+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem in getting SIN ........

2calgary

Jan 21, 2013
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi friends,
We crossed Ambassadar bridge and enter in Canada 2 weeks ago.

Now I am trying to get SIN but service Canada staff saying my status is not yet updated by CBSA officer yet, so I have to Wait till PR Card to get SIN.

Any advice please........will this also delay my PR card?

Please guide what to do, I cannot even apply for jobs.

Thanks

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Sounds like nonsense to me. We took the passport with the copy / sign and stamped CoPR in it and the SIN was issued there and then (about 2 days after landing).

2calgary

Jan 21, 2013
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for replies

actually SIN office staff is saying that CBSA officer has not updated immigration status, which is not visible to them, so i have to wait till PR arrival.

thanks

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
2calgary said:
thanks for replies

actually SIN office staff is saying that CBSA officer has not updated immigration status, which is not visible to them, so i have to wait till PR arrival.

thanks
Aaahhh - OK. That will be it then. When my wife landed, the CBSA agent was tapping away at the computer for a couple of minutes, so presumably updated her status there and then.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
My wife landed at Kings Gate in BC and the officer told us it would take 7-10 days for them to update her status, and she still had her SIN the following Monday. All she needed was her passport and stamped COPR to get it. I'd try a different Service Canada office. Or ask for a supervisor.

Permanent residents must provide an original of one of the following:
Permanent resident card issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Confirmation of permanent residence issued by IRCC, accompanied by either a travel document (for example, a foreign passport) or an alternate photo identification issued by a provincial/territorial authority (for example, a driver’s licence). Note: The Confirmation of permanent residence is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a permanent resident. The permanent resident card is required after this period.
Record of Landing issued by IRCC before June 28, 2002.
Verification of Landing issued by IRCC. This document is provided when an original Record of Landing or the Confirmation of permanent residence is not available (if it has been lost, for example). This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain a confirmation of an existing SIN.
Status Verification or Verification of Status issued by IRCC. This document is only acceptable to amend a SIN record or to obtain a confirmation of an existing SIN.

charliev

Jul 27, 2016
Hi, I ran into the same problem a few weeks ago. Went to Service Canada, they told me my profile was "flagged" but couldn't tell me why. I went back home and called CIC, they told me my profile hadn't updated yet. I went back to Service Canada the next week, same problem. This time I had somebody helpful on the line, telling me something went wrong during my landing (computer or CBSA officer error, not clear which one) and I had to go back to port of entry. After another phone call to CBSA, turned out I could just go to a CBSA office, where they then properly "landed" me. Went from that office straight to Service Canada and obtained my SIN.

Do not wait until your PR Card arrives because something might have gone wrong during your landing too. Keep calling CIC until you get somebody helpful on the phone who can tell you exactly what the problem is. Otherwise you will have waited for months for nothing.

2calgary

Jan 21, 2013
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
charliev said:
Hi, I ran into the same problem a few weeks ago. Went to Service Canada, they told me my profile was "flagged" but couldn't tell me why. I went back home and called CIC, they told me my profile hadn't updated yet. I went back to Service Canada the next week, same problem. This time I had somebody helpful on the line, telling me something went wrong during my landing (computer or CBSA officer error, not clear which one) and I had to go back to port of entry. After another phone call to CBSA, turned out I could just go to a CBSA office, where they then properly "landed" me. Went from that office straight to Service Canada and obtained my SIN.

Do not wait until your PR Card arrives because something might have gone wrong during your landing too. Keep calling CIC until you get somebody helpful on the phone who can tell you exactly what the problem is. Otherwise you will have waited for months for nothing.
Thanks

Did you get PR card on time ? I mean did this problem delayed SIN only or PR card was also delayed?

Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2calgary said:
Thanks

Did you get PR card on time ? I mean did this problem delayed SIN only or PR card was also delayed?

Thanks
one thing has nothing to do with the other. this will not delay your pr card processing.

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2calgary said:
Thanks

Thanks
Hi ,
If your immigration status is not updated you will not get a PR card , you need to go or call CBSA to sort things out , chances are you get a newbie officer who did not process your landing properly .

KASK

Star Member
Aug 19, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore and Etobicoke
LANDED..........
31-12-2017
Did you receive your SIN on time? Did it delay your PR card? I am asking because I am facing the same situation.

Thanks

Thanks

charliev

Jul 27, 2016
My apologies for the late reply.

So, when I landed, something went wrong (whether it was the officers fault, or a computer error, I don't know), and so the system did not know I had landed. That meant that the PR card process didn't get started. So when I went to get my SIN, I couldn't get it, because I wasn't in the system as a PR. After calling Immigration Canada multiple times, the second or third person I talked to, explained to me that there had been an error during my landing and that nothing had been set in motion.

So no, SIN and PR aren't directly linked, but if you aren't in the system as a Permanent Resident, it is obviously impossible to get your SIN.

I called customs in the city I had landed (Victoria,BC) and told them what happened. They told me I had to go back to a customs office and land (again). They made sure everything was ok, every button was clicked, and I had officially landed.
I went to Service Canada right after I had successfully landed (literally around the corner) and 20 minutes later I had my SIN.
My PR Card arrived about 8 weeks later, if I recall correctly.

rjana2018

Dec 21, 2018
Hi Friends, I am facing issue with getting my SIN number. I did a softlanding 3 months back and moved permanently to Canada recently. I received my PR card but was not able to get SIN number at service canada office. The officer at service canada took a paper application and said it will take upto 4 weeks to get my SIN since he was not able to generate one. Anyone faced this problem after receiving PR card? How to resolve this?

Vostro20

Star Member
Nov 4, 2016
Category........
Hi Friends, I am facing issue with getting my SIN number. I did a softlanding 3 months back and moved permanently to Canada recently. I received my PR card but was not able to get SIN number at service canada office. The officer at service canada took a paper application and said it will take upto 4 weeks to get my SIN since he was not able to generate one. Anyone faced this problem after receiving PR card? How to resolve this?
Hi rjana2018,

I had the same situation on updating my permanent SIN number. After landing, I went to Service Canada to update my SIN number but the officer told me she can't generate a new SIN # because the Immigration documents I provided doesn't have my middle name on it. So she refer me to the Registry office in New Brunswick and sent my documents. After 6 weeks I went back to Service Canada to follow up but they can't do anything. They advice me to call 18002067218 but the line is always busy. Hoping I will recieved my SIN number on the mail soon.

Last edited:

ShaviSharma

May 14, 2019
Hello!
I'm facing a similar situation, after landing in Canada I went to Service Canada, they couldn't generate my SIN number and asked me to wait for a week and try again. I went after a week and was asked to do a paper application this was on 19th of March 2019. It's 14th of May today I'm still waiting to get my SIN number.
Visited Service Canada Last week, they could not do much, however they gave me am acknowledgement letter, not sure if my employer will accept the same.
Service Canada doesn't know how long it'll take for me to receive my SIN number, they've marked my case as URGENT, I'm hoping for the best.

Reactions: EnthuChap