+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRC (Permanent Resident Card) Renewal Timeline 2019

Murali1126

Nov 26, 2019
hello friends

i landed Jan 2015 and stayed here at canada until feb 2016 and left to back home. i came back here last year december 2018 and continuously living here. i have applied for pr renewal last week (sent the application) after calculating that i met more than 730 days eligibility.

would it be there any secondary review they go for or i can get my new pr card soon? please share your ideas.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
hello friends

i landed Jan 2015 and stayed here at canada until feb 2016 and left to back home. i came back here last year december 2018 and continuously living here. i have applied for pr renewal last week (sent the application) after calculating that i met more than 730 days eligibility.

would it be there any secondary review they go for or i can get my new pr card soon? please share your ideas.
It is very difficult to forecast who will encounter non-routine processing for a PR card application, noting that Secondary Review is just one of the types of non-routine processing for which PRs cutting-it-close appear to have an elevated risk.

Obviously you are cutting-it-close since you have been abroad more than you have been IN Canada since landing, and even more so since you were abroad for nearly three years since leaving Canada nearly four years ago. So it is easy to perceive at least some elevated risk for non-routine processing which might delay how soon you are issued and delivered a new PR card.

How much so is impossible to calculate.

That said, given the length of your absence since landing, you will be cutting-it-close, in terms of compliance with the Residency Obligation, for at least another year plus some. And this is rather apparent just glancing at your presence-absence history (apparent given the near three year absence). Whether this will trigger an IRCC processing agent or officer to refer a PR card application to non-routine processing is unknown but, given how obviously close you are cutting it, I suspect it involves some negative risk.

In any event, this situation warrants a caution about leaving Canada in the coming year or so. Even if you get a new PR card, you will still need to mostly STAY in Canada for around another full year (basically you need to mostly remain in Canada until you have been IN Canada two years since returning in December 2018).

Thus . . . a longer explanation . . .

Caution re ongoing Residency Obligation:

The underlying Residency Obligation issue lurking in your scenario is that you now have a rather small margin for staying in compliance with the RO. Basically you need to stay IN Canada for much of the coming year to stay in compliance, recognizing that come January the days you were in Canada in 2015 begin to fall outside the relevant five years and will no longer be credited toward RO compliance.

Indeed, the number of days credit you have today, toward compliance with the RO, will remain essentially the same (or go down if you leave Canada in the meantime) until February 2021.

That is: Your current credit already includes all the days between now and the anniversary of the day you landed this coming January (under rule for first five years), so between now and then you do not add any additional days credit for days you stay in Canada . . . but of course you can lose credit if you leave Canada in the meantime.

Then, after the anniversary of the day you landed this coming January, days in Canada five years ago will no longer count, so basically for each day after the fifth year anniversary of landing you gain a day for staying but also lose a day (until the anniversary of the day you left in 2016). Which means that between now and the end of next year, you cannot gain any additional credit toward compliance but will lose credit if you leave Canada during this period of time.

And this in turn warrants a REMINDER: if at any time after this coming January you have been OUTSIDE Canada for more than 1095 days within the previous three years (as of ANY day), that will constitute a BREACH of the PR RO. And this applies EVEN IF YOU HAVE OBTAINED A NEW PR CARD in the meantime. Obtaining a new PR card DOES NOT RESTART the clock.

Reactions: ahmed.redaa79

Murali1126

Nov 26, 2019
It is very difficult to forecast who will encounter non-routine processing for a PR card application, noting that Secondary Review is just one of the types of non-routine processing for which PRs cutting-it-close appear to have an elevated risk.

Obviously you are cutting-it-close since you have been abroad more than you have been IN Canada since landing, and even more so since you were abroad for nearly three years since leaving Canada nearly four years ago. So it is easy to perceive at least some elevated risk for non-routine processing which might delay how soon you are issued and delivered a new PR card.

How much so is impossible to calculate.

That said, given the length of your absence since landing, you will be cutting-it-close, in terms of compliance with the Residency Obligation, for at least another year plus some. And this is rather apparent just glancing at your presence-absence history (apparent given the near three year absence). Whether this will trigger an IRCC processing agent or officer to refer a PR card application to non-routine processing is unknown but, given how obviously close you are cutting it, I suspect it involves some negative risk.

In any event, this situation warrants a caution about leaving Canada in the coming year or so. Even if you get a new PR card, you will still need to mostly STAY in Canada for around another full year (basically you need to mostly remain in Canada until you have been IN Canada two years since returning in December 2018).

Thus . . . a longer explanation . . .

Caution re ongoing Residency Obligation:

The underlying Residency Obligation issue lurking in your scenario is that you now have a rather small margin for staying in compliance with the RO. Basically you need to stay IN Canada for much of the coming year to stay in compliance, recognizing that come January the days you were in Canada in 2015 begin to fall outside the relevant five years and will no longer be credited toward RO compliance.

Indeed, the number of days credit you have today, toward compliance with the RO, will remain essentially the same (or go down if you leave Canada in the meantime) until February 2021.

That is: Your current credit already includes all the days between now and the anniversary of the day you landed this coming January (under rule for first five years), so between now and then you do not add any additional days credit for days you stay in Canada . . . but of course you can lose credit if you leave Canada in the meantime.

Then, after the anniversary of the day you landed this coming January, days in Canada five years ago will no longer count, so basically for each day after the fifth year anniversary of landing you gain a day for staying but also lose a day (until the anniversary of the day you left in 2016). Which means that between now and the end of next year, you cannot gain any additional credit toward compliance but will lose credit if you leave Canada during this period of time.

And this in turn warrants a REMINDER: if at any time after this coming January you have been OUTSIDE Canada for more than 1095 days within the previous three years (as of ANY day), that will constitute a BREACH of the PR RO. And this applies EVEN IF YOU HAVE OBTAINED A NEW PR CARD in the meantime. Obtaining a new PR card DOES NOT RESTART the clock.

Thanks for your detailed reply buddy. my other problem is my pr card going to expire on jan first week 2020. after that date i cant give my pr card as a proof for any verification also i cant travel back home even for two weeks. what would be the alternate for this?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for your detailed reply buddy. my other problem is my pr card going to expire on jan first week 2020. after that date i cant give my pr card as a proof for any verification also i cant travel back home even for two weeks. what would be the alternate for this?
Other than to present when boarding a flight destined to Canada, from abroad, Canadian PRs do not need a currently valid PR card to prove status except initially to obtain SIN (sure you have done that), and establish status for certain provincial benefits like health care (you should have done this by now). Moreover, some (not all) provinces will allow PRs to show status by presenting an expired PR card (Ontario, for example, allows this for OHIP for cards expired less than five years).

PRs in compliance with the Residency Obligation can obtain a PR Travel Document from a Visa Office if they are abroad without a valid PR card. However, this can be very inconvenient and especially so for short trips, since some Visa Offices will typically take longer to process and deliver a PR TD.

PRs who have visas or other status that allows them to travel via the U.S. can take advantage of that option, scheduling the return to Canada via a city in the U.S. near the Canadian border and then arranging land transportation to the border. A PR does NOT need a valid PR card to enter Canada, just to get on a plane or other commercial transportation headed to Canada from abroad. Expired PR card in conjunction with passport should easily suffice at the PoE.

You should know by January whether your PR card application will be handled promptly and a new card soon delivered, or so it appears based on recently reported routine processing timelines. Again, it is very difficult if not impossible to predict who gets bogged down with non-routine processing. Fact you have an elevated risk of non-routine processing does not mean that is what will happen.

If, however, you encounter non-routine processing and a longer timeline, whether or not to travel abroad before you are delivered a new card is a decision ONLY YOU can make, depending on your circumstances, YOUR PRIORITIES, with due consideration for where you will be going (London Visa Office, for example, tends to handle PR TD requests much, much faster than African or ME visa offices) and how long you can afford to remain outside Canada.

navali

May 23, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any first week of November applicants here for PRC renewal please?

Lilly 12

Nov 7, 2019
App. Filed.......
Permanent Resident card
Doc's Request.
Oct 8,2019
You will receive by end of next week[/QUOTE
Now my status show decision made but,call centre people are telling I have to get the card from IRCC etbicoke office

Last edited:

LadyPaix

Nov 30, 2019
Mine is also same, I received email on November 22nd from IRCC
This confirms that your application for your Permanent Resident card has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2019/10/31.
I got that Acknowledgment via email too but I haven’t been able to check my application status online... it says that the Application number is not found. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Lilly 12

Nov 7, 2019
App. Filed.......
Permanent Resident card
Doc's Request.
Oct 8,2019
Call 1888 242 2100,tell them your application is not showing in e client status.

Reactions: LadyPaix

so-impatient

Star Member
Jan 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2013
File Transfer...
7-03-2013
Med's Done....
Sent with file
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
DM -23-08-2013
LANDED..........
will land 03-10-2013
Hi everyone ,

I sent my PR card for renewal - received Nov 6, started processing Nov 28 and it says decision made this morning Dec 2.

Hoping this means approval and is the PR card mailed to us or do we have to collect it ?

Thanks !

navali

May 23, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My application status has also changed to Decision Made. But when I further open the details, it still shows that “We started processing”.... how do I know if the cards have been mailed or not yet? And how long it takes to get the cards after the decision made status?

Dec 9, 2009
I think this is the right place to ask my question can anyone please let me know for PR renewal we need to submit Passport Copy, do we need to send first and last page or we have to send all the pages of Passport showing all the in and out stamps.