+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prohibitions not started

fernjo1234

Star Member
Aug 3, 2022
Don’t know whether to be happy or get stressed out more
My Background finally was completed on 19 July (Reflected on 21st July) but just got off the phone with the agent and he said Prohibitions still not started
Only prohibitions is left for me
July 2022 applicant here

Erbula90

Aug 17, 2023
Don’t know whether to be happy or get stressed out more
My Background finally was completed on 19 July (Reflected on 21st July) but just got off the phone with the agent and he said Prohibitions still not started
Only prohibitions is left for me
July 2022 applicant here
I hope everything goes well, is there any update? I have same only prohibition in progress!

NAAJ

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-12-2014
Med's Request
13-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-01-2015
I hope everything goes well, is there any update? I have same only prohibition in progress!
How long has it been in progress for?
Mine is since May :(

candyman321

Jun 4, 2023
Still waiting
July 2022 applicant waiting since July 2023 for prohibitions to start
Did you’ll contact MP?
Application Jan 2022 interview June 1st lp same day but prohibitions still in progress contact mp they say my filed is non routing soo have to wait

OKcanada

Nov 20, 2023
I do not know what, if anything, is causing your application to be delayed longer than others.

I also do not know what your copy of GCMS records shows, but the local office officials who are processing a citizenship application should not be sending an applicant's info to CSIS UNLESS they are making a referral based on information indicating a security concern. That is, if local office officials are sending info to CSIS that is really, really bad news, since it means there is a particularized suspicion the applicant is involved in something very serious, serious enough to be comparable to terrorism, crimes against humanity, or war crimes. Any such referral would likely result in the application being suspended and at best a delay way, way longer than the excessive delays currently being experienced by many. (Moreover, any such referral from IRCC to CSIS is very unlikely, since if the officials processing the citizenship application come across information which would trigger this sort of thing, they will more likely refer that to CBSA, and if in turn CBSA's NSSD develops information, in its investigation, that rises to the level of engaging CSIS, then it will be CBSA that makes that sort of referral to CSIS.)

The interaction between IRCC officials processing citizenship applications and CSIS should be minimal. There is the initial referral made at CPC-Sydney, requesting a clearance (report of no security issues), which would ordinarily only contain sufficient information about the applicant to positively identify them. Then, for some applicants (depending on length of processing and potentially other factors), the local IRCC office may make a referral requesting an update of the clearance.

There is a great deal of misplaced attention in this forum regarding the formal background clearances, as to the RCMP and CSIS. There is almost NOTHING to be learned from most applicants' GCMS records in regards to the clearances which will provide any insight into the status of processing the citizenship application, virtually none that will indicate what will happen next or when. Despite all the micro-monitoring of such details by so many forum participants.

Meanwhile, prohibitions remain open right up to the day of the oath. A driving while impaired arrest the night before the oath is scheduled will constitute a prohibition, for example, and preclude taking the oath. The third formal clearance required, the GCMS clearance, is done repeatedly during the processing of the application, including at latest when the oath is scheduled. It includes a name record screening for criminal records, which covers both RCMP and the U.S. NCIC (same as FBI records), at the least. Even if the client's GCMS shows prohibitions as complete, that can change anytime right up to taking the oath (for example, a delay in processing may result in the need for a clearance update, so what was marked as complete earlier can then be open until the update is obtained . . . noting that even when RCMP or CSIS have sent the updated clearance to the file, for it to show completed in the client's GCMS will still wait on a processing agent making that notation, typically done attendant other tasks).
I need some help, I applied for citizenship online on May 2022, since then my application is still not processed here is my timeline:
  • Oct 4, 2023 - Citizenship test status has been updated to Completed.
  • Sep 13, 2023 - Scheduled for 2nd citizenship test
  • Jul 7, 2023 - Language skills status has been updated to Completed.
  • Jul 7, 2023 - Physical presence status has been updated to Completed.
  • Dec 9, 2022 - Scheduled for citizenship test
  • Dec 2, 2022 - Citizenship test status has been updated to In progress.
  • Nov 10, 2022 - Background verification status has been updated to Completed.
  • Nov 8, 2022 - We sent you a letter or email asking for some additional information. Send us the information as soon as possible if you haven’t done so already. (PC I submitted it and got a reply saying they have added it to my file.
  • May 11, 2022 - Application filed

They made me do two tests even though I passed the first one. My GCMS notes say knowledge was cancelled, but I've done it now after waiting 9 months for the second one. Now everything is passed except Prohibitions which shows In Progress. I can see in my GCMS that criminality clearance is passed, also my MP office said everything is cleared, so I don't know what the deal is. why is prohibitions taking so long to complete? why am i not getting the oath ceremony invitation. My PR card has expired should I apply for a renewal?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I need some help, I applied for citizenship online on May 2022, since then my application is still not processed here is my timeline:
  • Oct 4, 2023 - Citizenship test status has been updated to Completed.
  • Sep 13, 2023 - Scheduled for 2nd citizenship test
  • Jul 7, 2023 - Language skills status has been updated to Completed.
  • Jul 7, 2023 - Physical presence status has been updated to Completed.
  • Dec 9, 2022 - Scheduled for citizenship test
  • Dec 2, 2022 - Citizenship test status has been updated to In progress.
  • Nov 10, 2022 - Background verification status has been updated to Completed.
  • Nov 8, 2022 - We sent you a letter or email asking for some additional information. Send us the information as soon as possible if you haven’t done so already. (PC I submitted it and got a reply saying they have added it to my file.
  • May 11, 2022 - Application filed

They made me do two tests even though I passed the first one. My GCMS notes say knowledge was cancelled, but I've done it now after waiting 9 months for the second one. Now everything is passed except Prohibitions which shows In Progress. I can see in my GCMS that criminality clearance is passed, also my MP office said everything is cleared, so I don't know what the deal is. why is prohibitions taking so long to complete? why am i not getting the oath ceremony invitation. My PR card has expired should I apply for a renewal?
My sense is what you are really asking is how much longer it will take to be scheduled for the oath and actually obtain citizenship. Or how to make it happen sooner rather than later.

I cannot help much with that.

Citizenship application processing timelines are very hard to forecast, and the longer it has gone, what will happen next, and when it will happen, tends to get even more widely variable. less predictable. In cases involving an unreasonable delay (unreasonable based on legal standards, not personal, subjective standards), recourse may be obtained for extraordinary situations by way of judicial review in an application for a Writ of Mandamus, but that's get-a-lawyer stuff (and whether your case is approaching that has more to do with the substantive elements not the timing of the incremental procedural steps you outline).

There is probably a good chance this will be done and over with soon or at least somewhat soon. Since, however, it is so difficult to predict what the odds are, and no matter what the odds are there is no guarantees about how quickly your application will be finalized, that may be well short of good enough if you have an important family or business matter that will soon require you to travel internationally, and arranging the trip to go through the U.S. (to avoid the need for a PR card or PR Travel Document) is problematic.

But to remain qualified for a grant of citizenship, no, you do not need to apply for a new PR card. It is OK to let the PR card expire and wait for the grant of citizenship. This will have no negative impact on your status or your eligibility for citizenship.

There may be personal reasons, however, why you will want to apply for a new PR card, particularly (again) if you have an important family or business matter that will soon require you to travel internationally. Your decision; it's a personal choice.

Some Further Observations:

As I oft note with emphasis, and state prominently in my signature here, I am NO expert. Not close.

But in regards to queries like this, what looms even larger is that I am not among those who closely follow micro-monitoring the processing of a citizenship application. I understand the incentive of many to do this, the craving for more information, and the demand for better information about how much longer it is going to take. I recognize many here are deeply engaged in trying to discern what is happening, and when, in regards to incremental processing elements. Some have done a remarkable job unraveling many of the details. That said, beyond recognizing the main steps involved, to my view the information revealed is mostly oriented to satisfying personal curiosity, NOT actionable information, not information that is useful in making decisions, not information an applicant needs to navigate the system.

After all, there is not much need (if any) to be micro-monitoring the process, since IRCC actively communicates to clients when the client needs to do something, whether that is to provide additional information or to participate in events like tests, interviews, and the oath. For the vast majority of qualified applicants, all the applicant needs to do is be sure that IRCC has their proper contact information and wait for communications from IRCC, and then respond appropriately to such communications (whether it is to submit fingerprints, appear for a test or interview, provide additional documents, or participate in the oath when scheduled).

Sure, there are applicants with complicated issues who may need to be more proactive, but even among what is non-routine processing, and for most of the applications suffering slower than others processing, the bottom-line is the applicant needs to wait, to watch for IRCC communications and respond appropriately, and otherwise wait.

Second Knowledge of Canada Test:

This is obviously non-routine. But probably no big deal. Why you? I cannot guess.

Unlike requirements like physical residence and tax filing, which are met or not as of the date of the application (based on facts in existence and the relevant time period), some requirements like no-prohibitions and knowledge-of-Canada are continuing requirements. Screening for prohibitions, for example, will be done at multiple times during processing and will ordinarily be done at least one more time in at least a GCMS background check (which includes screening name-record criminal history data) AFTER the oath is scheduled and before the oath is actually administered. Screening for language ability is ordinarily done twice, first in reviewing the documentation of ability in an official language which must be submitted in order to make a complete application, and then during a PI interview; however, it can be additionally screened at other times. Knowledge of Canada is generally only tested once, but can be tested multiple times. Thus, for example, any applicant who is scheduled for a hearing with a citizenship officer for any reason (such as regarding physical presence questions) should be prepared to also be able to pass a knowledge of Canada test during the hearing.

Again, I cannot guess why you were subject to a second test. It happens. Not often, but sometimes. Unless there was some suspicion about misrepresentation or fraud, it is probably no big deal.

Why Your Application is Taking Longer Than Others:

Good luck finding an answer to that . . . unless you already know of some underlying issues in your case.

Despite the volume of vociferous protests to the contrary, the vast majority of applicants who run into significant problems either know what is problematic about their case, or if they were honestly willing to be objective would have a good idea. But a slow timeline itself does not necessarily indicate any real problems . . . except the general problem with how widely variable processing timelines can be, with far too many proceeding all too slowly.