+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pr renewal

nele

Nov 29, 2023
Hi,
I got my PR card this august 2023.after two months I had to go back to my home country for attending a course which will end by 2027 mid..is it ok to return after that so that I can renew my pr card which is valid until 2028 august
is it going to affect the two-year rule ?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,
I got my PR card this august 2023.after two months I had to go back to my home country for attending a course which will end by 2027 mid..is it ok to return after that so that I can renew my pr card which is valid until 2028 august
You will NOT meet your RO if you leave now and wont' return until end of 2027. You need to meet 2 year of living in Canada within the 5 years of your landing.
(not the day you got your PR card) It's either physcially landed with your COPR or when you get your eCOPR via virtual landing.

Reactions: nele

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Attending a course abroad is viewed as personal choice. You are choosing to attend school abroad knowing you will not be compliant with your residency requirement. The RO is 739 days in the 5 years since landing. RO isn’t related to the expiry of your PR card. If your intention is to live and work in Canada many foreign degrees are not recognized in Canada or it is very difficult to get them recognized in Canada and employers view the degrees differently than Canadian degrees unless you graduate from an internationally recognized school. Assume there is a good chance that this degree may be healthcare related. If true that comes with a while set of other issues. For example if attending medical school abroad you still have to consider residency. Many IMGs end up doing a residency in the US because they can’t secure one in Canada. If not reported the first time you meet your RO you would have a much higher risk of getting reported and the non-compliance not being overlooked if you continue to not meet your RO.

Reactions: nele

nele

Nov 29, 2023
my card is valid until sep 2028..if I am returning by the end of 2027 and staying in Canada for 730 days..is it sufficient to retain my pr status

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
my card is valid until sep 2028..if I am returning by the end of 2027 and staying in Canada for 730 days..is it sufficient to retain my pr status
To compile with your RO you need to stay (or be able to stay) in Canada for 730 days from the day you landed as a PR.
So if you got your PR in Aug 2023 you have till Aug 2028 to fullfill your RO. 730 days is 2 years. So when you cross the border into Canada, you need to be able to fullfill your RO. If you only stayed 2 months back then, you need another 22 months before your 5 years to be able to meet your RO. (i.e. Oct 2026 is the latest you can stay out without the risk of being reported of not meeting your RO)

Easier math is that you cannot stay outside more than 1095 days in your first 5 years after landing.

You can sure take the risk of being report and try to travel after. Your PR card will still be valid. You can still travel by commercial airlines. But CBSA can report you for not meeting RO or you could be lucky and enter without being reported.

Reactions: nele and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think @YVR123 gave an excellent summary. You should note that this is mostly according to the law, rules and regs as of now, and a new government could change things - and/or even without changing much formally could attempt to make enforcement of the rules/regs much more 'strict' in ways that could be unpleasant. (I say 'attempt' because there are still judicial and quasi-judicial appeals processes which may limit how far they could go - but that can still be unpleasant).

If I may add a few minor things, mainly about what happens after you return 'for good' and having to stay the 730 days (assuming for the moment that you re-enter Canada without difficulty in 2027 - which is a big assumption).

1) When you return, and particularly after your PR card expires, it will become much more difficult and risky (for your PR status) to travel abroad much, and you may have to wait until you get that 730 days to apply to renew your card - meaning possible more than two years (as some of your days will expire). You may find - like many have before - that this is a SIGNIFICANT constraint on your life, career, lifestyle, etc.

2) As a specific example: it may not be possible to sponsor a spouse or partner if you are not compliant with the residency obligation - and with limited ability to travel, that can be devastating to a relationship.

3) Expect the unexpected: many other PRs have left with specific plans to return and then .... life intrudes. If returning and establishing yourself as a PR, anew, without travelling is hard and can be messy, doing so after things come up, your card expires, etc., etc., is more so.

Frequent causes / things that keep PRs abroad for longer than planned are/have been: health issues; health issues of/caring for parents; job opportunities/businesses; spouses/children; pandemics; etc., etc. Some of these may be 'good reasons' that get you some leniency, some may not. Even when there is leniency, it doesn't resolve all problems or inconveniences.

So overall, technically your plan might 'work' but be impractical on lots of levels. It can only be up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: nele and YVR123

nele

Nov 29, 2023
I got my first PR in 2016..after that I renewed it in 2023. will it make any difference ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I got my first PR in 2016..after that I renewed it in 2023. will it make any difference ?
Yes and no. Formally, only the math of days in Canada for rsidency obligation.

First, most obvious, why not apply for citizenship?

Concrete things: the count that matters is how many days outside Canada in last five years, counting from any date you are 'examined' - most common of which is at a port of entry. (Within Canada examinations are mostly things like you applying for somethign with IRCC.) If you are coming back to Canada during off periods (summer, other breaks), you'd be accumulating a fair number of days and that frequent travel back would also be seen as a positive.

Less certain: hard to say, but ties with Canada might work slightly in your favour. On the other side, there are claims that there is less forgiveness after the first five years (i.e. giving a bit more room for new immigratns to settle).

If you're younger - like university age - and this is your first degree, perhaps a bit more understanding in that regard.

I wouldn't count on any of these soft aspects.

Last edited:
Reactions: nele and YVR123