+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pre Arrival Letter - What is its purpose?

sparkles_

Jun 26, 2020
Does anyone know what it means if you receive the pre arrival services letter- is it sent to every applicant? Is it good news to receive this?

Background info on our app: My partner and I applied via the inland spousal sponsorship app (mailed application- we reside in Canada). My partner has received a request for both medical (completed, results not received) and just received a request for biometrics today.

Thank you so much.

RYBanker

May 12, 2022
prearrival letter is known as AIP - it means that the PA has met all the eligibility requirements for permanent residency and you will soon be getting a final decision.

you are now eligible for Ontario OHIP insurance with this letter also.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
prearrival letter is known as AIP - it means that the PA has met all the eligibility requirements for permanent residency and you will soon be getting a final decision.

you are now eligible for Ontario OHIP insurance with this letter also.
This is new for inland application? As far as I know, prearrival is different from AIP.
Back in the days, pre-arraival depending on VO could come at different stages. I think AIP is a different letter and it's worded a bit different.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Does the letter has wordings like "It has been determined that you have met the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class"

If so, it is AIP. If OP got AIP, yes he/she can apply for OHIP.

It's unusal to get AIP before biometrics request.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Does anyone know what it means if you receive the pre arrival services letter- is it sent to every applicant? Is it good news to receive this?

Background info on our app: My partner and I applied via the inland spousal sponsorship app (mailed application- we reside in Canada). My partner has received a request for both medical (completed, results not received) and just received a request for biometrics today.

Thank you so much.
A member first recieved pre arrival, then AIP in 2021. Note that they are 2 different emails/communication.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/invitation-for-pre-arrival-services-before-aip-dm-inland.735293/

sparkles_

Jun 26, 2020
Does the letter has wordings like "It has been determined that you have met the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class"

If so, it is AIP. If OP got AIP, yes he/she can apply for OHIP.

It's unusal to get AIP before biometrics request.
hi there. this is what the letter says:

You now qualify to receive pre-arrival services to help you prepare for your new life in Canada. These services are only available to you before you enter Canada.

sparkles_

Jun 26, 2020
This is new for inland application? As far as I know, prearrival is different from AIP.
Back in the days, pre-arraival depending on VO could come at different stages. I think AIP is a different letter and it's worded a bit different.
yes inland

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
hi there. this is what the letter says:

You now qualify to receive pre-arrival services to help you prepare for your new life in Canada. These services are only available to you before you enter Canada.
Then it's pre-arrival and not yet AIP. Some inland applicants get AIP soon after pre-arrival. Let's hope that you are one of them. :)

Reactions: sparkles_

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Obviously it's good news.

But for what the letter 'means' - I'd read the letter. Ours said the following:
"you, your spouse and dependants can now receive free pre-arrival services funded by the Government of Canada. These services are available before you arrive and are meant to better prepare you for life in Canada."

The literal purpose of the letter is to offer you services - for free - to help you prepare to live in Canada.
Yes, there is another meaning - that you have crossed some threshold closer to having your application approved, or they would/could have offered you those services either - but those are things internal to IRCC (and subject to their internal changes and processing quirks).

The meaning of pre-arrival services is mostly exactly what it says it is - please use these services to better prepare.

mlampman

Oct 1, 2020
I got prearrival letter it states the following.

Hello,
We are currently processing your application for permanent residency. You now qualify
to receive pre-arrival services to help you prepare for your new life in Canada. These
services are only available to you before you enter Canada.

Timeline

May 12, 2021 Application received
Oct 11, 2021 Complete your immigration medical exam
Oct 12, 2021 Medical exam status has been updated to In progress
Nov 18, 2021 We need more information for your medical exam
Jan 18, 2022 Medical exam status has been updated to Completed
Jan 19, 2022 Eligibility status has been updated to In progress
Mar 31, 2022 Eligibility status has been updated to Completed
Mar 31, 2022 Background verification status has been updated to In progress
Mar 31, 2022 Invitation to pre-arrival services

Last update on pr tracker shows May 24, 2022 but no actual update so im assuming its a ghost update.

File is in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

My wife is in Uganda and pregnant with our child due Aug 29th.

With this letter can she apply already for ohip??

Thanks any help will be appreciated.

Reactions: Maher_mohamed4

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Hello,
We are currently processing your application for permanent residency. You now qualify
to receive pre-arrival services to help you prepare for your new life in Canada. These

Timeline

Last update on pr tracker shows May 24, 2022 but no actual update so im assuming its a ghost update.

I don't believe that you can apply for OHIP util she is physically in Canada.

mlampman

Oct 1, 2020
I contacted ohip and ohip is no waiting period currently for new residents. So if I have to pay a hospital for my wife giving birth it will get refunded, as its backdated to the day of arrival in Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I contacted ohip and ohip is no waiting period currently for new residents. So if I have to pay a hospital for my wife giving birth it will get refunded, as its backdated to the day or arrival in Canada.
Well yes, but that's nothing to do with the pre arrival letter.

Reactions: YVR123

betterlife999

Star Member
Sep 25, 2021

Hello,

Timeline