+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time for Open work permit?

Mar 31, 2018
Hi,
I am applying for perminant residency from the Uk (with my Canadian spouse as my sponsor) and an open work permit while I wait, as part of the application.
I wanted to check the processing times specifically for the Open Work Permit. Are we talking 6 weeks or more like 4 months?
I'm applying from Canada as I'm cohabiting here on a visitors visa.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I am applying for perminant residency from the Uk (with my Canadian spouse as my sponsor) and an open work permit while I wait, as part of the application.
I wanted to check the processing times specifically for the Open Work Permit. Are we talking 6 weeks or more like 4 months?
I'm applying from Canada as I'm cohabiting here on a visitors visa.
Thanks
Four months.

TXtoBC

Apr 30, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-03-2018
AOR Received.
12-04-2018
Four months.
Hello, where are you getting this information? I have done some research and googling, some people have received theirs much sooner than 4 months. I was told by our immigration consultant that it could be much sooner than the 4 months.

I am a US Citizen applying for my open work permit through my Canadian spouse... IRC received my application March 15th 2018.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, where are you getting this information? I have done some research and googling, some people have received theirs much sooner than 4 months. I was told by our immigration consultant that it could be much sooner than the 4 months.

I am a US Citizen applying for my open work permit through my Canadian spouse... IRC received my application March 15th 2018.
Based on information on this forum. The majority receive theirs around the 4 month mark. A small number receive them around 2 months. So you should be financially and mentally prepared for a 4 month wait and be pleasantly surprised if it arrives sooner. Immigration consultant is selling you the "best case" story (as they often do). It's only a minority that get through in 2 months.

TXtoBC

Apr 30, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-03-2018
AOR Received.
12-04-2018
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah upon doing some more reading on the forum it looks like 3-4 months is the normal and quite consistent at that.

I did however submit everything all at once, PR, OWP and Schedule A so *hopefully* that will expedite the process!

kesh2k2

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
India
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
23-08-2017
I have friends whose spouse got open work permit in 8 weeks. I applied for my wife on April 30th, awaiting reply

princeexpedition

Mar 1, 2017
It has been more than a month(7 weeks) that I applied for an open work permit(through online) but still waiting for the result. I heard that online process takes usually more time than applying through the embassy(by posting all documents through the mail). what do you think? One more thing I need to consult with you guys is that the success rate of OWP. any idea so far!!

kesh2k2

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
India
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
23-08-2017
It has been more than a month(7 weeks) that I applied for an open work permit(through online) but still waiting for the result. I heard that online process takes usually more time than applying through the embassy(by posting all documents through the mail). what do you think? One more thing I need to consult with you guys is that the success rate of OWP. any idea so far!!
I also same timeline for my wife
Applied April 30th , since then nothing I have heard.

princeexpedition

Mar 1, 2017
Hi guys, I finally got my approval for an open work permit today within 5 weeks :) I got this news from my agent. According to them, I have to wait 1-2 days to get an official letter. Is it normal to get the letter within 1-2 days in which the future procedures will be mentioned!!

Reactions: Jaime C and hellohi

sharmi143

Star Member
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
NOC B
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hi guys, I finally got my approval for an open work permit today within 5 weeks :) I got this news from my agent. According to them, I have to wait 1-2 days to get an official letter. Is it normal to get the letter within 1-2 days in which the future procedures will be mentioned!!
congratulation! if you don't mind please share the time line and through which agent you applied thought and the documents you uploaded.

Reactions: Jaime C

sharmi143

Star Member
Nov 2, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
NOC B
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
applied for my husband online on June 8th without medicals, hopping to receive and answer by September, I guess.

Salimakerai

May 21, 2018
Hi,
My name is Salima and I have got PhD admission into UBC, Canada.
I have applied for study permit, my husband for open work permit and my daughter for TRV on 12 June 2018. What is the processing time for open work permit? Should I hear the decisions on all three applications together? My classes will be starting from 1 September 2018, Will I good to hear in August?
Thank you

Reactions: Kruschev and DBG

caballo_rider

Sep 15, 2015
I also applied for OWP April 30th, 6 months after my initial PR application. I haven't heard back yet, but fortunately I think I can keep working under implied status because of my existing OWP (post-grad), which is expiring July 30th. Otherwise, it's super stressful to wait for these paperworks...

DBG

Mar 19, 2018
Hi All, what is the processing time of OWP if applied online along with spouse student visa?? Also, will both the visas come together or can have different timelines?

Thanks in advance