+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant and Uninsured, what are my options?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MrsMal said:
That makes no sense. I was given the visitors visa in my passport because I am living here. Immigration at the border recommended it and they documented that I have filed and that I am awaiting. I can't think of more ties to Canada then a husband, home and money. Even beyond the doctor, we go to Buffalo monthly to buy groceries. I go to NYC to visit my Mom. Are you saying that those of you who do inland applications don't leave the country for 2 years
Entry into Canada is NEVER guaranteed, until you get PR status. Technically you are indeed VISITING here. To date you have been lucky with border officers... but all it takes is 1 who doesn't like an answer you give to one of his questions... and you could be denied entry. People who apply inland know that every single times they leave Canada, they are putting their application at risk.

It's a moot point now, but you should have applied outland.

MrsMal

Dec 19, 2013
jomz said:
And applying outland does not mean you have to be outside of the country. As you are from a visa exempt country you can very well be "vising" in Canada for months and month at a time while the outland application is being processed. Bonus is that for straightforward US apps the processing timelines are low (8 months to 12) on average.

Please don't stress about the situation now. Review your options, take care of yourself and your pregnancy, you do not need the added stress now. Congratulations by the way :) All the best.
Thanks, I think that is what I'm going to do. The idea of starting the application over is pretty stressful, but I guess it is less stressful then going crazy about this situation.

MrsMal

Dec 19, 2013
scylla said:
Yes - those who do inland typically do not leave for 2 years.

I would recommend that you stop the cross border visits to the grocery store immediately. Keep the border crossings to an absolute minimum and only for trips that are really necessary. As others have said, all it takes is the wrong border official and you could be refused entry.
I just couldn't imagine. The inability to leave for 2 years, sounds like prison. How could anyone do that? I just can't comprehend it. Crossing in Buffalo as an American barely gets a second glance. I did go inside to speak to immigration and I followed their recommendations with getting an actual visitors visa. Obviously I know entry isn't guaranteed, but refusal without legitimate cause also didn't seem likely either.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
MrsMal said:
How could anyone do that? I just can't comprehend it.
Usually people that are visa-exempt (like US citizens) apply outland, and people that require special TRV visas to visit Canada, apply inland. Applying inland guarantees that someone already in Canada, can stay in Canada during the long processing time. If someone from a country requiring special TRV were to apply outland, there is a good chance they would need to return home and be separated from their spouse during processing.

but refusal without legitimate cause also didn't seem likely either.
Border guards can refuse you for any minor reason they can think of, whther they don't like the sound of your voice, the way you look, or maybe they are having a really bad day. There are many cases of people being refused entry based on the most ridiculous reason you can think of.

opmama

Star Member
Sep 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-17-2013
AOR Received.
07-17-2013
File Transfer...
07-23-2013
MrsMal said:
I just couldn't imagine. The inability to leave for 2 years, sounds like prison. How could anyone do that? I just can't comprehend it. Crossing in Buffalo as an American barely gets a second glance. I did go inside to speak to immigration and I followed their recommendations with getting an actual visitors visa. Obviously I know entry isn't guaranteed, but refusal without legitimate cause also didn't seem likely either.
I would imagine they might give you a lot more than a second glance if you are eight months pregnant, uninsured, and trying to cross back into Canada where your husband is...

I thought the border was friendly both ways too (I was a Canadian waiting on my green card in the US). I got stopped and denied for my temp work permit renewal. The border official was entirely wrong in my particular case, but when you are standing on the wrong side of the border, it doesn't matter.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
Rob_TO said:
Border guards can refuse you for any minor reason they can think of, whther they don't like the sound of your voice, the way you look, or maybe they are having a really bad day. There are many cases of people being refused entry based on the most ridiculous reason you can think of.
The official line would be that the OP is not a genuine visitor to Canada. And CBSA will deny entry.

MrsMal

Dec 19, 2013
That's it, I am calling Monday to withdraw my application and we are moving back to States. Not worth the headache. My husband got his green card in the US in 4 months through when I sponsored him. This process is just ridiculous. My husband got a job here so it made sense, but not anymore. Especially not since the declining loonie has meant a loss in earnings. Also the earning potential here is much less than the States and the cost of living is incredibly high. I have put my career on hold, spent over a year trying to get companies to sponsor me for employment. They continue to higher people less experience than me because God forbid they have to fill out a labour market opinion. American companies hire the candidate they like best, regardless. My husband was sponsored by several American companies before getting a green card because they thought he was the best candidate and in the States not only do you have to say you couldn't find a qualified American, but companies have to pay a fee. We have sacrificed so much in our relationship and career, but I will not sacrifice my family. Canada is looking less and less attractive. I never wanted to stay here long term, so it is just best to cut my losses now.

Becki567

Aug 8, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
File Transfer...
30-09-2013
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-05-2014
MrsMal said:
That's it, I am calling Monday to withdraw my application and we are moving back to States. Not worth the headache. My husband got his green card in the US in 4 months through when I sponsored him. This process is just ridiculous. My husband got a job here so it made sense, but not anymore. Especially not since the declining loonie has meant a loss in earnings. Also the earning potential here is much less than the States and the cost of living is incredibly high. I have put my career on hold, spent over a year trying to get companies to sponsor me for employment. They continue to higher people less experience than me because God forbid they have to fill out a labour market opinion. American companies hire the candidate they like best, regardless. My husband was sponsored by several American companies before getting a green card because they thought he was the best candidate and in the States not only do you have to say you couldn't find a qualified American, but companies have to pay a fee. We have sacrificed so much in our relationship and career, but I will not sacrifice my family. Canada is looking less and less attractive. I never wanted to stay here long term, so it is just best to cut my losses now.
See ya! Oh and by the way... *hire not higher

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Make sure you thank Obama for the insurance you'll get down south! Without him, you would be arriving with a pre-existing, uninsured condition and you might find that your employment-based insurance is just as closed as OHIP. Even with that, it might be that it takes time to establish residency, and then more time before the policy you choose kicks in.

Basically, every insurance plan in the world has conditions for entry, to prevent moral hazard or freeloading -- you've gotten pregnant without figuring out where your medical expenses will be paid from. I guess one way of looking at that is to blame the Canadian system, but I'm not certain if that's the first option I would consider.

Why would your husband get a green card and then move up here to sponsor you? The two residency requirements of the green card/PR are totally incompatible, there is no way that you could avoid one of you losing your status.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
Becki567 said:
See ya! Oh and by the way... *hire not higher
Becki, this is really unnecessary. We should be understanding of everyone and not everyone's situation is the same.
If you would have read the thread you would see that the OP is pregnant and her pregnancy is considered high risk at this stage, therefore it is imperative for her to have the care she will need.

Becki567

Aug 8, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
File Transfer...
30-09-2013
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-05-2014
jomz said:
Becki, this is really unnecessary. We should be understanding of everyone and not everyone's situation is the same.
If you would have read the thread you would see that the OP is pregnant and her pregnancy is considered high risk at this stage, therefore it is imperative for her to have the care she will need.
I actually did read the entire thread. I believe in understanding but when you are going to write a post bashing my country or complaining that FOR PROFIT insurance companies won't insure you when you are already pregnant then I say good riddance and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

She has contributed nothing to our health care system so darn right she should have to pay her own medical costs. If an insurance company covered people that already knew about a big upcoming expense do you know what that does? Either it puts the company out of business OR raises the rates for everyone else.

She got pregnant, she clearly didn't investigate Outland vs Inland very thoroughly and all she does is point fingers and place blame on everyone else for her situation. How about a little personal responsibility? She doesn't want to pay for her baby delivery, she wants everyone else to! If she thinks America is so wonderful, easy to immigrate and work in and it takes care of its' citizen perhaps she should read a newspaper or watch the news. And if she still believes that then I hope she is very happy living there and my tax dollars are not supporting her.

MrsMal

Dec 19, 2013
Becki567 said:
I actually did read the entire thread. I believe in understanding but when you are going to write a post bashing my country or complaining that FOR PROFIT insurance companies won't insure you when you are already pregnant then I say good riddance and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

She has contributed nothing to our health care system so darn right she should have to pay her own medical costs. If an insurance company covered people that already knew about a big upcoming expense do you know what that does? Either it puts the company out of business OR raises the rates for everyone else.

She got pregnant, she clearly didn't investigate Outland vs Inland very thoroughly and all she does is point fingers and place blame on everyone else for her situation. How about a little personal responsibility? She doesn't want to pay for her baby delivery, she wants everyone else to! If she thinks America is so wonderful, easy to immigrate and work in and it takes care of its' citizen perhaps she should read a newspaper or watch the news. And if she still believes that then I hope she is very happy living there and my tax dollars are not supporting her.
You are ignorant and a terrible representation of the country you wish to defend. Clearly you didn't read the posts since I am insured in my home country. I pay for my insurance every month and receive excellent medical care in my country. My husband pays taxes in Canada so the birth of his baby should be covered since he pays into the system. Clearly the system isn't fair. Also if the tables were turned and we were living in the States and I was the one employed while my husband awaited residency I would be able to purchase insurance for him even if he was a visitor. The fact that this option does not exist is frustrating and stressful at a time when I don't need stress. The fact that I can't purchase insurance has nothing to do with pre-existing condition you stupid prick. In fact private insurers on both sides of the border sell insurance for pre-existing conditions. The issue is that in Canada, you can only purchase travel insurance which is in case you get hit by a car or have a heart attack. You may have gone through this process with joy, but it has been anything but joyful to have been commuter couple for 2 years, finally leaving my job and moving here only to be told that in spite of my qualifications and experience no one will sponsor employment and then collecting all this documentation and paying hefty fees to find out that it still won't put us any closer to the stability we long for. I sponsored my husband's green card a few years back and it took 4 months. The U.S. has many flaws, but if that is where I have to go to better our lives then that is where I will go. So wave your Canadian flag, my child will be Canadian no matter where he/she is born and right now the best option is the United States where I can pay for my insurance and see a doctor when I choose.

BTW, it is fact that salaries in the United States on average are higher and the cost of living in most American cities is cheaper than Toronto where we live. We cross border shop for groceries because food is 30 to 50 percent higher in Canada. You don't have to attack me for this, I am not responsible for the protectionism that has attributed to this disparity.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
You should know that the OP would be covered under Alberta Health Care in her situation.

And your "tax dollars" ? Are you working already or still unemployed taking grants from government to support your school and pay your children's benefits? Because if you are not working, than my dear it is my tax dollars that are supporting your lazy ass.

Before you pass judgements look in the mirror.

MrsMal

Dec 19, 2013
jomz said:
You should know that the OP would be covered under Alberta Health Care in her situation.

And your "tax dollars" ? Are you working already or still unemployed taking grants from government to support your school and pay your children's benefits?

Before you pass judgements look in the mirror.
My husband is from Alberta, but unfortunately we are in Ontario. I would love to just go to a doctor in Toronto and deliver here. It would make everything so much easier, but since that doesn't appear to be an option I will return to the States.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
MrsMal said:
My husband is from Alberta, but unfortunately we are in Ontario. I would love to just go to a doctor in Toronto and deliver here. It would make everything so much easier, but since that doesn't appear to be an option I will return to the States.
The rules for health care vary from province to province.