AOR Received.
Jan 09 2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Docs
File Transfer...
Jan 09 2015
Friends.
I need help and guidance.
I along with my family(wife and two kids) landed in last october in ON. As I did not had any immediate plan to return, I did'nt applied for health insurance and neither opened a bank account etc.

We are still out of Canada and intend to return towards mid of November 2017.

Now we are expecting a new baby towards end of Jan 2018. Some people told me that lead time to health insurance will be 90 days 4m date of permanent arrival and application. I am thinking to go alone to Toronto and apply for Health insurance for all 4 of us but they require proof of address. I have temporary drivong license and PR card letters which show address per family member.

Can I apply for health cards without family's physical presence?

Can I apply with temporary drovong license for me and PR card letters 4 my family for the health cards.

In worst case, what options do I have for health insurance for maternity and delivery etc?

How much does it cost if I pay for last 2 months medical costs and the delivery in Toronto.

Appreciate your quickest and comprehensive replies.
Regards

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Can I apply for health cards without family's physical presence?

Can I apply with temporary drovong license for me and PR card letters 4 my family for the health cards.
No, you can't apply for your family. They must be physically in Ontario, and their 3-month waiting period will only start when they personally arrive in Ontario.

In worst case, what options do I have for health insurance for maternity and delivery etc?
Your option is, you'll need to pay for all pregnancy and delivery related costs out of pocket.
There is no health insurance available that will cover these costs when she is already pregnant.

How much does it cost if I pay for last 2 months medical costs and the delivery in Toronto.
I would budget $10,000. For a very simply delivery with absolutely no problems, it could be cheaper. However any complications, c-section, extended hospital stay, etc etc will cause the price to skyrocket even higher.

Fairmont81

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29 September 2014
Nomination.....
Jan 05 2015
AOR Received.
Jan 09 2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Docs
File Transfer...
Jan 09 2015
No, you can't apply for your family. They must be physically in Ontario, and their 3-month waiting period will only start when they personally arrive in Ontario.

Your option is, you'll need to pay for all pregnancy and delivery related costs out of pocket.
There is no health insurance available that will cover these costs when she is already pregnant.

I would budget $10,000. For a very simply delivery with absolutely no problems, it could be cheaper. However any complications, c-section, extended hospital stay, etc etc will cause the price to skyrocket even higher.
O.k. thanks for the info.
If we all travel back to activate this insurance. What docs would work for me and my family considering we dont have any bills arriving at the home address?

I have temporary photo license with address on it. Would this be accepted?

Would we need more address proof especially 4 my wife?

Would the PR letters recieved with PR cards be accepted as proof?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
O.k. thanks for the info.
If we all travel back to activate this insurance. What docs would work for me and my family considering we dont have any bills arriving at the home address?

I have temporary photo license with address on it. Would this be accepted?

Would we need more address proof especially 4 my wife?

Would the PR letters recieved with PR cards be accepted as proof?
Here is a list of proofs they accept. You must have 1 specific document providing residency in Ontario from "List 2" here: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-9998E-82~5/$File/9998-82E.pdf
There is no rush to apply, as you won't be covered until 3 months later anyways so you can apply anytime during first 3 months.

You can try looking for midwives, but since they are in high demand they will probably all be fully booked so unable to take your wife as a client. Usually people get midwives at very beginning of their pregnancy.

As I said, make sure you have at least $10,000 on hand to pay for everything, and hope there are no complications. If this is too expensive, then you will need to have baby in your home country and sponsor them for PR afterwards.

Fairmont81

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29 September 2014
Nomination.....
Jan 05 2015
AOR Received.
Jan 09 2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Docs
File Transfer...
Jan 09 2015
Here is a list of proofs they accept. You must have 1 specific document providing residency in Ontario from "List 2" here: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-9998E-82~5/$File/9998-82E.pdf
There is no rush to apply, as you won't be covered until 3 months later anyways so you can apply anytime during first 3 months.

You can try looking for midwives, but since they are in high demand they will probably all be fully booked so unable to take your wife as a client. Usually people get midwives at very beginning of their pregnancy.

As I said, make sure you have at least $10,000 on hand to pay for everything, and hope there are no complications. If this is too expensive, then you will need to have baby in your home country and sponsor them for PR afterwards.
So it means 3 month period is from date of permanent landing and not from date of application in OHIP office?

I can apply one month after permnent arrival with required docs and the insurance will start in another 2 months...right?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
So it means 3 month period is from date of permanent landing and not from date of application in OHIP office?

I can apply one month after permnent arrival with required docs and the insurance will start in another 2 months...right?
Correct. Waiting period starts when you establish residency in Ontario.

You can go 2 months and 29 days after arriving in Ontario, and will get OHIP number immediately you can start using the next day. Just make sure you have proof of when you arrived back in Canada (passport stamp, flight itinerary). If this will be difficult to provide, then it may be better to register with OHIP as soon as possible so there is no confusion later on.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We are still out of Canada and intend to return towards mid of November 2017.
If you are returning mid November, there is no chance that you will have OHIP in time for the birth. If you want coverage in time, you need to move to Canada ASAP; even September is pushing it just in case the baby is premature. Otherwise, if you can't afford the care and delivery costs, you should be planning to have the child in your country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would suggest applying for the card as soon as you have proof of your permanent address like a signed lease so that you get a card as soon as possible for post-natal care for wife and baby. Much easier to have the actual health card. Technically your coverage starts after 3 months even if you apply on the 89th day but without the card you may be required to pay upfront and make a claim to be reimbursed.

Hopes for a safe and uncomplicated delivery whether your wife delivers in Ontario or in your home country.

Fairmont81

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29 September 2014
Nomination.....
Jan 05 2015
AOR Received.
Jan 09 2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Docs
File Transfer...
Jan 09 2015
I would suggest applying for the card as soon as you have proof of your permanent address like a signed lease so that you get a card as soon as possible for post-natal care for wife and baby. Much easier to have the actual health card. Technically your coverage starts after 3 months even if you apply on the 89th day but without the card you may be required to pay upfront and make a claim to be reimbursed.

Hopes for a safe and uncomplicated delivery whether your wife delivers in Ontario or in your home country.
All this info is so helpful..many thanks.

I would'nt use the refugee/illegal immigrants funds.

So if I understand your comment correctly, start of coverage is 90 days from arrival in ON but the card will be given 90 days after the application at OHIP center? Till this time, I will pay and be reimbursed later on?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

So if I understand your comment correctly, start of coverage is 90 days from arrival in ON but the card will be given 90 days after the application at OHIP center? Till this time, I will pay and be reimbursed later on?
Coverage will start 90 days after you return to Canada. As others have mentioned, you should apply for the OHIP card after a month or so (once you have established a permanent address). You should receive the card before the 90 days and will be able to start using it once you hit the 90 days.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Sorry for the confusion. Your coverage starts 90 days after permanent arrival. You will receive your actual card approximately 90 days after landing if you apply early enough so they can process and application and mail out the card. It is picture ID FYI. If you apply in between 60-90 days after landing you may receive the card after the 90 days and you may have to pay upfront and then apply to be reimbursed based on the 90 day coverage date. Since you can expect many post-natal appointments it would be good to get the card in the mail so you can use it right away after your 90 days is finished. You will also have to find a GP to accept you into their practice.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
. Technically your coverage starts after 3 months even if you apply on the 89th day but without the card you may be required to pay upfront and make a claim to be reimbursed.
If you go on the 89th day, you get an OHIP number on the spot on a temporary card, that can be used immediately.

I would though recommend to go early to apply, just so there is no confusion over when they arrived in Canada to re-establish residency.

Not sure what you mean by this, as those "funds" don't exist anyways.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure what you mean by this, as those "funds" don't exist anyways.[/QUOTE]

Free health clinics are usually run by charities but may be supported by grants from the gvt.

Fairmont81

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29 September 2014
Nomination.....
Jan 05 2015
AOR Received.
Jan 09 2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Docs
File Transfer...
Jan 09 2015
If you go on the 89th day, you get an OHIP number on the spot on a temporary card, that can be used immediately.

I would though recommend to go early to apply, just so there is no confusion over when they arrived in Canada to re-establish residency.

Not sure what you mean by this, as those "funds" don't exist anyways.
Someone mentioned in a thread about this topic..but this is irrelevant anyways.

Ourboarding cards and stamps on passports coupled with bank AC opening visits and possible tenancy agreement dates can be a proof of re establishment of residency right?

I think everything should be after accomodation and lease agreemenr finalization so as to use same.

I am thinking to arrange accomodation, kids school, AC opening and settlement of family etc. After this I can return to resume my job and then go again before delivery.
Are nanny's available to look after my wife and kids..if so how much on average do they cost per month.