+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship – Program Support Unit

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
Oh really?

You're throwing a fit because you've had to wait five months. It's been almost a year since I sent my application and no word yet. My ECAS status doesn't say IN PROCESS either, just APPLICATION RECEIVED. Apparently, an e-mail letter was sent to me, notifying me that my case got sent to PSU but I never received it. I only was told about it by one of their Call Centre agents.

I don't know what it is you think anyone in here can do for you. I'm not here for anything other than to watch for updates on the processing times for similar applicants with cases in the PSU.

One thing that "might" help is to contact your MP's office and have them involved in inquiring about the status of your case. It works best if your MP can get in touch with the Minister directly. If you are a Canadian citizen, you are eligible for this sort of help from your MP's office. That's what I'm planning to do and I'm gathering all the documentation I have on this case, especially since I regularly get those campaign flyers in my mail from my MP's office encouraging me to contact him with any immigration-related issues.

I even sent IRCC a Case Specific Inquiry yesterday, asking them for a mailing address for their PSU. I mentioned that I was going to involve my MP in this matter. I also mentioned that it does not make any sense that the Government of Canada promises foreign nationals a six-month processing time for their immigration applications but does not provide a time frame for services to its own citizens.
What is ur timeline ??
And applicant nationality ??

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
What is ur timeline ??
I just gave you my timeline; read my last post that you quoted. It's been one year since I applied.

And applicant nationality ??
Are you serious??
We're talking about applicants who are Canadian citizens, applying for proof of their citizenship, so nationality should be obvious.

Any additional nationality I might possess is completely irrelevant to the application process under discussion.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Are you serious??
We're talking about applicants who are Canadian citizens, applying for proof of their citizenship, so nationality should be obvious.

Any additional nationality I might possess is completely irrelevant to the application process under discussion.
No need to be rude if someone is asking you a question. If you don't think it's relevant, then don't respond, or don't be rude in responding. This negative attitude of yours does not help anyone, as dpenabill pointed out before.

Reactions: Rullence

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
No need to be rude if someone is asking you a question. If you don't think it's relevant, then don't respond, or don't be rude in responding. This negative attitude of yours does not help anyone, as dpenabill pointed out before.
No need to ask stupid questions. Does he want to know how may tattoos are in my ass too? What does that have to do with the price of coffee in Brazil?

My nationality (by which I assume he means the nationality I had before getting naturalized as a Canadian) is nobody's business.

Problem with posters like Suhail660 is that they're so self-centered it just pisses me off. He's had to wait just five short months and now he's running around in a panic fit because he takes the 5-month official processing time as carved in stone, something a 5-year old wouldn't fall for. The result: he comes in here and turns this thread into something it wasn't meant to be. Try THAT for rude!

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
No need to ask stupid questions. Does he want to know how may tattoos are in my ass too? What does that have to do with the price of coffee in Brazil?

My nationality (by which I assume he means the nationality I had before getting naturalized as a Canadian) is nobody's business.

Problem with posters like Suhail660 is that they're so self-centered it just pisses me off. He's had to wait just five short months and now he's running around in a panic fit because he takes the 5-month official processing time as carved in stone, something a 5-year old wouldn't fall for. The result: he comes in here and turns this thread into something it wasn't meant to be. Try THAT for rude!
He/she came in here worried that his/application got sent to Program Support and is asking for some insight; that is within the scope of the topic of this thread, so he/she is not really being self-centered or rude. There will always being people that are unsure or freaking out because they don't know what's going on, and that's OK in a public forum, which this is. If you don't want to take the time to contribute in a respectful manner, then don't respond at all.

mahedemi

Oct 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am in a similar position to others in this thread. I applied for proof of Canadian citizenship (through descent).
  1. CIC stated they received my application on January 9, 2018.
  2. CIC stated they sent me correspondence acknowledging receipt of my application on February 8, 2018.
  3. I contacted CIC in July 2018 asking for the status of my application and received the response "We verified the information provided and can confirm that your application was transferred to a special unit and is still in process."
  4. My online status was updated to state that CIC sent me correspondence on April 10, 2018, which I never received.
  5. I received a letter in the mail after the July 2018 response dated April 10, 2018, stating that my application was transferred to a special unit.
  6. My status has not changed from "Application Received".
  7. I am live outside of Canada.
I do not expect to receive any updates until the application is finally processed, and am curious to keep hearing about other's experiences with this process.

Triol80t

Sep 6, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am in a similar position to others in this thread. I applied for proof of Canadian citizenship (through descent).
  2. CIC stated they sent me correspondence acknowledging receipt of my application on February 8, 2018.
  3. I contacted CIC in July 2018 asking for the status of my application and received the response "We verified the information provided and can confirm that your application was transferred to a special unit and is still in process."
  4. My online status was updated to state that CIC sent me correspondence on April 10, 2018, which I never received.
  5. I received a letter in the mail after the July 2018 response dated April 10, 2018, stating that my application was transferred to a special unit.
I do not expect to receive any updates until the application is finally processed, and am curious to keep hearing about other's experiences with this process.

Hope they reply all of us soon.

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
Hi everyone,

Did CIC Send you letter Via Email or Courier ??

Cano you post ur ECAS status ??

sujan143

Aug 13, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
10-05-2016
Doc's Request.
Not Yet
Nomination.....
Sponsor approval 05/jul/16
AOR Received.
28-05-2016
File Transfer...
14/07/2016
Med's Done....
05-05-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-2016
LANDED..........
30-12-2016
Mine is a name change issue as well it was sent to program support unit does anyone have any update ?

Reactions: Boxinthesky

Ngomel

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
My daughter's file went to Program Support Unit for more than 1 year after AOR
We applied inside Canada but my daughter was outside Canada, so it took longer
However, after hearing that her file was in PSU, I decided to send urgent processing since me and my husband was running out of time to enroll her at school
Thankfully after sending the email, our proof of citizenship application's status changed to approved in less than a week
I still have no idea why her file was sent to PSU, they didn't ask me any question/additional docs, just status change directly
Hope you get the best news too

Last edited:
Reactions: KK 0601

Nawal123

Jan 2, 2019
Hi everyone
I’m a January 2018 applicant, my application was sent to a program special unit, almost a year and my Ecas still showing iN PROCESS since March I’m asking if someone same situation can share there experience
Thanks

Ngomel

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
Hi everyone
I’m a January 2018 applicant, my application was sent to a program special unit, almost a year and my Ecas still showing iN PROCESS since March I’m asking if someone same situation can share there experience
Thanks
Where do you apply from?
Any spouse/one related to your application residing in Canada?
Since my application sent inside Canada, one more advise that I got when I had this issue was to try sending email to MP in Canada
They will contact CIC for your issue
If your application sent from outside Canada, you may contact the visa office in your country

Nawal123

Jan 2, 2019
Where do you apply from?
Any spouse/one related to your application residing in Canada?
Since my application sent inside Canada, one more advise that I got when I had this issue was to try sending email to MP in Canada
They will contact CIC for your issue
If your application sent from outside Canada, you may contact the visa office in your country
I’ve been in Canada for almost 5 years I applied here, it’s a single application. I called the officer once they said it was because if my name changed, I just want to ask you for your time line and if you know how long it might take since you have already went through this.
Thank you for your response

Ngomel

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
I’ve been in Canada for almost 5 years I applied here, it’s a single application. I called the officer once they said it was because if my name changed, I just want to ask you for your time line and if you know how long it might take since you have already went through this.
Thank you for your response
My timeline is:
AOR - August 15, 2017
Got mail stating application was sent to Program Support Unit - Dec 8, 2017
Sent urgent processing - Sept 13, 2018 (we were panic that the school term was already begun)
CIC - The file is being pulled and tagged for urgent processing - Sept 20, 2018
Proof of Citizenship approved - Sept 23, 2018
Proof of Citizenship arrived - Oct 2, 2018
Passport application submitted - Nov 1, 2018
Passport received - Nov 19, 2018
Arrived in Canada - Nov 30, 2018

So in total it was 14 months for proof of citizenship, with urgent processing request in the middle of process
I was informed by the CIC agent if I didn't propose urgent processing, my daughter's application may finish up to 24 months from the day it was sent to Program Support Unit
Hope you can get yours fast!

Last edited:

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
My timeline is:
AOR - August 15, 2017
Got mail stating application was sent to Program Support Unit - Dec 8, 2017
Sent urgent processing - Sept 13, 2018 (we were panic that the school term was already begun)
CIC - The file is being pulled and tagged for urgent processing - Sept 20, 2018
Proof of Citizenship approved - Sept 23, 2018
Proof of Citizenship arrived - Oct 2, 2018
Passport application submitted - Nov 1, 2018
Passport received - Nov 19, 2018
Arrived in Canada - Nov 30, 2018

So in total it was 14 months for proof of citizenship, with urgent processing request in the middle of process
I was informed by the CIC agent if I didn't propose urgent processing, my daughter's application may finish up to 24 months from the day it was sent to Program Support Unit
Hope you can get yours fast!
Hi Congrats...

I have applied for citizenship certificate from India. This is my timeline
1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on April 11, 2018.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on May 22, 2018.

Almost 10 months over. Even, They did not begin processing it and I Never got any Email for (PSU). Now, I decided to send urgent processing.

My questions are :

1. Can you tell me, How did u send urgent processing letter by Email or letter. And where did u send that ?
2. What did u get on Sept 20, 2018. I cannot understand, please explain this. ?
3. After Sending urgent processing, Did u get any Email and Like a Interview Call ?

Thank You So Much for Advance Reply..