Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I also sent application after name change, maybe I will have to do the same.
Usually there won't be an acknowledgement for the additional document they require. So that should be fine.
Oh I see! Any idea if this delays the application by a lot? They gave me 30 days to provide the doc and I sent it right away so if they don't acknowledge receipt of that then I wonder if at least I can hope to get dm before that 30 days (meaning that if I dont I'll know something was wrong with the docs or the way I sent it and I'll be able to resend before the 30 day mark)

simfhs

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
Oh I see! Any idea if this delays the application by a lot? They gave me 30 days to provide the doc and I sent it right away so if they don't acknowledge receipt of that then I wonder if at least I can hope to get dm before that 30 days (meaning that if I dont I'll know something was wrong with the docs or the way I sent it and I'll be able to resend before the 30 day mark)
It should not delay I think. You can also send the doc by case specific inquiry, to be double sure. But the email is sufficient I think. For previous applications I did update docs by email and there was no issue

alianjum

Apr 13, 2015
I sent my application for PR card renewal. It was delivered on 12 December 2019. Still no update. Anyone with same time line, please reply.

Lady_Ashka

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-11-2016, AOR2 24-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
upfront (03-06-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2017
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
It should not delay I think. You can also send the doc by case specific inquiry, to be double sure. But the email is sufficient I think. For previous applications I did update docs by email and there was no issue
Thanks for this! Let's hope you're right;)

sunny soni

Oct 7, 2019
Dear Experts

I have one question. Please help me out. My PR card in getting expired in Feb 2020 and my passport is getting expired in May 2020. If i renew my pr card first, is there any chance that ircc officials should put objection on my pr card renewal application and say that i have to renew my passport first because its validity is less than 6 months.

Is passport must be valid for 6 months or more if we want to renew pr card?

Or should i go for pr card renewal first then go for my passport renewal.

Please advise me.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have one question. Please help me out. My PR card in getting expired in Feb 2020 and my passport is getting expired in May 2020. If i renew my pr card first, is there any chance that ircc officials should put objection on my pr card renewal application and say that i have to renew my passport first because its validity is less than 6 months.

Is passport must be valid for 6 months or more if we want to renew pr card?

Or should i go for pr card renewal first then go for my passport renewal.
I am NOT an expert but no expert is needed for this query.

Canadian PRs do NOT need to have a valid passport. Not for purposes of maintaining their PR status. Not for purposes of obtaining a new PR card.

Unlike Foreign Nationals, whose status in Canada typically depends on a valid passport (with exceptions, such as for refugees and protected persons), once you become a PR then your status in Canada becomes independent of your passport.

Of course a PR needs a valid passport to travel abroad, and also a valid PR card for boarding a flight returning to Canada. Thus, if you have travel plans those are what matters in terms of deciding when to make the respective applications for a new PR card or passport. As far as Canada is concerned the timing does not matter. No problem, for Canadian authorities, if the PR is making both applications at the same time. Or for one rather than the other.

OR (again for Canadian authorities), not applying for either . . . a PR does NOT need a PR card to continue living in Canada and a PR does NOT need any valid passport to continue living in Canada.

Only if the PR travels abroad is there a need for a valid passport, and then both a valid passport and a valid PR card (or PR Travel Document obtained from a visa office outside Canada) is needed for the return trip to Canada, that is to board a plane going to Canada.

Thus, the timing of your applications is entirely your personal choice.

sunny soni

Oct 7, 2019

Canadian PRs do NOT need to have a valid passport. Not for purposes of maintaining their PR status. Not for purposes of obtaining a new PR card.

Unlike Foreign Nationals, whose status in Canada typically depends on a valid passport (with exceptions, such as for refugees and protected persons), once you become a PR then your status in Canada becomes independent of your passport.

Of course a PR needs a valid passport to travel abroad, and also a valid PR card for boarding a flight returning to Canada. Thus, if you have travel plans those are what matters in terms of deciding when to make the respective applications for a new PR card or passport. As far as Canada is concerned the timing does not matter. No problem, for Canadian authorities, if the PR is making both applications at the same time. Or for one rather than the other.

OR (again for Canadian authorities), not applying for either . . . a PR does NOT need a PR card to continue living in Canada and a PR does NOT need any valid passport to continue living in Canada.

Only if the PR travels abroad is there a need for a valid passport, and then both a valid passport and a valid PR card (or PR Travel Document obtained from a visa office outside Canada) is needed for the return trip to Canada, that is to board a plane going to Canada.

Thanks dpenabill for ur response. It means that renewal of pr card does not related to the expiry date of PR's passport. We can renew PR card at any moment from 9 month before its expiry date?

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks dpenabill for ur response. It means that renewal of pr card does not related to the expiry date of PR's passport. We can renew PR card at any moment from 9 month before its expiry date?
I am not sure about how far in advance of the date the PR card expires IRCC will accept applications for a new card (unless the card is lost or stolen or destroyed), so I cannot confirm the "9 month before its expiry date" part of your question. Others here are probably better acquainted with current administrative rules which would govern this.

Otherwise, yes, assuming compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, no other inadmissibility issues, and you otherwise meet the eligibility requirements.

Ak91111

Sep 2, 2019
Anyone with same time line, please reply.
I have got delivered status from canada post 20 dec, but no updates after that and my ticket is booked on 5 march 2020...(nervous) I thought it takes only 26 days from once you delivered your application.

alianjum

Apr 13, 2015
I sent on same day, no updates.. likely next week
Thanks, my PR card expiring on 15th March and hope will get some positive news before that. I have 900 days outside Canada out of which 288 days with my spouse who is Canadian citizen. So in total 612 days outside Canada and about 1150 days in Canada including 288 days with spouse. Let's c.

alianjum

Apr 13, 2015
Thanks, my PR card expiring on 15th March and hope will get some positive news before that. I have 900 days outside Canada out of which 288 days with my spouse who is Canadian citizen. So in total 612 days outside Canada and about 1150 days in Canada including 288 days with spouse. Let's c.
I recieved email last evening AOR that my application recieved on 12-12-2019. No status information.