+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship – Program Support Unit

BennyMac90

Jul 31, 2018
Guate,

Any updates from you?

Your case is very similar to mine so I'm watching it to try and figure out how long they might take to get to my file.

Thanks.
Guate and Marcus,

My application is very similar to yours:

1. Application sent January 18 (from abroard)
2. Acknowledgement of receipt 29th March 2018
3. Processing application 5th June 2018.

I then filled out an IRCC Web Form 14th August as I had no update on the eCAS online tracker. They responded to me with the following:

"This file has been forwarded to the Program Support Unit for review. CPC-Sydney does not provide processing times or details of the case to applicants regarding cases referred to Program support Unit as they vary on a case-by-case basis. Your application has been placed in queue awaiting assessment by a senior officer because of a policy or legislative issue pertaining to the case."

Any updates on your progress would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Ben

Triol80t

Sep 6, 2018
Hello Guys,

Please I would like to know if the rules of citizenship applies to me.

My father is a naturalized Canadian (1976). I was born 1980 and just saw the rules on citizenship. I have sent for proof of citizenship but would like to know if I would likely get a positive response.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys,

Please I would like to know if the rules of citizenship applies to me.

My father is a naturalized Canadian (1976). I was born 1980 and just saw the rules on citizenship. I have sent for proof of citizenship but would like to know if I would likely get a positive response.
Yes, if you were born abroad after your father became a Canadian citizen, you are a Canadian citizen.

Worm

Sep 7, 2018
Hello first time here been looking through and getting the help i needed by reading .now im need .
I sponsour my wife and child .Child i applied for proof of citizenship cause i am a canadian and was told this was gona be good and fast .now wife has visa to enter canada and just got the psu letter . had applied for a ETA to enter canada while waiting for this process . now my situation becomes tight .Wife has to come by end on month as in end of september and dont want to leave child in africa.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Hello first time here been looking through and getting the help i needed by reading .now im need .
I sponsour my wife and child .Child i applied for proof of citizenship cause i am a canadian and was told this was gona be good and fast .now wife has visa to enter canada and just got the psu letter . had applied for a ETA to enter canada while waiting for this process . now my situation becomes tight .Wife has to come by end on month as in end of september and dont want to leave child in africa.
This is getting really annoying.

The topic of this post is not just Proof of Citizenship, but rather those specific cases that are sent to Program Support Unit. One would think that if you read the title of the post you'd get that much, but no you can't count on the random forum participant having that much intelligence.

If you want to just discuss a Proof of Citizenship case you need to create your own thread now.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Canadian citizens are not eligible for eTA.

A Canadian citizen abroad without a Canadian passport needs to apply for and obtain a special Travel Document for Canadian citizens. This is probably what the child needs. And, yes, you need proof of Canadian citizenship to apply for that. See posts by others for more information about how long the Program Support Unit takes to process applications for proof of citizenship in such circumstances. However, I doubt there is any way to accelerate how long the Program Support Unit will take.

If your spouse now has a PR visa, yes she must travel to Canada BEFORE that visa expires. This is important.

If all of you cannot make the trip together, she needs to do what she can to make the trip. She needs to come to Canada and do the "landing" to become a Permanent Resident. But she can come and stay only a short time. She does not need to stay for long, not right away.

Thus: If you can financially afford for her to make the trip, do the landing, and then return to Africa while the child's application for proof of citizenship is being processed by the Program Support Unit, that would be OK. Then, when you and the child have Canadian passports or special Travel Documents for Canadian citizens, all of you can travel together.

If your spouse cannot stay long enough in Canada, on her first trip to Canada, to get her PR card, she may need to apply for and obtain a PR Travel Document when you all plan to come together to Canada.

Good luck.
(and ignore the rest of this post)

The topic of this post is not just Proof of Citizenship, but rather those specific cases that are sent to Program Support Unit. One would think that if you read the title of the post you'd get that much, but no you can't count on the random forum participant having that much intelligence.

If you want to just discuss a Proof of Citizenship case you need to create your own thread now.
HUH? Or, REALLY?

Or, did you think the "psu" letter was from Penn State University? or . . . perhaps . . . punk slugs united (at its best a rather slimy rock band with no percussion)?

Or, might one say annoying is what annoying does . . .

Last edited:

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Canadian citizens are not eligible for eTA.

HUH? Or, REALLY?

Or, did you think the "psu" letter was from Penn State University? or . . . perhaps . . . punk slugs united (at its best a rather slimy rock band with no percussion)?

Or, might one say annoying is what annoying does . . .
HUH? Indeed,

There is no PSU abbreviation at the title of this thread; it clearly says Program Support Unit so I'm not sure where the whole PSU guessing game is coming from. But you go ahead and indulge if you have nothing better to do.

Annoying is as annoying does, absolutely!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
HUH? Indeed,

There is no PSU abbreviation at the title of this thread; it clearly says Program Support Unit so I'm not sure where the whole PSU guessing game is coming from.
Try reading the OP's very FIRST SENTENCE in the post that starts this topic:

Anyone have any experience with a proof of citizenship application sent to the Program Support Unit (PSU)?
Here's the thing, @Worm came here with a legitimate question specifically related to complications due to an application for proof of citizenship referred to the PSU. Specifically on topic. And was insulted by what appears to be a rather low form of unintelligence offering nothing of use. I ordinarily stay focused on a number of certain substantive topics tending to involve complex issues. But sometimes low brow gratuitous bullying of new participants with real questions warrants a push back. Especially when it is totally off topic and yet, sadly, attacking a post precisely on-topic for being off topic. Especially when it involves a repeat offender. Especially when it discourages someone with real questions from asking questions. Especially when the target of hostility involves a Canadian citizen child.

It has been more than a decade now since I first came here, as a reader only, and learned some things that ended up helping my case, helped me avoid making what would have been a mistake likely to delay my PR visa application for many months and probably more than a year. And it turned out that made a huge difference in allowing me more flexibility to travel at a time that was really important. I subsequently came back to pay-it-forward. My sense is that I have paid-it-forward a few times over, but when I see new participants struggling to sort out how these things work I remember the anxiety and confusion, and I want to help. If I can. If only to clarify what we know versus what we do not know.

I realize any site like this will suffer its trolls, fools, and bullies. And it is almost always best to simply ignore their inane tripe. But especially when the target of their venom involves a Canadian citizen child, that warrants pushing back. At least some.

I also realize you can do better. Please try.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
It has been more than a decade now since I first came here, as a reader only, and learned some things that ended up helping my case, helped me avoid making what would have been a mistake likely to delay my PR visa application for many months and probably more than a year. And it turned out that made a huge difference in allowing me more flexibility to travel at a time that was really important. I subsequently came back to pay-it-forward. My sense is that I have paid-it-forward a few times over, but when I see new participants struggling to sort out how these things work I remember the anxiety and confusion, and I want to help. If I can. If only to clarify what we know versus what we do not know.
I salute you for your contributions, sir or ma'am.

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018

Hi frnd !!

My ECAS status :
1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on April 11, 2018.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on May 22, 2018.

Its been 5 months. Since, Application received. Processing time of 5 months has exceeded. Even it is not changed into "In process". I think, it is in Program Support Unit. But, I never got a Email for Notice for delay which means PSU. Iam afraid, Bcoz, many people in this thread evendid not get (PSU) email. But, after enquiry. They will tell us it is in (PSU).

Please reply Frnd !! I Dont know. What to Do !! Iam helpless..

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Has anyone been processed by the Program Support Unit? I sent my application mid October 2017 which went into processing in November and no news from then.

My case is not even complex. Simple name split - but since there is no option to enter that I had to do a name change. Worst mistake.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Hi frnd !!

My ECAS status :
1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on April 11, 2018.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on May 22, 2018.

Its been 5 months. Since, Application received. Processing time of 5 months has exceeded. Even it is not changed into "In process". I think, it is in Program Support Unit. But, I never got a Email for Notice for delay which means PSU. Iam afraid, Bcoz, many people in this thread evendid not get (PSU) email. But, after enquiry. They will tell us it is in (PSU).

Please reply Frnd !! I Dont know. What to Do !! Iam helpless..
Oh really?

You're throwing a fit because you've had to wait five months. It's been almost a year since I sent my application and no word yet. My ECAS status doesn't say IN PROCESS either, just APPLICATION RECEIVED. Apparently, an e-mail letter was sent to me, notifying me that my case got sent to PSU but I never received it. I only was told about it by one of their Call Centre agents.

I don't know what it is you think anyone in here can do for you. I'm not here for anything other than to watch for updates on the processing times for similar applicants with cases in the PSU.

One thing that "might" help is to contact your MP's office and have them involved in inquiring about the status of your case. It works best if your MP can get in touch with the Minister directly. If you are a Canadian citizen, you are eligible for this sort of help from your MP's office. That's what I'm planning to do and I'm gathering all the documentation I have on this case, especially since I regularly get those campaign flyers in my mail from my MP's office encouraging me to contact him with any immigration-related issues.

I even sent IRCC a Case Specific Inquiry yesterday, asking them for a mailing address for their PSU. I mentioned that I was going to involve my MP in this matter. I also mentioned that it does not make any sense that the Government of Canada promises foreign nationals a six-month processing time for their immigration applications but does not provide a time frame for services to its own citizens.