+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pre Arrival Letter - What is its purpose?

Tong tong

Star Member
Nov 7, 2023
I contacted ohip and ohip is no waiting period currently for new residents. So if I have to pay a hospital for my wife giving birth it will get refunded, as its backdated to the day of arrival in Canada.
You cannot get OHIP if you dont have PR. they only give you OHIP after Pr approval and you go to Service Canada and register and they will send it to you in the mail in 2 weeks time. and plus also SIN card as well so you can work. these 2 cards is very important for all canadian.

Tong tong

Star Member
Nov 7, 2023
Hello everyone,

I got prearrival letter on 19 October 2022 it states the following.

Hello,
We are currently processing your application for permanent residency. You now qualify
to receive pre-arrival services to help you prepare for your new life in Canada. These
services are only available to you before you enter Canada.

Timeline
67% complete

09 September 2021 Application received
04 August 2022 You passed the medical exam.

We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information
We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes
You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
We do not need additional documents.
We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements
Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made

Mar 31, 2022 Invitation to pre-arrival services

what does this mean ?

how much time can a person expect COPR after this ?

Thank you all
This mean you have to wait until decision is made. this is exactly to my husband and he went to interviewed already last week. and have the pre arrival letter the next day. its the same procedure for everyone. they will make a decision soon. it could take 3 more months. did you have result yet?? is he apporved for PR??

dillydally89

Aug 1, 2023
This mean you have to wait until decision is made. this is exactly to my husband and he went to interviewed already last week. and have the pre arrival letter the next day. its the same procedure for everyone. they will make a decision soon. it could take 3 more months. did you have result yet?? is he apporved for PR??
Me and my spouse will get our COPR soon, as new immigrants via Express Entry for Ontario and we intend to do our soft landing in Canada asap.
Is the 3 month waiting period still in effect?
How long does it take to get your OHIP health card if you are eligible and you apply for it?
We are looking to deliver our baby in Toronto, (7 months now) and if we can get the OHIP card, then nothing like it.

Kashi2021

Star Member
Dec 18, 2022
Hello all,
I went through the thread and a lot of helpful inputs from the participants.
We have a bit different case. Received Request letter for PCC, additional family information, Government position.

2 weeks after submitting the requested documents we received Pre Arrival Service letter. From doing more research most they say it's a positive indication.

Another 2 weeks in we received another request letter asking for travel history from, generic Canada form and one PCC.
We now wonder if this normal or if anyone received a request for ADR after the pre arrival services letter?

Kashi2021

Star Member
Dec 18, 2022
Jay31m, good morning!! They asked me for the travel history, in October do you know how long it takes to get landed ?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Me and my spouse will get our COPR soon, as new immigrants via Express Entry for Ontario and we intend to do our soft landing in Canada asap.
How long does it take to get your OHIP health card if you are eligible and you apply for it?
We are looking to deliver our baby in Toronto, (7 months now) and if we can get the OHIP card, then nothing like it.
if you are planning on for soft landing and give birth in Ontario, you may not qualify to be covered by OHIP. There is minimum requirement for the first year of stay to be covered. btw there is no 3 months waiting period currently.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

Who qualifies
With certain exceptions, to qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least 1 of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence

ValDen

Star Member
Sep 20, 2023
Hello everyone,
We received our Pre arrival letter in August 2023 and are still waiting for our passport request. all stages are completed in the PR tracker, but there has been no updates since we received the pre arrival services letter. Our VO is Manila and we are outland, spousal sponsorship (May 2022). We have reached out to the MP as well as the IRCC and they cannot give us an update on our file, since it resides in the Philippines.
Just wondering if anyone else is in this situation and how long does the PPR take to receive?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone,
We received our Pre arrival letter in August 2023 and are still waiting for our passport request. all stages are completed in the PR tracker, but there has been no updates since we received the pre arrival services letter. Our VO is Manila and we are outland, spousal sponsorship (May 2022). We have reached out to the MP as well as the IRCC and they cannot give us an update on our file, since it resides in the Philippines.
Just wondering if anyone else is in this situation and how long does the PPR take to receive?
Order your gcms notes.

ValDen

Star Member
Sep 20, 2023
How long ago was it and what steps seemed to be pending / what is showing in your online update pages?
I ordered the GMCS notes in September.

Medical Exam Request: 08/30/2022 (expired) reissued 08/25/2023 – COMPLETED

Biometrics
– previous Biometrics submitted – COMPLETED

Eligibility
: 08/17/2023 – COMPLETED

Background:
29/07/2023 – COMPLETED

Police certificate
: original received 16/06/2022, reissued new - valid until 09/02/2024

Criminality review
: 29/07/2023 - no apparent concerns

Invitation to Pre-Arrival Services letter Issue Date
: 18/08/2023

since then, dead air.

any suggestions or any information that you could tell me?

Tong tong

Star Member
Nov 7, 2023
We have good news. they send us an email he is approved for PR. he still here and we will do a virtual landing. we have our lawyer doing everything for us. from what we were told from him was you cannot apply for anything untill you have your actual PR card or COPR letter and goes to Service Canada to apply for health card and SIN card. otherwise you cannot do anything.. so we still have to wait for the 3 months procedure.... yes 3 months still needed. you have to hand in your PR pictures which is 2 pictures and have to wait 2 to 3 months to process. after its process and they can send you the PR card, and you take the PR cards to apply everything.

Tong tong

Star Member
Nov 7, 2023
if you are planning on for soft landing and give birth in Ontario, you may not qualify to be covered by OHIP. There is minimum requirement for the first year of stay to be covered. btw there is no 3 months waiting period currently.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

Who qualifies
With certain exceptions, to qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least 1 of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence
There are still 3 months period waiting..my husbnad got his PR approved last week but he was here so hes not going back to do the immigration landing in the airport but we will do a virtual landing in canada. you have to handed in the PR pictures 2 of them and they will take time to process and that will take you to 2.5 to 3 months wait. we hired a immigration lawyer and he did so many cases.. the 3 months wait is to process PR card otherwise you cannot apply for OHIP or SiN card. once you have that you can do anything in canada dont need to wait for 1 year. if we do it back in Morocco it will not getting any faster the lawyer said. still the same procedure maybe only 2 weeks faster that';s all. because he have lots of clients go back and do the immigration in the airport landing all of them have to wait 3 months for the PR to come out.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I ordered the GMCS notes in September.

Medical Exam Request: 08/30/2022 (expired) reissued 08/25/2023 – COMPLETED

Biometrics
– previous Biometrics submitted – COMPLETED

Eligibility
: 08/17/2023 – COMPLETED

Background:
29/07/2023 – COMPLETED

Police certificate
: original received 16/06/2022, reissued new - valid until 09/02/2024

Criminality review
: 29/07/2023 - no apparent concerns

Invitation to Pre-Arrival Services letter Issue Date
: 18/08/2023

since then, dead air.

any suggestions or any information that you could tell me?
When you say your medical exam was 'reissued' - meaning you did a new medical exam?

Was there a validity assigned to that? Has a COPR # been issued (in the electronic systems)?

I'm at a bit of a loss - if the medical exam was redone at their request, usually that indicates that they thought most was done and more or less ready to issue (that's the whole point). There is no mention of or security issues indicated anywhere?

I'd write to the Manila office again, politely, and push your MP again. With the same point again - if medical was re-done, at your expense you'd've thought that it would be ready.

And - if you haven't, apply for your spouse's TRV. Yes, it'll cost a bit of money, but it may get them 'off the fence', when the officer who sees it and has to sign off realizes they've left this undone.

Also - if info above esp medicals is correct, you want to maximize requests on them now - they have yearlyl targets too and cleaning off the already-done-but-pending-last-signoff is the best way to hit them.

ValDen

Star Member
Sep 20, 2023
When you say your medical exam was 'reissued' - meaning you did a new medical exam?

Was there a validity assigned to that? Has a COPR # been issued (in the electronic systems)?

I'm at a bit of a loss - if the medical exam was redone at their request, usually that indicates that they thought most was done and more or less ready to issue (that's the whole point). There is no mention of or security issues indicated anywhere?

I'd write to the Manila office again, politely, and push your MP again. With the same point again - if medical was re-done, at your expense you'd've thought that it would be ready.

And - if you haven't, apply for your spouse's TRV. Yes, it'll cost a bit of money, but it may get them 'off the fence', when the officer who sees it and has to sign off realizes they've left this undone.

Also - if info above esp medicals is correct, you want to maximize requests on them now - they have yearlyl targets too and cleaning off the already-done-but-pending-last-signoff is the best way to hit them.
The new medical was requested by them and we obtained the new medical and they uploaded it in the system and completed. there is no CoPR number issued.

we also applied for the TRV, once everything was shown as completed, but it was denied.

the MP only states that they are working on your file.

My consultant has sent many webforms to the manila office as this is the only way to contact them and they take 1 to 2 months to respond.

We are at a complete loss as to how long this will take and it is a very stressful situation for both my husband and myself.