+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR TO RE-ENTER CANADA WITHOUT PR CARD

hoop8up

Oct 1, 2008
My father in-law become a canadian permanent resident through nonimee program in saskatchewan this year together with my mother in-law and my sisters in-law.my father in-law left canada after 1 month and back in the philippines to finalize his retirement as a police officer for 29 years.since his PR CARD is not yet release from CIC,the best way now is to apply for a temp travel document in CIC-MANILA.my question is,what is the timeline in processing his temp travel doc?since manila was one of the busiest we wonder if its good to wait his pr and mailed right away of just apply for a TTD.any input?pls help us.thanks in advance

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
hello,
wasn't he given a multiple entry visa for entering Canada as PR?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Suin said:
hello,
wasn't he given a multiple entry visa for entering Canada as PR?
There is no such thing. That is what the PR card is for. Either you courier you F/law his PR card when it arrives, or he applies for a Travel Document at Manila. Check their web site for processing times

PMM

hoop8up

Oct 1, 2008
Actually,CIC-MANILA give them a 1 month visa.meaning they recieved it on april and expires on may 8,2009 to be exact,so they have to leave in a hurry leaving his retirement process at halt.i do surf the CIC website but to no avail i dont see any timeframe for travel document for PR.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
please do explain whether I understand it right - once application is approved they give 1 entry visa to enter and apply for PR card and then applicant cannot leave until he/she receives it?

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
No. When you get the PR visa, it is valid for 1 entry. When you use it, which is the first time you enter Canada since it's issued, you become a permanent resident and no longer require a visa in order to get into Canada. The moment you enter Canada, the PR card is ordered and it arrives 2-? weeks later to the Canadian address you provide. In my case it's been 6 weeks, still waiting.

You are free to leave Canada whenever you wish, but you will need proof of your PR status to enter. The PR card is usually it. Not having that, you can do as PMM suggested.

welshiess

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
PMM - is this still the case for someone travelling from a country where there is a visa waiver agreement inplace, e.g. UK?

I have achieved my PR status but had to return to the UK shortly afterwards. I am now ready to return to Canada but my PR card has not yet been posted out.

Do I have to apply for a temp travel document even though I would not normally need to apply for a visa to visit Canada?

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

welshiess said:
PMM - is this still the case for someone travelling from a country where there is a visa waiver agreement inplace, e.g. UK?

I have achieved my PR status but had to return to the UK shortly afterwards. I am now ready to return to Canada but my PR card has not yet been posted out.

Do I have to apply for a temp travel document even though I would not normally need to apply for a visa to visit Canada?

Thanks.
Visa exempt citizens can usually get away without having a PR card to enter. BUT don't try it on a one-way ticket, with no proof of PR status, the airline probably won't board you.

PMM

welshiess

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
Looks like these applications get authorised on the day in London (that's what I understand from the website although it is not that clear). Anybody have experience of applying for 'Applying for a travel document (Permanent Resident Abroad)?

newbie2281

Jan 31, 2009
Hi,
Seeing various posts on this topic, I have some questions:

If one needs to return to his home/resident country to return to Canada for good and if the PR card is not available:
- If traveling by road, can we show the COPR document to re-enter? Can we also bring the remaining goods as per "goods to follow" list issued in the first trip?

- If not and if multiple entry tourist visa is available(hoping the consulate does not cancel this as PR is issued) can we use this visa? If yes, what happens to the goods we bring back during this trip?

shamrock

Star Member
Feb 13, 2009
I was told when I landed that I needed my PR card to travel out of the country but then the officer specified that if crossing by land before it arrived that my COPR would be fine. I don't see why bringing your good to follow would be a problem either.

hoop8up

Oct 1, 2008
Hi everyone,we did send a fax to cic stating that my father would travel very soon together with his itenirary,in just 5 days time,cic send my fathers pr card in the address we put.and now hes just waiting his pr card sent here from canada.

dfb

Star Member
Jul 23, 2008
I am going to have this exact problem. I am American - living in Canada. Will go back to the US for a work trip in early November and planning to land when I come back to Canada. Then planning to go home for Thankgiving 2 weeks later. I was lead to believe by people on here that b/c I have a US passport, it shouldn't be a problem to get back into Canada - is this incorrect. I will be flying for all trips.