+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time for spousal visa - Sri Lanka

Shihaan Irshad

Dec 30, 2021
As far as I know, you just have to provide as many evidence as possible. That includes:
Marriage certificate
Join bank account details
Photos you've taken together, and with family members or friends (from first to last - timeline format)
Gifts or money you sent to each-other (online/offline receipts, transactions and emails)
Call and chat history (get screenshots from your phone and include them in a word/pdf file)
Since you're newly married its also better to get couple of signed letters (notarized affidavits) from closest family members or friends stating they know about your marriage and love you have for each other, etc.
Hi Quick quesiton,

They ask for ID proof. As my spouse does not have a drivers license only option is her NIC. But, her NIC is the old one and its in Sinhala. Do I need to get it translated or just upload it or do you suggest getting a new NIC. But, her old NIC number is linked to her foreign PCC

LKtoCanadaPR

Jan 31, 2024
Hi Quick quesiton,

They ask for ID proof. As my spouse does not have a drivers license only option is her NIC. But, her NIC is the old one and its in Sinhala. Do I need to get it translated or just upload it or do you suggest getting a new NIC. But, her old NIC number is linked to her foreign PCC
What about her passport? If you are submitting the NIC then you will have to submit the translated one (get it translated from Department for Registration of Persons).

Shihaan Irshad

Dec 30, 2021
What about her passport? If you are submitting the NIC then you will have to submit the translated one (get it translated from Department for Registration of Persons).
Thank you once again for your response.

I as the sponsor will upload my PR Card and Passport.

For my wife the principal applicant is the passport sufficient for proof of status or does she need her NIC as well? I can upload her passport but I thought NIC is also needed as a secondary document? I believe getting it translated is better than getting a new ID as the number in it will change? Or should I get a new one as its in 3 language and get an affidavit. appreciate your guidance.

LKtoCanadaPR

Jan 31, 2024
Thank you once again for your response.

I as the sponsor will upload my PR Card and Passport.

For my wife the principal applicant is the passport sufficient for proof of status or does she need her NIC as well? I can upload her passport but I thought NIC is also needed as a secondary document? I believe getting it translated is better than getting a new ID as the number in it will change? Or should I get a new one as its in 3 language and get an affidavit. appreciate your guidance.
Best to get the NIC translated in that case. I believe you can also submit the translated birth certificate instead if available.

Reactions: Shihaan Irshad

Shihaan Irshad

Dec 30, 2021
Best to get the NIC translated in that case. I believe you can also submit the translated birth certificate instead if available.
Yes, there is a placement area to submit the birth certificate which I plan on doing. I have given it for translation. But, there is a seperate placement for birth certificate and pp separate so do they expect anything different?

Ram1998

Mar 8, 2024
Hello Everyone,

I have submitted my sponsor form to the Visa office in Colombo, but it was returned with a request for identity documents (birth certificate and marriage certificate). It appears that the documents I provided did not meet the requirements for processing. I have submitted English-translated forms of both certificates. Has anyone had a similar situation? How did you submit your birth certificate and marriage certificate? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Shihaan Irshad

Dec 30, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I have submitted my sponsor form to the Visa office in Colombo, but it was returned with a request for identity documents (birth certificate and marriage certificate). It appears that the documents I provided did not meet the requirements for processing. I have submitted English-translated forms of both certificates. Has anyone had a similar situation? How did you submit your birth certificate and marriage certificate? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Did you submit the original along with it as well? The original and a copy from a sworn translator usually works. You can also take it to the foreign ministry and get it attested ?

Ram1998

Mar 8, 2024
Did you submit the original along with it as well? The original and a copy from a sworn translator usually works. You can also take it to the foreign ministry and get it attested ?
Thank you for your quick response. I have submitted the application online. Could you please advise on the procedure for submitting the original form? I have already scanned and sent it electronically. Also, I plan to take it to the foreign ministry for attestation

Ram1998

Mar 8, 2024
yes ideally it should be
1. original copy
2. certified translation
3. foreign ministry attestation (optional)

did you only submit the translation?

I have only submitted translated copies of the marriage and birth certificates. I plan to get them attested by the foreign ministry as well.

Shihaan Irshad

Dec 30, 2021
I have only submitted translated copies of the marriage and birth certificates. I plan to get them attested by the foreign ministry as well.
its mandatory to submit the original. Foreign ministry wont attest without original. The reason i believe your application was returned was due to lack of original.