+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Preparing for a 6 month stay in Canada.. What to say at the border?

ajwhite

Jan 28, 2014
So I'm in a bit of a tricky situation when it comes to providing proof that I have ties to the US that will bring me back after my allowed 6 months and not stay in Canada illegally.

- I am a software engineer who works remotely, so I do not have a physical location I have to report to
- My lease on my apartment ends this month, so my only place of residence back in the US is at my parents
- My phone bill is part of a family plan

When it comes to assets or financials in my name, all I can think of is
- Active car loan
- Car insurance
- Bank accounts

Do you think I will have trouble getting approved for 6 months?

I don't plan on bringing anything with me except for my clothes. I would like to bring my desktop so I can work on that rather than my laptop, but would this appear to make it look as if I'm packing for a permanent move?

Another goal in this trip is for my partner and I to work towards being Common-Law partners, which requires 12 consecutive months living together.. I don't think I can say this at the border, because technically I'm only allowed 6 months, plus an extension.

Worse comes to worst, they won't tell me to just go home based on this right? I can atleast get to visit for a few weeks or so?

What would you recommend to get through the border (US->CA) without financial/property ties to the US for a 6 month stay

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Actually the worst case scenario is a one year exclusion order (i.e. a one year ban from entering Canada). However these don't happen very often.

I would leave the desktop at home and take the laptop. Desktops are what people bring when they are making permanent moves.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add... The exclusion order is an extremely (extremely) unlikely outcome. However being refused entry is a possibility if the officer feels you have insufficient ties to the US. Hopefully you'll get in for six months without a problem. However if by any chance the conversation is going in the direction of a refusal to enter Canada, accept this and don't argue. Nothing good comes out of arguing with immigration. You can try re-entering in a few days or weeks.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Like Scylla already mentioned, in case they are wanting to check and see you brought your desktop might make one suspicious. I would get your parents to write a small statement that you currently live at their place. Make sure to have a bank statement, a letter with your partners address and phone number in case they were to call and check.

They may not ask you for all this, not sure, I definitely was asked the very first time I traveled to Canada to visit my boyfriend.

You should most likely be fine though, don't pack as if you were to move though, I know it sounds harsh but it's to avoid the "suspiciousness"

Good luck!

scosan

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24 2012
Doc's Request.
May 15 2013
File Transfer...
Nov 5, 2012
Med's Request
remeds: Oct 15, 2013
Med's Done....
sent with app (original)
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2014
LANDED..........
March 28, 2014 (Calgary)
Hi,
If you really want your desktop, ship it UPS ground just before you leave. For customs purposes mark on it used computer/gift - value $50 and address it to your partner. Worst case scenario is you might have to pay a few bucks duty but I doubt it.
Scosan

saidtoday

Aug 27, 2013
My husband and I crossed the border with very few questions asked a month ago. We had a return ticket available, all the copies of our paperwork for the sponsorship application, and bank statements showing he was financially able to support himself while here. But the border agent asked to see none of that (kind of a disappointment actually lol, after being so prepared). She asked a trick question though: "What do you plan on doing for work while you're here?" to which my husband replied, "I'll figure that out when I get my Visa."

She waved us through no problems. We had his luggage in the back seat. Two carry-ons and a checked bag. She actually didnt even issue him a visitor's record, although we had told her that he intended to stay for 5 months.

I think the most important thing to have is a return ticket, as it shows that you do intend on leaving at some point, however, I've heard of many stories of people getting through without having one and no problems.

ajwhite

Jan 28, 2014
scosan said:
Hi,
If you really want your desktop, ship it UPS ground just before you leave. For customs purposes mark on it used computer/gift - value $50 and address it to your partner. Worst case scenario is you might have to pay a few bucks duty but I doubt it.
Scosan
Great idea! I will definitely pursue this option!

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
being honest is the best policy. Can't go wrong with that one

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Definitely true, amen for that! +1

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I agree with scylla and scosan, don't bring the desktop with you. Otherwise you should be fine. My wife came up with a plan to visit for 4 months. She did have a return ticket however (sounds like you are driving).

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
I'm going to do almost the exact same thing in March. I'm currently in Canada now, but I flew in on December 30th. In mid-March, we are flying back down to get the rest of my clothes and my car. We may bring a few small decorative items and my book collection too. I have a Nexus card, so maybe I'll be able to cross a bit easier. I'm super worried they'll suspect something though. My bf and I are also working on the common law option. If they refuse me, I could also lose my Nexus card and privileges, so it's extra scary. I won't have a return ticket, but I'll have an apartment lease that goes through the end of April. Not sure if that will be convincing enough. I mean, what I'm planning to do is perfectly legal. Would I be turned away if I told them the honest truth? I'm pretty anxious about it. This place is already home for me and I would be devastated if they refuse to let me return.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Panamai said:
I'm going to do almost the exact same thing in March. I'm currently in Canada now, but I flew in on December 30th. In mid-March, we are flying back down to get the rest of my clothes and my car. We may bring a few small decorative items and my book collection too. I have a Nexus card, so maybe I'll be able to cross a bit easier. I'm super worried they'll suspect something though. My bf and I are also working on the common law option. If they refuse me, I could also lose my Nexus card and privileges, so it's extra scary. I won't have a return ticket, but I'll have an apartment lease that goes through the end of April. Not sure if that will be convincing enough. I mean, what I'm planning to do is perfectly legal. Would I be turned away if I told them the honest truth? I'm pretty anxious about it. This place is already home for me and I would be devastated if they refuse to let me return.
If you disclose to the border officer that you are entering Canada to `live' with your bf to start the common-law `clock', per se, you absolutely, obviously, would run the risk of being refused entry. While, as you stated, what you're planning to do is perfectly legal...visit for up to 6 months (unless told otherwise at the border), you obviously cannot legally live in Canada for 6 months. Do people do it? Of course they do and even the border officers know that people are doing it.

I wouldn't suggest bringing anything like your decorative items or book collection as those would typically be found in someone's home...not taken with them to visit their bf in a foreign country. I'd suggest finding a self storage facility as close to the border from where you plan to live...er, `visit' when you arrive in late March. This way, your bf could `pop' across the border and pick up a few things and drive them home periodically, without any real worries (I wouldn't imagine).

Lastly, having a return ticket wouldn't have done much anyway, if you're driving into Canada in YOUR car. For those that arrive by air, producing a return ticket, if asked, certainly increase their chances of being admitted though.

Good luck!

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Ponga said:
If you disclose to the border officer that you are entering Canada to `live' with your bf to start the common-law `clock', per se, you absolutely, obviously, would run the risk of being refused entry. While, as you stated, what you're planning to do is perfectly legal...visit for up to 6 months (unless told otherwise at the border), you obviously cannot legally live in Canada for 6 months. Do people do it? Of course they do and even the border officers know that people are doing it.
I'm an American married to a Canadian. We drove across the border. We were lucky in that all of our belongings were being moved professionally, so I didn't have any belongings to have to explain. The man at the border was *very* nice to me. He seemed to know exactly what I was doing. He asked me what the purpose of my visit was. I said that my husband had been posted to a base in Québec, and I was making the drive with him. He gave me a sort of, "and then...?" nudge, and I told him (truthfully) that my husband would be in Québec for around three weeks, and then would have to go to Ontario for 4-5 months for a course for his job. I then told him (untruthfully) that we planned to buy me a ticket to fly back to Oklahoma and stay with family while we started an outland application for PR.

As soon as I said that, he smiled a big smile at me and said, "And THAT was what I needed to hear." He stamped my passport and said, "That stamp gives you six months, and if you ask nicely you can have another six after that." I can't remember if he actually winked at me, or if my brain later added that detail, lol, but his tone was so friendly and rather conspiratorial. He also said, "I'm not allowed to tell you this, as it might put my job at risk, but what I'm not telling you is that you most definitely do not need a lawyer to help you with the application. I'm not saying you can definitely do it yourself." I told him I didn't hear what he didn't tell me loud and clear. Such a nice guy!

You can't count on getting kind border agents, but I hope you do!