+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time for spousal visa - Sri Lanka

Radipol

Star Member
Oct 4, 2018
Hi @Radipol i think your one year mark is hit yesterday . so now you can inquire about your application through using colombo high commission email .
Thank you yoge. We sent them an email this morning and hoping for a response soon. It has been a long year. I hope things work out for everyone soon.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No news unfortunately. My MP called them yesterday - they are still reviewing the additional documents I had sent. MP was very helpful..she said she will push them to complete the application soon.
Hate to burst your bubble but MP can’t really interfere and push for completion when you are in a normal processing period. You have just hit a year which is not considered abnormally long.

Radipol

Star Member
Oct 4, 2018
Hate to burst your bubble but MP can’t really interfere and push for completion when you are in a normal processing period. You have just hit a year which is not considered abnormally long.
That's okay - still gotta do what i can to help myself and leave rest to destiny. She said there is a letter MP's are able to send post the 1 year period to the reviewing officer so she gave me an appointment for the 22nd. Will hope for all to be over soon.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's okay - still gotta do what i can to help myself and leave rest to destiny. She said there is a letter MP's are able to send post the 1 year period to the reviewing officer so she gave me an appointment for the 22nd. Will hope for all to be over soon.
Your file just seems to be going through normal processing without any hiccups so not sure why a meeting is necessary. There doesn’t seem to be a certain issue that is holding up your case and your case doesn’t seem to being processed much slower than other cases so not sure what an MP can really do in this situation. Seems like a waste of your time in my opinion but it’s not my time being wasted. There are certain offices that take longer due to volume, due to slower response times from other governments and due to more interview requests because many marriages may have been arranged so not extensive history. Although 12 months is a target there are certain countries that, on average, take longer like Iran who often get closer to 1.5-2 years. It does seem like your case is getting close to being finished but wouldn’t consider it excessively long since it has just hit the 1 year mark. Unfortunately one of the issues that comes with marrying someone from abroad versus someone already in Canada. Also people are under the false impression that pregnancy will guarantee reunification or will speed up the process which is unfortunately incorrect. Best of luck.

Reactions: PLATINA and sama94

sama94

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Category........
FAM
Your file just seems to be going through normal processing without any hiccups so not sure why a meeting is necessary. There doesn’t seem to be a certain issue that is holding up your case and your case doesn’t seem to being processed much slower than other cases so not sure what an MP can really do in this situation. Seems like a waste of your time in my opinion but it’s not my time being wasted. There are certain offices that take longer due to volume, due to slower response times from other governments and due to more interview requests because many marriages may have been arranged so not extensive history. Although 12 months is a target there are certain countries that, on average, take longer like Iran who often get closer to 1.5-2 years. It does seem like your case is getting close to being finished but wouldn’t consider it excessively long since it has just hit the 1 year mark. Unfortunately one of the issues that comes with marrying someone from abroad versus someone already in Canada. Also people are under the false impression that pregnancy will guarantee reunification or will speed up the process which is unfortunately incorrect. Best of luck.
And there are also countries where applications are processed under six months like Swiss **sigh**

Reactions: Raniro

Raniro

Jul 5, 2019
Even in Sri Lanka some applications were processed within 7 months. There is a girl who got her PPR in the beginning of May. Her application date and mine are same. Same day requested for biometric and medical. Though my one doesn’t have any movement.

yoge

Feb 11, 2017
canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
colombo
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017 app return 21-02-2017 resubmit 29-03-2017 citizenship app filled online 2023-Apr-10
Doc's Request.
Sch a and pcc uploaded via gc key 17/05/2007
AOR Received.
21-04-2017
File Transfer...
29-05-2017
Med's Request
01-09-2017 Re-medical Request 30-Jul-2019
Med's Done....
20-09-2017 Re-Medical Done 05th-Aug-2019
Interview........
13-03-2018 Ecas in process 05/26/2017 Aor2 05/29/2017 Ecas Changed To DM 31-Mar-2018
Passport Req..
Application Refused 2018-04-11 appeal file 2018-apr-20 Iad Confirmation May-09-2018 full hearing 23 rd may 2019 @edmonton Appel Won 14-june-2019 Additional Document Request 30-Jul-2019 doc send 13-Aug-2019 Bio metric req 13-aug-2019 Bio Completed 15-aug-2019 PPR 01-Nov-2019
VISA ISSUED...
13-11-2019
LANDED..........
26-11-2019
Even in Sri Lanka some applications were processed within 7 months. There is a girl who got her PPR in the beginning of May. Her application date and mine are same. Same day requested for biometric and medical. Though my one doesn’t have any movement.
Express entry applicant got there visa within 3 month but family sponsorship is took loooooong

Radipol

Star Member
Oct 4, 2018
If they say the average time is 12 months to process - at least there should be movement on the file during that period. My concern is no one bothered reviewing my file until the MP actually called multiple times to ask whats happening. At that point in early June, they informed her that they haven't even received the physical file yet which is still in transit. How is that acceptable if they sent correspondence that file was transferred to Colombo visa office in November of 2018?

It is a broken system and those who are lucky get it processed soon. Neither is our case complex nor does it lack any evidence of a genuine marriage so i am not sure what the hold up has been. I understand pregnancy doesn't speed up the process nor did i ask them to speed it up 3 months ago. I waited until my 1 year to ask what's up.

Anyways...wish everyone the very best!

Raniro

Jul 5, 2019
Express entry applicant got there visa within 3 month but family sponsorship is took loooooong
Yes Yoge. Usually express entry process within 6 months. But what I mentioned was spousal sponsorship. Husband sponsored wife. Same as mine.

Raniro

Jul 5, 2019
If they say the average time is 12 months to process - at least there should be movement on the file during that period. My concern is no one bothered reviewing my file until the MP actually called multiple times to ask whats happening. At that point in early June, they informed her that they haven't even received the physical file yet which is still in transit. How is that acceptable if they sent correspondence that file was transferred to Colombo visa office in November of 2018?

It is a broken system and those who are lucky get it processed soon. Neither is our case complex nor does it lack any evidence of a genuine marriage so i am not sure what the hold up has been. I understand pregnancy doesn't speed up the process nor did i ask them to speed it up 3 months ago. I waited until my 1 year to ask what's up.

Yes. It’s very unfair. Only destiny plays here. All the very best to get a quick process.

NilaS

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018

Lucky plays most part. It is good that you could able to get MP support. I see most cases get process faster when MP get involved. Most recently one of my friend brother wife came here and their timeline was 1 year plus a month. So you will get good news soon. Pray hard.
Looking forward to hear from you soon.

All the best to you as well.

Reactions: yoge

jana23

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
I’m having a hard time making the payment online for booking the medical. It keeps telling me timed out even though I do it quickly. I tried several attempts. Any advice?

NilaS

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
I’m having a hard time making the payment online for booking the medical. It keeps telling me timed out even though I do it quickly. I tried several attempts. Any advice?
My husband booked appointment aisiri hospital branch in Jaffna

Reactions: jana23

Radipol

Star Member
Oct 4, 2018
Lucky plays most part. It is good that you could able to get MP support. I see most cases get process faster when MP get involved. Most recently one of my friend brother wife came here and their timeline was 1 year plus a month. So you will get good news soon. Pray hard.
Looking forward to hear from you soon.

All the best to you as well.
Thank you for your kind words. Losing hope for processing anytime soon. We had emailed them over the weekend. They replied today saying they haven't received the file yet and its in transit still. Once they receive it they will place it in queue for processing.

I got file transfer letter in November 2018. I am baffled as to why the file hasn't even reached Colombo yet. Devastating. Seems we maybe looking at an other 6 months or so.

SJK90

Nov 1, 2018
Thank you for your kind words. Losing hope for processing anytime soon. We had emailed them over the weekend. They replied today saying they haven't received the file yet and its in transit still. Once they receive it they will place it in queue for processing.

I got file transfer letter in November 2018. I am baffled as to why the file hasn't even reached Colombo yet. Devastating. Seems we maybe looking at an other 6 months or so.
I emailed the colombo visa office and they said that our file was in queue. We’re about 3.5 months away from the 1 year mark.

Did they say that your file was never transferred? Or is it still in queue all this time? Our file was transferred 4 months ago to the colombo visa office ... so I’m a little worried too that I haven’t receive any medical request yet