goods accompanying form was asked or checked.
And we were said WELCOME TO CANADA, congratulations now you are the Permanent resident 
Within 20 mins all the drama was over…
The feel of stepping on to the land of Canada..? Such a bliss…

We didn’t even have a look at our opportunity regarding our Jobs. We stayed 9 days in two different hotels. Sight-seeing.. And returned back home with 1500 dollars in hand 
We are getting back to Canada in next 2 years after making some money in Dubai.

Conclusion: I never wanted to leave the country, people were so kind to us, and the weather was awesome.
Though we are making good money in Dubai, I told we should get back to Canada ASAP and make it our home. Because it’s so beautiful out there…

Ask me any questions, ill try to reply my best.

Thanks for reading 
Really awesome story!!
So are you in Canada now?
So when you first left in 9 days, you still had the PR for Canada?
How does that work?

Meow1234

Oct 8, 2017
Hello,

I have a query regarding how to carry proof of funds while first landing in Çanada.

1) For a Single Applicant, the proof of funds that has to be declared while filing the PR application is Approx. 12K CAD.

Do I need to carry this entire amount to Canada in the form of cash, Forex card, DD Etc ?

2) If the answer to the above is a YES then as per the below links, do I need to declare the amount at the immigration ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html

3) If I plan to carry an amount of 6k CAD as a combo of cash, forex card and DD along with a Bank Statement of 12k CAD from My Indian bank account, then do I have to declare at the immigration ?

Will it be considered as I am carrying 6K CAD thats below 10K CAD - Hence no declaration needed ?
OR
Will it be considered 6K CAD + 12K CAD - hence declaration needed ???

Does the 10K CAD declaration also include the bank letter ?

Thanking you in advance.

NFury

Nov 14, 2018
Hello,

I have a query regarding how to carry proof of funds while first landing in Çanada.

1) For a Single Applicant, the proof of funds that has to be declared while filing the PR application is Approx. 12K CAD.

Do I need to carry this entire amount to Canada in the form of cash, Forex card, DD Etc ?

2) If the answer to the above is a YES then as per the below links, do I need to declare the amount at the immigration ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html

3) If I plan to carry an amount of 6k CAD as a combo of cash, forex card and DD along with a Bank Statement of 12k CAD from My Indian bank account, then do I have to declare at the immigration ?

Will it be considered as I am carrying 6K CAD thats below 10K CAD - Hence no declaration needed ?
OR
Will it be considered 6K CAD + 12K CAD - hence declaration needed ???

Does the 10K CAD declaration also include the bank letter ?

Thanking you in advance.
  1. I landed roughly a month ago at Toronto airport (YYZ) and no one asked anything about proof of funds. however, what i did was - carried a couple of hundred in cash and around a thousand bucks in forex card.
  2. Then, after 3-4 days, I enquired around in the banks and opened an account in the bank of my liking. transferred the money from India bank account to Canada bank account which took another 2-3 day. Done.
Now, this is simple, since I stayed with my sister for the initial few weeks, $1000 were enough for me to get started. So the amount you might wanna bring in forex etc will depend on your circumstances. but try not to bring too much cash. have it in forex card instead as there are NO transaction charges when you pay by card here anywhere (withdrawal from the forex card will have $2-$3 charges per transaction).

Its ok to transfer more than $10K from India to Canada bank account, you can declare this when you file your tax return here. You have to declare at customs if you are carrying more than $10K with you while landing.

hope this helps.

Charisse13

Jan 30, 2019
Philippines
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
Dec. 21, 2018
Hi everyone! I am about to land as PR soon. I did wire transfer of money (above $10,000) to my hubby's bank account in canada from my country. Do i need to declare that upon landing or is it just the money that i am carrying on the time of landing that i should declare? Please enlighten me.

madscientist11

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
Hi everyone! I am about to land as PR soon. I did wire transfer of money (above $10,000) to my hubby's bank account in canada from my country. Do i need to declare that upon landing or is it just the money that i am carrying on the time of landing that i should declare? Please enlighten me.
Just the amount that you are carrying with you.