Interview........
Med's received: 31-01-2012
Passport Req..
15-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2012
LANDED..........
June 2012 hopefully
Anyone having experience with landing pregnant? Since health care starts 3 months later, what are the expenses for giving birth and is it wiser to give birth before landing considering delay due to adding one more family member and waiting for one more visa to be issued.... :-\

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Health care doesn't start 3 months later in all provinces. We are only talking about Ontario, BC and NB. Quebec actually also has a waiting time but not for pregnant women. If you have to pay for childbirth, it can range from about 5,000 to 10,000.

If you would rather have the child at home, you have to figure out how that works with your timeline. If you get a passport request and you know that you will not land before baby, you should not send your passports, instead tell the visa office that you want to wait until the baby is born so you can add him or her. This can also mean that you have to repeat your own medicals if they end up close to expiry because of the added time of waiting for the baby and getting the paperwork together to apply for the baby.

Le_Piaffeta

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
Doc's Request.
CC charged: 17-11-2011
AOR Received.
PER 28-11-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with App (8 band)
File Transfer...
waiting
Med's Request
09-01-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2010
Interview........
Med's received: 31-01-2012
Passport Req..
15-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2012
LANDED..........
June 2012 hopefully
Leon said:
Health care doesn't start 3 months later in all provinces. We are only talking about Ontario, BC and NB. Quebec actually also has a waiting time but not for pregnant women. If you have to pay for childbirth, it can range from about 5,000 to 10,000.

If you would rather have the child at home, you have to figure out how that works with your timeline. If you get a passport request and you know that you will not land before baby, you should not send your passports, instead tell the visa office that you want to wait until the baby is born so you can add him or her. This can also mean that you have to repeat your own medicals if they end up close to expiry because of the added time of waiting for the baby and getting the paperwork together to apply for the baby.

Tnx so much for the info :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also keep in mind that going to a province with a 3 month wait for health care is risky for a pregnant woman in case something happens before the 3 months are up. The baby could be born prematurely or there could be complications and if you are not covered yet, that could be a big bill to take care of.

Indigo

Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin, Germany
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2011
AOR Received.
05-01-2012
File Transfer...
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-08-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012 (COPR)
LANDED..........
22-01-2012
Have you looked into traveler's insurance that covers pregnancy? I don't know if there are any but I found this thread for you about someone with a similar question last year, which I will give to you in a personal message since I'm not allowed to post links yet.

Also, please make sure that, if your child is not born in Canada and/or after you landed, he/she will still be a Canadian citizen. I don't know exactly how this thing works, but make sure because it would be really frustrating if you have to sponsor this child to come to Canada just because you gave birth before landing. So please make sure you're well informed. I'd call CIC about it before making any decisions about this.

Indigo

Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin, Germany
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2011
AOR Received.
05-01-2012
File Transfer...
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-08-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012 (COPR)
LANDED..........
22-01-2012
Ok, turns out I can't send you a PM either, so I'm going to slightly break the rules, I hope nobody minds because I'm trying to help here, and it's a link to a topic on this very forum.
Add www before this:
.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/insurance-for-pre-existing-condition-like-pregnancy-in-ontario-t47797.0.html

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, there is no short term insurance that would cover a delivery of a baby because it is a pre-existing condition. Any insurance company that sold you this insurance, knowing that it is certain that the baby will be born and they will bear the cost would be losing money unless they sold the insurance for the same price as the cost of delivery.

An emergency travel insurance should be bought for the first 3 months anyway in case an emergency happens. Maybe it would cover an unforeseen pregnancy related emergency but I wouldn't count on it but surely it will cover other emergencies that could be costly like a broken arm or leg.

The procedure to use if the baby is born outside Canada before landing is not to land but instead notify the visa office immediately to add the baby to the application because when a new family member is born, all issued but unused PR visas become invalid. You should absolutely NOT land on the visa you got before the baby was born, after the baby is born because that will mean you can never sponsor the baby.

If you are already a landed PR having a baby outside Canada, you must sponsor it for PR, there is no way around it. A baby born outside Canada will not be Canadian unless one of the parents is already a Canadian citizen. A PR who has to sponsor a baby has a problem because in order to sponsor, they must be in Canada but the baby is often not granted a temporary resident visa to go to Canada with the family because the intention for the baby is not to stay temporarily. Sometimes it is possible to get a TRP for the baby to go to Canada and sometimes the only solution is for one parent to go to Canada and sponsor the baby while the other waits with the baby on the outside. If the baby's citizenship makes it visa exempt to Canada, this is not a problem.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
actually there seem to be insurances that would cover premature pregnancy or let's say complications for a premium - at least that's what I've been told by another immigrant from europe. so you might take some time and google it or get in contact with an insurance broker.
a normal travel insurance probably will not cover any kind of complications in association or as a result of a pregnancy. If I'm not mistaken that is even explicitly listed in the policy.

The cost for a normal pregnancy probably range in the quoted area between $5K and $10K. complications might easily double the amount. we recently had a case in toronto: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/04/20/ontario-ohip-waiting.html

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a woman on this forum who was billed $43,000 by MSP (BC) for a normal delivery of one baby.

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
I'm in the same boat. I'm currently pregnant and my husband and I have decided to just settle in Alberta for the meantime. Healthcare starts on day 1 so you wouldn't have a problem with regard to medical bills, especially after you give birth. Although you must stay at least 1 year (I believe, don't quote me though...). Instead of settling in BC, we have chosen Alberta for now also because of lower taxes and more jobs available. Good luck!

Umpatan

Oct 29, 2011
Le_Piaffeta said:
Anyone having experience with landing pregnant? Since health care starts 3 months later, what are the expenses for giving birth and is it wiser to give birth before landing considering delay due to adding one more family member and waiting for one more visa to be issued.... :-\
Actually you are better off coming pregnant because then your kid will be Canadian born, and thus your immigration be more Bona Fide and you are pretty much a shoe in for citizenship Agee that point.

Georgiana

Aug 15, 2011
How far are you? I did my landing in Ontario being in my 6th month of my pregnancy. Having a private health insuarance will help you during those 3 months which you need to wait til u get covered by OHIP, if in Ontario.
If you may board the plane (by IATA rule on pregnant travellers) without medical complications for you and your coming baby, my personal advice would be to make it, coz it will save you a headache and time for sponsoring your baby. Though, don't forget all the fuss and runnings coming with the first landing, arranging papers, apartment hunting and all the accompanying things you will need to handle with. It might be more stressful for a pregnant than in normal condition, though nothing is impossible.

Wish you luck and safe and timely delivery.