+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pre arrival services letter... good news ?

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Just got this today and from what I understand it's not an approval, but decent news to get.

Anything else to expect or anything valuable to get out of that? I am pretty much up to speed on how to apply and obtain SIN/Healthcare and we already have a decent plan but was wondering if there's something important to do there.

Anyway hopefully this means will be notified soon about a passport request soon :)

Thanks for listening!

Entity

Star Member
Jan 26, 2022
Foreign Credential Recognition (FCR) if you plan to work in a regulated profession in Canada (for example, nursing). Temporary job search until your FCR is complete (finding a job like as a clerk or a security guard instead of like washing dishes in a restaurant).

Loans for FCR instead of paying upwards of $1k USD upfront.

Temporary health insurance for first 3 months before getting the normal Canadian provincial health insurance.

Driver license exchange if you have 2 - 15 years + of driving experience.

Canadian style Resume / Cover Letter writing and practice on job interview questions.

English and French language practice and advise on where to find free IELTS classes in Canada.

That's about it, rest of the stuff is simple stuff like SIN, universal healthcare, bank account, credit card, and housing.

Reactions: nedvert

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks for this.

Do they actually hook you up with discounted temporary health insurance and what not? I was going to apply before we land to be sure. As per the current scenario I believe we will be not having to deal with a wait time even in Ontario for insurance since the Covid thing not sure if that will still apply however I do think you still need to get proof of address after you land though. (They won't accept before.)

Anyway appreciate this interaction!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for this.

Do they actually hook you up with discounted temporary health insurance and what not? I was going to apply before we land to be sure. As per the current scenario I believe we will be not having to deal with a wait time even in Ontario for insurance since the Covid thing not sure if that will still apply however I do think you still need to get proof of address after you land though. (They won't accept before.)

Anyway appreciate this interaction!
If you mean for when you apply for Ohip, you can't apply before you land. But you can get necessary address docs by signing a lease in advance or for example household insurance (have policy sent to you to your address in Canada). Then you can go the first days you are allowed (eg after isolation).

Reactions: nedvert

kafepoche

Sep 30, 2021
If you mean for when you apply for Ohip, you can't apply before you land. But you can get necessary address docs by signing a lease in advance or for example household insurance (have policy sent to you to your address in Canada). Then you can go the first days you are allowed (eg after isolation).
Hi, I stumble upon this thread and need some insight on getting OHIP. On the website there is this "who qualifies":
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
So for a new PR to get OHIP, s/he have to wait at least 153 days after landing. Is this the waiting period you are talking about? Is it waived for the moment?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi, I stumble upon this thread and need some insight on getting OHIP. On the website there is this "who qualifies":
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
So for a new PR to get OHIP, s/he have to wait at least 153 days after landing. Is this the waiting period you are talking about? Is it waived for the moment?
It means you cannot apply and then leave and expected to be covered by OHIP.
Believe me, some people leave Canada soon after they got their PRs.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ontario usually has a three month waiting period (you can apply right away though ). Waiting period has been waived during COVID (I'm not certain of status right now ).

The 153 in 183 - means your plan to stay. If you don't stay your use of Ohip is void and they can come after you to recover costs.