+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time for Open work permit?

andy_2016

Star Member
Jun 24, 2016
Similar questions - I applied for my husband on Sept 19, 2018 and just received the medical request (online) today too. I am confused about how this is related to the OWP - is the medical needed to approve OWP? Or does it just mean they are processing our file and will approve the OWP soon?
Medical is usually the last step. If you have applied from Inside Canada , then your OWP must follow in one or two days but you will have to complete medical in a defined time , which will be mentioned on permit. If you are applying from outside then it last step needed before they Issue workpermit.

jelizzie2018

Nov 27, 2018
Medical is usually the last step. If you have applied from Inside Canada , then your OWP must follow in one or two days but you will have to complete medical in a defined time , which will be mentioned on permit. If you are applying from outside then it last step needed before they Issue workpermit.
Thank you so much for your reply andy_2016!!! We applied from inside Canada so hopefully that means we will receive the OWP very soon!! Thank You!

yangna

Nov 13, 2018
Hi,

My husband got working permit and I applied for open working permit on this year, July. I got the biometric required letter on August and I have no reply since. How long does it take for the new process?
Some people said 2-8 weeks, but biometric is applied since this year... My husband and me are apart for too long that I become impatient ㅠㅠ

anikralhan

Oct 30, 2018
Hi,

My husband got working permit and I applied for open working permit on this year, July. I got the biometric required letter on August and I have no reply since. How long does it take for the new process?
Some people said 2-8 weeks, but biometric is applied since this year... My husband and me are apart for too long that I become impatient ㅠㅠ
As per website, it takes 16 weeks/4 months. I have applied for my wife in August. And she was asked to do her medical end of Nov and last Friday medical was approved and we were asked to submit passport.
Not sure why you were asked to submit biometric, we were not asked to do so.
Did you applied yourself or through an agent?

leolavi999

Dec 3, 2018
Hi All,

I got my ICT work permit last year and moved to Canada along with wife in Feb 1st week, I applied for her open work permit on 18th Feb(online), for some reason we have not received a single communication on our application yet, its been more than 3 months now. Has anyone got their OWP who submitted their application in Jan/Feb/March.

Does OWPs also get rejected for the spouses of ICT WP holders, if any one has any info, please share.

TIA!

vbollam

Jul 21, 2018
Hi All,

I got my ICT work permit last year and moved to Canada along with wife in Feb 1st week, I applied for her open work permit on 18th Feb(online), for some reason we have not received a single communication on our application yet, its been more than 3 months now. Has anyone got their OWP who submitted their application in Jan/Feb/March.

Does OWPs also get rejected for the spouses of ICT WP holders, if any one has any info, please share.

TIA!
In my case, I applied for my wife's OWP, along with my ICT application. Both of them got approved within 3 weeks time frame. However, there could be cases, where it might take longer. Keep your fingers crossed!! Which visa status does she currently have?

leolavi999

Dec 3, 2018
In my case, I applied for my wife's OWP, along with my ICT application. Both of them got approved within 3 weeks time frame. However, there could be cases, where it might take longer. Keep your fingers crossed!! Which visa status does she currently have?
Thanks for the revert, my ICT also took 4 months.....may be its something with my applications only....currently she is on visitor visa.

301debby

Apr 6, 2018
Hi guys, i am a student who recently finished school in Canada and i applied for an open work permit( not a post graduate work permit) as a visitor because my study permit expired and i have to have a valid study permit to apply for a post-graduate work permit, since i couldn't renew my study permit because i finished school i just applied for an open work permit instead as a visitor. How long does it usually take please as i applied on the 12th of july.

Reactions: R@jbir kaur

Mahi1234

Jul 11, 2019
Hi guys, i am a student who recently finished school in Canada and i applied for an open work permit( not a post graduate work permit) as a visitor because my study permit expired and i have to have a valid study permit to apply for a post-graduate work permit, since i couldn't renew my study permit because i finished school i just applied for an open work permit instead as a visitor. How long does it usually take please as i applied on the 12th of july.
hello,

did you get any update on your work permit application? did you have a job offer?

301debby

Apr 6, 2018
hello,

did you get any update on your work permit application? did you have a job offer?
Hello, i called immgiration to know how long it will take, they said it takes about 106 days and they are working on application received in may so i might get an update at the end of october or early november. As for a job offer i dont have, the open work permit does not require a job offer.

301debby

Apr 6, 2018
Please does anyone have any idea if i stand a chance of getting the work permit?

Mahi1234

Jul 11, 2019
Hello, i called immgiration to know how long it will take, they said it takes about 106 days and they are working on application received in may so i might get an update at the end of october or early november. As for a job offer i dont have, the open work permit does not require a job offer.
are you applying within Canada?

savii

Star Member
Oct 22, 2019
Was it a inland or Outland 1 and online or paper based application?