+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prohibitions not started

karem abd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2018
So the officer who works on my file didn't send my info to the CSIS as my Prohibition indicates not started as per my gcms so what can I do in this situation

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
So the officer who works on my file didn't send my info to the CSIS as my Prohibition indicates not started as per my gcms so what can I do in this situation
There is absolutely nothing you can do in this (or any other) situation to speed up your application. It will take it's own course.

The only exception being to check if you qualify for urgent processing. If yes, make a case for it, and apply.

Reactions: snoopyta

karem abd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2018
There is absolutely nothing you can do in this (or any other) situation to speed up your application. It will take it's own course.

The only exception being to check if you qualify for urgent processing. If yes, make a case for it, and apply.
That's what driving me crazy I need the certificate to my college but according to them it's not qualified for urgent on the other hand I've already passed my 13 months in process although I know there's people being there for 3 years but when you see people applying in this year and get it in 6 months That's really killing me

Reactions: bas12 and Neha_shah

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
That's what driving me crazy I need the certificate to my college but according to them it's not qualified for urgent on the other hand I've already passed my 13 months in process although I know there's people being there for 3 years but when you see people applying in this year and get it in 6 months That's really killing me
Your frustration is understandable, but it won't help to lose sleep over it. If it doesn't meet their criteria, it will not get done. I'm saying it from experience. If it helps to know, from application to oath, I was at 40 months. So hang in there and get on with your life. This is totally out of your control. No two cases are the same, therefore, it doesn't help to compare yourself with others.

karem abd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2018
Your frustration is understandable, but it won't help to lose sleep over it. If it doesn't meet their criteria, it will not get done. I'm saying it from experience. If it helps to know, from application to oath, I was at 40 months. So hang in there and get on with your life. This is totally out of your control. No two cases are the same, therefore, it doesn't help to compare yourself with others.
I really appreciate your answer and sharing your experience and that's make you know exactly my feelings specially when you see your life is controlled by the mood of an officer who just chose to not work on your file and do something else or work on another file while if he really doing his job there will be no backlog and issues in the whole system but they creating the backlog on purpose because I'm telling you every single person of us knows his file if it's a straightforward one or not
Again I really appreciate your intake

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I do not know what, if anything, is causing your application to be delayed longer than others.

I also do not know what your copy of GCMS records shows, but the local office officials who are processing a citizenship application should not be sending an applicant's info to CSIS UNLESS they are making a referral based on information indicating a security concern. That is, if local office officials are sending info to CSIS that is really, really bad news, since it means there is a particularized suspicion the applicant is involved in something very serious, serious enough to be comparable to terrorism, crimes against humanity, or war crimes. Any such referral would likely result in the application being suspended and at best a delay way, way longer than the excessive delays currently being experienced by many. (Moreover, any such referral from IRCC to CSIS is very unlikely, since if the officials processing the citizenship application come across information which would trigger this sort of thing, they will more likely refer that to CBSA, and if in turn CBSA's NSSD develops information, in its investigation, that rises to the level of engaging CSIS, then it will be CBSA that makes that sort of referral to CSIS.)

The interaction between IRCC officials processing citizenship applications and CSIS should be minimal. There is the initial referral made at CPC-Sydney, requesting a clearance (report of no security issues), which would ordinarily only contain sufficient information about the applicant to positively identify them. Then, for some applicants (depending on length of processing and potentially other factors), the local IRCC office may make a referral requesting an update of the clearance.

There is a great deal of misplaced attention in this forum regarding the formal background clearances, as to the RCMP and CSIS. There is almost NOTHING to be learned from most applicants' GCMS records in regards to the clearances which will provide any insight into the status of processing the citizenship application, virtually none that will indicate what will happen next or when. Despite all the micro-monitoring of such details by so many forum participants.

Meanwhile, prohibitions remain open right up to the day of the oath. A driving while impaired arrest the night before the oath is scheduled will constitute a prohibition, for example, and preclude taking the oath. The third formal clearance required, the GCMS clearance, is done repeatedly during the processing of the application, including at latest when the oath is scheduled. It includes a name record screening for criminal records, which covers both RCMP and the U.S. NCIC (same as FBI records), at the least. Even if the client's GCMS shows prohibitions as complete, that can change anytime right up to taking the oath (for example, a delay in processing may result in the need for a clearance update, so what was marked as complete earlier can then be open until the update is obtained . . . noting that even when RCMP or CSIS have sent the updated clearance to the file, for it to show completed in the client's GCMS will still wait on a processing agent making that notation, typically done attendant other tasks).

Reactions: kris8646

karem abd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2018
I do not know what, if anything, is causing your application to be delayed longer than others.

I also do not know what your copy of GCMS records shows, but the local office officials who are processing a citizenship application should not be sending an applicant's info to CSIS UNLESS they are making a referral based on information indicating a security concern. That is, if local office officials are sending info to CSIS that is really, really bad news, since it means there is a particularized suspicion the applicant is involved in something very serious, serious enough to be comparable to terrorism, crimes against humanity, or war crimes. Any such referral would likely result in the application being suspended and at best a delay way, way longer than the excessive delays currently being experienced by many. (Moreover, any such referral from IRCC to CSIS is very unlikely, since if the officials processing the citizenship application come across information which would trigger this sort of thing, they will more likely refer that to CBSA, and if in turn CBSA's NSSD develops information, in its investigation, that rises to the level of engaging CSIS, then it will be CBSA that makes that sort of referral to CSIS.)

The interaction between IRCC officials processing citizenship applications and CSIS should be minimal. There is the initial referral made at CPC-Sydney, requesting a clearance (report of no security issues), which would ordinarily only contain sufficient information about the applicant to positively identify them. Then, for some applicants (depending on length of processing and potentially other factors), the local IRCC office may make a referral requesting an update of the clearance.

There is a great deal of misplaced attention in this forum regarding the formal background clearances, as to the RCMP and CSIS. There is almost NOTHING to be learned from most applicants' GCMS records in regards to the clearances which will provide any insight into the status of processing the citizenship application, virtually none that will indicate what will happen next or when. Despite all the micro-monitoring of such details by so many forum participants.

Meanwhile, prohibitions remain open right up to the day of the oath. A driving while impaired arrest the night before the oath is scheduled will constitute a prohibition, for example, and preclude taking the oath. The third formal clearance required, the GCMS clearance, is done repeatedly during the processing of the application, including at latest when the oath is scheduled. It includes a name record screening for criminal records, which covers both RCMP and the U.S. NCIC (same as FBI records), at the least. Even if the client's GCMS shows prohibitions as complete, that can change anytime right up to taking the oath (for example, a delay in processing may result in the need for a clearance update, so what was marked as complete earlier can then be open until the update is obtained . . . noting that even when RCMP or CSIS have sent the updated clearance to the file, for it to show completed in the client's GCMS will still wait on a processing agent making that notation, typically done attendant other tasks).
Thank you and I really appreciate your explanation. From what I understood from the people over here that the clearance goes into 2 stages first background known as criminality and this goes through RCMP/CBSA and sometimes they ask the applicant for Fingerprints and second Prohibition known as security and this goes through CSIS in my case first I have nothing all clear and they didn't ask my Fingerprints. regarding my file I've got the background part completed criminality passed as per the gcms notes but the Prohibition part shows not started and security blank

candyman321

Jun 4, 2023
Hey how are you I had same issue I did my interview on June 1 and 2 days later everything trun green but prohibitions in progress u got any up date

candyman321

Jun 4, 2023
Hey u got any update

NAAJ

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-12-2014
Med's Request
13-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-01-2015
For applicants with only prohibition pending for over a month, I believe they are referred to some other agency, maybe csis, for some sort of clearance or renewal of clearance. Doesn’t make sense for officer to sit on application that’s almost oath ready for no reason. But again ircc is an enigma wrapped in mystery!

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
I am in a similar situation, everything else finally got completed 3 weeks ago, after filing mandamus.
I am 100% confident that everything is very clean, simple and straightforward regarding my prohibitions.

Some folks here say that this might not even be related to prohibitions, just that the case needs a review before making the final decision. And the reason might be that some automatic system flagged the application for a review by a more senior IRCC officer for an unknown reason.
I saw on this forum that prohibitions is something they check even on the day on the oath to be sure that you didn't suddenly become ineligible, so the status might not mean much.

I think having security blank in GCMS notes is not unusual, for some reason they choose to redact it even if it is passed. Mine is also blank, but CSIS ATIP notes seem to indicate that they did their part of the work a year and a half ago with no major difficulties in a very short amount of time, though their notes are also heavily redacted.

In case the request to CSIS actually did fall through the cracks, I think it may be worth it to try to contact IRCC, CSIS, or involve the MP. I think I saw a discussion on this forum a while ago of someone in this situation (I think in that case a CSIS employee dropped the ball), and in this case ATIP notes actually helped them to find out what the problem was and get their application to move.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Prohibitions completed on Monday, and I was scheduled for the oath for Aug 3.
Incidentally, it happened 1 business day after my PR renewal was processed. I wonder if an expired PR card can hold the citizenship application up.

NAAJ

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-12-2014
Med's Request
13-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-01-2015
Prohibitions completed on Monday, and I was scheduled for the oath for Aug 3.
Incidentally, it happened 1 business day after my PR renewal was processed. I wonder if an expired PR card can hold the citizenship application up.
How long has this been in process for (the prohibition part)?

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
How long has this been in process for (the prohibition part)?
According to the tracker since March 2022, but you cannot trust that. The last GCMS notes I have from April say it was not started then.
So, somewhere between 1 day and 3 months.

Reactions: NAAJ