+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Presence of parents during wedding ceremony

whiteapple

Star Member
Jun 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
His parents can come., Mine can't. will this affect our application a lot? i'm 25 and never been married. we've been together for a year and a half.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The visa officer is looking for proof that your relationship is genuine. Having relatives at your wedding shows that the families support the marriage and know about it, hallmarks of a genuine relationship. The visa officer will question why parents and other relatives are not there. But this does not mean they will refuse a visa because of this. Lots of people get married without their parents there, and are still issued a PR visa.
All you have to do is explain why your parents couldn't come to the wedding. Also show any proof of the reason that you have. If you also can get evidence that your parents like your husband and approve of the marriage, include that as well. For example, your mother could write a letter explaining why she and your father couldn't come to the wedding, but that they have met your husband, like him a lot, and support the marriage fully.
If they don't support the marriage, just explain they couldn't come. If you have lots of evidence of a genuine relationship, it won't matter.

MissyS

Star Member
Nov 25, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2010
Med's Request
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
05-24-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2010
Neither my nor my husband's parents could attend our wedding, for various reasons. When I sent my application, I included copies of the cards (with addressed envelopes) we received from them. I hope that will be sufficient.

I

iarblue

My wedding was in Brazil there was no way my family could get the time off and pay $thousands for tickets.So her family was there and i just wrote in the section that asks about who attended i told them why.
They understand that not everyone can afford to travel to other far off countries for weddings and such,and get visas to do so too.
Just explain it it the section that asks about the formal ceremony and the reception.