+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Preparing to cross the border

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be crossing the border in 2 weeks :) My hubby is visiting for a few days and will be coming up with me. I am American and he's Canadian fyi :) I have a few questions to anyone who have had this experience or knowledge:

1. We want to be 100% honest with the IOs, so my hubby are going to tell them that we are newly married and he wants me up there (visiting) to finish up the application and wait during process of the application. Does this sound good? Also, if they do not issue a visitor's record my husband will request if we can get one so if needed, we will be able to extend my stay.

2. We will have a a) certified marriage certificate b) receipt that we paid for the app c) a return ticket (if they ask!) d) letter from my in laws that they know about our relationship and will help us if we needed. e) copy of our almost finish application ... Anything else?

3. We will be doing my meds while I am in Canada Any tips of how I would go on about this?

4. We will be doing my Criminal background while I am in Canada, any tips? I heard something about getting stamps or something? UMMM can someone elaborate on this?

5. For questions 3 and 4 I can do those even if I am applying for an outland application yes? (Just to be sure)

If anyone have any other tips, they are welcomed. :) I will definitely update everyone on my border crossing experience.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
You shouldn't have any troubles...just be positive and honest and you'll be in Canada before you can say "Tim Horton's"....

FS

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the encouraging words, I guess I just had a few questions to be sure haha

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Is your return ticket dated at some well-in-advance time or are you just using that as preponderance against worst case scenario denial evidence at the border? Unless you do intend on returning it would be odd to have a return ticket, especially presented to CBSA, while at the same time saying you're staying for the duration of process, which might look like an attempt to fool them.

CBSA doesn't treat dual intent like the USBP does, if you have all or close to all evidence that would justify, say, an inland visitor extension, are honest and following the rules, as a CBSA officer put it to me on the phone a month before my wife and I went to Peace Bridge to get me a visitor extension (to which he repeated to me verbatim again when we came in person), "we're not in the business of breaking up families", they should give either a 6 or 12 month visitor record with few questions asked. There's nothing wrong in CBSA eyes with waiting out the duration of a PR application in Canada provided rules are followed and visiting spouse can be financially supported for their supposed duration.

About the med background, any one will do as long as it's on the list of approved practitioners, just double and triple check that you're putting in the correct info and that this info is also being correctly input by the office of wherever you're getting it done. They can make mistakes. Personally, I called several offices since in the Greater Toronto Area there were an enormous number of practitioners, and picked the closest/cheapest one I could find who regularly did this kind of examination as they (the doctor and office staff) were least liable to screw up.

The FBI background is pretty easy. It doesn't matter whether you use Canadian or US stamps to send it to the FBI (presuming you're fine with normal mail method), but just make sure the money order is in US currency. The report will be sent back to the address specified to send it to on the request form just fine, even if address is in Canada.

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your very informative answer, I was told that I should buy the round trip ticket, just in case they wanted to know if I'd return. I asked around if I should show ties to my country and I get some answers yes and some answers no. What do you think? And I will definitely be changing the round trip ticket to a one way.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
You're flying into Canada, then?

You should always CYA (cover your ass) for the ties part in this situation, but that's easily taken care of with things like a rental agreement, job letter, etc.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Definitely bring evidence that shows ties to the US.

A good friend of mine was in an almost identical situation to your (i.e. almost ready to file the application, coming from the US, flying) and came within a hair of being refused entry after almost an hour of questioning. What saved her in the end was her return flight and evidence of ties to the US (she didn't have a ton but apparently it was enough). But don't show this evidence unless asked.

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Again thank you. And do you guys think the return flight would suffice. I mean I've gone through CBSA with my hubby (then bf) and it was fine ... Experiences at the airport with me alone was gruesome. I can't think of any other ties since I don't have any :(!

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
even i need this answer.
what other ties can we show to cbsa that we will be back to usa..
this thought really freaks me out that if they didnt get satisfied by seeing return ticket and they think i have dual intent.. will they really send me back ?
please suggest other tips..apart from job letter, return ticket, rental agreement..???what else?

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simb said:
this thought really freaks me out that if they didnt get satisfied by seeing return ticket and they think i have dual intent.. will they really send me back ?
This really freaks me out as well! :( !

Bargeld said:
You're flying into Canada, then?

You should always CYA (cover your ass) for the ties part in this situation, but that's easily taken care of with things like a rental agreement, job letter, etc.
I forgot to ask, but is flying a lot more different than crossing the land border? I've been through both. Was denied entry when I flew (so I know how thorough they are) and when we crossed through the land border, it was easy ... I was only asked two questions which was "1. Do I have a criminal record 2. How long would I like to visit"

I am desperately looking for an answer now :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are really short on ties to the US, bring proof that you are actively working on the PR application. One of the best ways to do this is to pay all of the fees up front and then bring a copy of your receipt with you.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
LovingMyCanuck said:
This really freaks me out as well! :( !

I forgot to ask, but is flying a lot more different than crossing the land border? I've been through both. Was denied entry when I flew (so I know how thorough they are) and when we crossed through the land border, it was easy ... I was only asked two questions which was "1. Do I have a criminal record 2. How long would I like to visit"

I am desperately looking for an answer now :(
VERY different. I find they are A LOT more strict in the airports than with the bridge. If your husband is with you, let him do ALL the talking. Only speak when they ask you direct questions. It seems a lot of people have more success when the sponsor is with them.

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
If you are really short on ties to the US, bring proof that you are actively working on the PR application. One of the best ways to do this is to pay all of the fees up front and then bring a copy of your receipt with you.
Yes one of the things my husband will present to them is the receipt (of fees paid) and also our almost finished application.

parker24 said:
VERY different. I find they are A LOT more strict in the airports than with the bridge. If your husband is with you, let him do ALL the talking. Only speak when they ask you direct questions. It seems a lot of people have more success when the sponsor is with them.
With my experience with both I too found the airports to be a lot more strict. However, despite of that thought, my husband and I thought they would understand our situation and let us through. So would you recommend land crossing instead?

crna80

Star Member
Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
12-07-2012
File Transfer...
17-7-2012
Med's Done....
17-05-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2013
LANDED..........
05-04-2013
Bargeld said:
Is your return ticket dated at some well-in-advance time or are you just using that as preponderance against worst case scenario denial evidence at the border? Unless you do intend on returning it would be odd to have a return ticket, especially presented to CBSA, while at the same time saying you're staying for the duration of process, which might look like an attempt to fool them.

CBSA doesn't treat dual intent like the USBP does, if you have all or close to all evidence that would justify, say, an inland visitor extension, are honest and following the rules, as a CBSA officer put it to me on the phone a month before my wife and I went to Peace Bridge to get me a visitor extension (to which he repeated to me verbatim again when we came in person), "we're not in the business of breaking up families", they should give either a 6 or 12 month visitor record with few questions asked. There's nothing wrong in CBSA eyes with waiting out the duration of a PR application in Canada provided rules are followed and visiting spouse can be financially supported for their supposed duration.

About the med background, any one will do as long as it's on the list of approved practitioners, just double and triple check that you're putting in the correct info and that this info is also being correctly input by the office of wherever you're getting it done. They can make mistakes. Personally, I called several offices since in the Greater Toronto Area there were an enormous number of practitioners, and picked the closest/cheapest one I could find who regularly did this kind of examination as they (the doctor and office staff) were least liable to screw up.

The FBI background is pretty easy. It doesn't matter whether you use Canadian or US stamps to send it to the FBI (presuming you're fine with normal mail method), but just make sure the money order is in US currency. The report will be sent back to the address specified to send it to on the request form just fine, even if address is in Canada.
I had mentioned in one post that if you need to send a Self addressed stamped envelope for a reply, Canadian postage will not work in the US. I used a channeler and that is what they wanted. If the FBI pays the postage back then there is no problem. Not sure if the channeler is accepted yet.
AS for the Medical I did mine in Canada as well. Look up the providers accepted by the CIC, make an appt. If you are a woman, I would choose a woman doctor if available.