+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRC PROCESSING TIMES

JAVILAN82

Nov 7, 2011
Hi guys: My wife and I arrived in Vancouver August 8th. On August 10th we requested our PRC. We have not received them yet and current processing times estimations by CIC come to 72 days. We need to travel to Portland on October 5th and probably we still wont have our PRC. We are planning the following options and I have some doubts on each one:

1) APPLY FOR URGENT PROCESSING: According to CIC website there are two possible ways to do it depending on the application status (this is, in process or not in process). There is an online tool to check the status but i could not figure it out (i have tried with different types of documents but it did not work). Is there any phone number or email address to use for this purpose (to know which option should we follow) and maybe get more accurate info on our PRC requests ?

2) If the PRC do not arrive in time (which is likely to happen), we plan to rent a car to go to Portland and come back to Vancouver. I have seen online that in case we cross the border by car, the confirmation of permanent residence is enough to enter Canada and we should not have any problem. Is that right? would it be a problem to get the country in a rented car instead of an owned car? (CIC website only refers to an owned car). Is there anything else that we should consider in case we travel by car to the US?

Thanks in advance for your advice

sthaeem

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
In my case back in 2008.

My card was delayed and I went to Portland, OR from Vancouver, BC and came back to Vancouver twice without PR card. But you have be entering to Canada by road on non-commercial transport. All they check was my passport and confirmation of permanent residence paper.