+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship – Program Support Unit

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
My application has been in Program Support since July last year with no change since then, and I am just going to let them do their job. If your application got sent to Program Support, then there's something fishy about it that they will want to get to the bottom of, as any responsible government agency would want to do. Nothing you say or threaten to do will make them bend to your request. If you do not meet their established criteria, then you should expect your request to be denied; that is how bureaucracy works. But don't let me stop you from trying to get urgent processing, that's your decision; but don't be surprised if at the end, despite all of your effort, that it gets denied.
I'm not saying they shouldn't get to the bottom of whatever they're after. But it's absurd that they provide no time frame for doing this, while they promise a processing time of 6 months for immigration applications of foreign nationals.

It's not as if they've contacted me for any further information and they're just waiting for THAT. Whatever checks they need to do, I'm sure they could not possibly take upwards of 24 months. The reason this is taking forever is that during most of the 'time-in-process' my file is just sitting in some office, doing nothing but waiting and gathering dust, while they're busy with who-knows-what. This is what should be addressed, possibly with an MP query. It just isn't right!

Reactions: mbaleine

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
If you're being naturalized in Canada, of course. But the majority of the posters of this thread are applying for proof of citizenship because we believe we are citizens by descent.
I was naturalized in Canada, and yes, I received a certificate of naturalization. Then I had to be away from my apartment for some time and in that time my certificate got stolen. This is the reason my case got sent to the Program Support Unit, because I said in my application that the original certificate was stolen. According to their processing Checklist, if the previously issued certificate is in possession of a "third party" your case gets sent to Program Support automatically. That's all it takes! It has nothing to do with anything else.

A case could be really complicated (e.g. DNA verification of Canadian parentage for baby born abroad), or it could just be a matter of simple loss/theft of a naturalization certificate. It all gets sent to the same place: Program Support Unit, to wait until the end of time. Does this make any sense?

I can't imagine what other checks need to be done in a theft/loss case but they're certainly welcome to confirm that I reported the theft to the local police. Beyond that, any security concerns are just garden variety. Documents get lost all the time. A Canadian born in Canada who lost his/her birth certificate can apply to his/her province of birth to get a replacement within a couple of weeks and voila, they now have replaced their proof of citizenship, with no hassle. I have to ask what's so different with citizenship certificates?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
The only thing these new paper certificates are good for, is for applying the passport.
Other than that, it really is pretty much useless as not many places are familiar or even acknowledge it as a proof of citizenship.

If you have a Cdn passport, and it expires, you can just apply simplified renewal, WITHOUT the certificate. No need to wait for new one.

IRCC is really an old/antique department. It's really stupid that they have still not, in 2018, shifted/migrated towards online applications or even having bar-coded forms for faster and error-free data entry into the system. They're still running on manual entry of data which wastes huge amount of time. Just look at the citizenship forms, still no barcodes generated. The same goes for the so-many immigration/visa forms.
Most of the staff is doing manual data entry of applications which is one of the biggest bottlenecks in the system, right at the start of the process of applying for anything really. No wonder it takes forever to get anything done with this department. Like any govt dept there is no accountability and no improvements. You'd think they would staff the department properly and make things efficient.

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Per the CIC website regarding urgent processing for proof of citizenship (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/apply/urgently.html) and your reason for applying for urgent processing, your request should and will be D-E-N-I-E-D :rolleyes:.
That's not *strictly* true, as all of the urgent processing is case-by-case. The one area where you might be able to make a persuasive case is if you are a dual citizen of a country that is visa exempt (and not the US) due to the eTA requirement. They technically say on the page it's effective until Fall 2017, but many of you applied before that.

I was naturalized in Canada, and yes, I received a certificate of naturalization. Then I had to be away from my apartment for some time and in that time my certificate got stolen. This is the reason my case got sent to the Program Support Unit, because I said in my application that the original certificate was stolen. According to their processing Checklist, if the previously issued certificate is in possession of a "third party" your case gets sent to Program Support automatically. That's all it takes! It has nothing to do with anything else.

A case could be really complicated (e.g. DNA verification of Canadian parentage for baby born abroad), or it could just be a matter of simple loss/theft of a naturalization certificate. It all gets sent to the same place: Program Support Unit, to wait until the end of time. Does this make any sense?

I can't imagine what other checks need to be done in a theft/loss case but they're certainly welcome to confirm that I reported the theft to the local police. Beyond that, any security concerns are just garden variety. Documents get lost all the time. A Canadian born in Canada who lost his/her birth certificate can apply to his/her province of birth to get a replacement within a couple of weeks and voila, they now have replaced their proof of citizenship, with no hassle. I have to ask what's so different with citizenship certificates?
This is one area I will agree with you on. Some provinces have guarantors for getting birth certificate replacements, but it's still a far simpler process than getting a replacement citizenship certificate. Hell, British Columbia lets you order the birth certificates online for delivery outside of the province via credit card if you have the basic long form information about the individual and their parents (basically, if you have a photo/photocopy of someone's birth certificate, it's trivial to order more with nothing but a checkbox certifying that you are the person named).

IRCC as an agency is kind of baffling to me, they don't even fully agree with other divisions of the Canadian government. I have a personal example (work permit language and understanding differences between CBSA & IRCC) that led to me getting my proof of Canadian Citizenship by descent to skip the hassle/headache.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
My case from October of last year is still sitting at the Program Support Unit. E-CAS status shows nothing beyond Application Received. Any update from anybody else?

Reactions: iwodamiorie

Guate2017

Nov 20, 2017
My case from October of last year is still sitting at the Program Support Unit. E-CAS status shows nothing beyond Application Received. Any update from anybody else?
Nope. Still waiting on mine from May of last year. They told me they have everything they need and that it's just in PSU waiting for review. No idea how it can take so long. I've lived in 3rd world countries with more efficient bureaucracy than this.

1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on May 4, 2017.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on May 26, 2017.
3. We started processing your application on June 20, 2017.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Nope. Still waiting on mine from May of last year. They told me they have everything they need and that it's just in PSU waiting for review. No idea how it can take so long. I've lived in 3rd world countries with more efficient bureaucracy than this.

1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on May 4, 2017.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on May 26, 2017.
Keep us updated brother. Knowing when your file moves can help me figure out when I can expect some action on my file. They haven't asked for anything else from me either and no updates whatsoever on the E-CAS online.

Last time I called the IRCC call centre they said PSU can take up to 24 months and that the call centre agents can't take any action until that time has passed. I'm certainly going to involve my MP's office before 24 months are up but it's still a little early for me at this time.

Usmanaziz

May 25, 2018
Just curious. Im a canadania citizen. My wifes a p.r now. Ready to land in july. My infant daughters citizenship application was sent to support program. Recieved a letter in jan 2018. And its been more than 11 months since i applied to my daughtera citizenship. Wht is the timeline for my infant daughter

KK 0601

May 24, 2018
Just curious. Im a canadania citizen. My wifes a p.r now. Ready to land in july. My infant daughters citizenship application was sent to support program. Recieved a letter in jan 2018. And its been more than 11 months since i applied to my daughtera citizenship. Wht is the timeline for my infant daughter
Hi Usmanaziz, I got the same satiation, I am a Canadian citizen. I sent application for my Son in Jan 2018, and I just received the notice that the application is transferred to Special Unit! I have no clue how long I have to wait now, so frustrated!

Usmanaziz

May 25, 2018
Hi Usmanaziz, I got the same satiation, I am a Canadian citizen. I sent application for my Son in Jan 2018, and I just received the notice that the application is transferred to Special Unit! I have no clue how long I have to wait now, so frustrated!
Sorry im replying a bit late. So this is what happened with me jan 18 i got a letter tht my infant daughters application is delayed and sent to a special unit. They send you this letter in aprox 6 months time. Thts how much time normally a proof of citizenship takes. I got my infants application decides on june 19th 2018 stating that the citizenship certificate has been dispatched. Meanwhile my wife was due to land as p.r on july 27th. I had been waiting ,contacting m.ps,minister of immigration etc got the same.reply tht the certificate has been dispatched. Meanwhile i applied for a facilitation visa as i was empty handed and didnt know wht to do as the time is running by. 2 weeks back i decided to go to local canadian embassy and told them my situation. They clearly said i should have contactes them b3cause they can issue a temporary canadian passport regardless of the certificate. I recieved the certificate today from nova scotia stamped 18th july postal and also recieved the temporary passport today frm local canadian embassy. Trust me when they say they have dispatched a documents its way after there message. So you can apply.for a temp canadian passport right away without delay. I got everything done today and leaving tomorrow morning for canada with my p.r wife and infant child. Its almost last min. Dont wait. Such things are not.written on cic website.

Reactions: PRVisaApproved

hamiltondreamer

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Nigeria
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-04-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
Sorry im replying a bit late. So this is what happened with me jan 18 i got a letter tht my infant daughters application is delayed and sent to a special unit. They send you this letter in aprox 6 months time. Thts how much time normally a proof of citizenship takes. I got my infants application decides on june 19th 2018 stating that the citizenship certificate has been dispatched. Meanwhile my wife was due to land as p.r on july 27th. I had been waiting ,contacting m.ps,minister of immigration etc got the same.reply tht the certificate has been dispatched. Meanwhile i applied for a facilitation visa as i was empty handed and didnt know wht to do as the time is running by. 2 weeks back i decided to go to local canadian embassy and told them my situation. They clearly said i should have contactes them b3cause they can issue a temporary canadian passport regardless of the certificate. I recieved the certificate today from nova scotia stamped 18th july postal and also recieved the temporary passport today frm local canadian embassy. Trust me when they say they have dispatched a documents its way after there message. So you can apply.for a temp canadian passport right away without delay. I got everything done today and leaving tomorrow morning for canada with my p.r wife and infant child. Its almost last min. Dont wait. Such things are not.written on cic website.
Please can you explain this phrase

"They send you this letter in aprox 6 months time. Thts how much time normally a proof of citizenship takes. I got my infants application decides on june 19th 2018 stating that the citizenship certificate has been dispatched. "

KK 0601

May 24, 2018
It's great, always keep hope in live! I was frastrated yesterday, but suddenly received notice of decision made! However, the certificate will take about six weeks to my country address, but I m rushing school for my kids, I will try to email them n get the CC number for applying passport in advance as possible! Anyway, thanks for your sharing and have a great living in CANADA with family!

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013

Guate,

Any updates from you?

Your case is very similar to mine so I'm watching it to try and figure out how long they might take to get to my file.

Thanks.