+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of funds for Spouse Sponsorship

styler247

Aug 1, 2018
Hi guys ... I'm new here :)

Had a question to ask. I and my wife want to move to Canada permanently early next year. I have a Canadian PR but my wife doesn't, so I'll need to sponsor my wife when I get to Canada. My wife also holds a Canadian TRV, so we're not sure yet if we are going via Inland Sponsorship or Outland. Also, by the time I file for my wife's sponsorship, we will have had a baby who will be a US Citizen (born in US).

Question is, when I will ultimately sponsor my wife for Canadian PR, do I need to show adequate funds in my bank account for any reason ? Most likely I will not have a job by that time in Canada as well because I would have just moved.

mandeep_29

Star Member
Jan 23, 2016
Hi guys ... I'm new here :)

Had a question to ask. I and my wife want to move to Canada permanently early next year. I have a Canadian PR but my wife doesn't, so I'll need to sponsor my wife when I get to Canada. My wife also holds a Canadian TRV, so we're not sure yet if we are going via Inland Sponsorship or Outland. Also, by the time I file for my wife's sponsorship, we will have had a baby who will be a US Citizen (born in US).

Question is, when I will ultimately sponsor my wife for Canadian PR, do I need to show adequate funds in my bank account for any reason ? Most likely I will not have a job by that time in Canada as well because I would have just moved.
No, you don’t need to show the funds just have to provide notice of assessment for 2017

trinirock

Star Member
May 2, 2017
App. Filed.......
8th March 2018
Doc's Request.
12th March 2018
AOR Received.
26th April 2018
File Transfer...
07th May 2018
Med's Request
10th August 2018
Med's Done....
25th August 2018
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
25th October 2018
VISA ISSUED...
12th November 2018
Hi I used this as a guide, it is the required amount for skilled workers (express entry)
How much money you will need
The amount of money you need to support your family is set by the size of your family. To calculate the size of your family you must include:

• yourself
  • your spouse or partner
  • your dependent children and
  • your spouse’s dependent children
This includes your spouse or dependent children who are permanent residents or Canadian citizens.

You will need to show proof that you have enough money when you apply to immigrate. This table shows the minimum amount you need. If you have more money, you should list the full amount in your profile or application.

Number of
Family Members
Funds Required
(in Canadian dollars)
$12,475
2 $15,531
3 $19,093
4 $23,181
5 $26,292
6 $29,652
7 $33,014
For each additional family member $3,361

Like I said its just a guide and i have been approved to sponsor my husband.

styler247

Aug 1, 2018
Ok ... So if my family consists of 3 people (including me) who will be in Canada, but I'm only sponsoring 1 person from them (my wife), do I need to show $12,475 or $19,093 ?

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
There’s no set amount to sponsor your spouse. The tables above are not applicable in your situation because it’s for express entry, not spousal sponsorship. Just show whatever you got.

You will also have to write a letter explaining how do you plan to support your spouse, any job prospects, how much money you expect to be making, maybe you have family in Canada who’d be willing to let you stay with them bills and rent free until you get on your feet and will write letters to confirm it, if you and your spouse got any diplomas include those copies with the application too to show that you got education and are employable so it would be easier for you to find a job...stuff like that. If you or your spouse got any savings include a proof of it too, but there’s no set amount.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
There’s no set amount to sponsor your spouse. The tables above are not applicable in your situation because it’s for express entry, not spousal sponsorship. Just show whatever you got.

You will also have to write a letter explaining how do you plan to support your spouse, any job prospects, how much money you expect to be making, maybe you have family in Canada who’d be willing to let you stay with them bills and rent free until you get on your feet and will write letters to confirm it, if you and your spouse got any diplomas include those copies with the application too to show that you got education and are employable so it would be easier for you to find a job...stuff like that. If you or your spouse got any savings include a proof of it too, but there’s no set amount.
:)

And aside from giving this as proof to CIC, this is actually a question to yourself on how to support your family once you moved over. A realistic plan that can sustain a family of 3 in Canada. (you can assume a few months of job searching as average)

styler247

Aug 1, 2018
But still guys, I need a ballpark figure, right ? .... Like *approximately*, what is a good amount to have in the bank when coming to Canada and I'm sponsoring my spouse ?

styler247

Aug 1, 2018
Again, like canuck_in_uk said, you don't need a figure. No need to overthink this.
Right .............. But I'm not understanding this, sorry ...

There must be *some* estimate as to how much CIC a person should typically have saved when sponsoring someone ..... For example, I think $1000 is obviously not enough .... $5000 may still be too less ... so may something like $12000 should be sufficient ?

I don't want my sponsor application to be rejected just because of funds ... So I need to know what is a good amount ...