+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR needs to go back to country of origin, wouldn't meet residency requirement

seth0

Apr 17, 2021
Hi all

I'm a PR currently living in Canada. For professional reasons plus the whole covid situation, I initially did a soft landing and after almost 3 years I finally made the move to Canada. The result is, I now only have about 2 months to spare out of Canada, and still comply with the residency requirement.

The thing is I came on my own and now feel pretty lonely. I feel that I should go back to my country of origin and get myself a significant other that's my own nationality. But that would violate the residency requirement.

I work for a Canadian company, 100% online. So I would take my job with me. I'm thinking that wouldn't count as an assignment abroad, as it'd be initiated by me, not the company.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to alleviate the problem, before or after I leave.
Any thoughts?

Cheers!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all

I'm a PR currently living in Canada. For professional reasons plus the whole covid situation, I initially did a soft landing and after almost 3 years I finally made the move to Canada. The result is, I now only have about 2 months to spare out of Canada, and still comply with the residency requirement.

The thing is I came on my own and now feel pretty lonely. I feel that I should go back to my country of origin and get myself a significant other that's my own nationality. But that would violate the residency requirement.

I work for a Canadian company, 100% online. So I would take my job with me. I'm thinking that wouldn't count as an assignment abroad, as it'd be initiated by me, not the company.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to alleviate the problem, before or after I leave.
Any thoughts?

Cheers!
You're right about the online work outside of Canada not counting towards RO. The only way that time could count towards RO is if your company has operations in your home country and transfers you to a different role located there temporarily. Any chance this is an option?

Otherwise it sounds like you're at a crossroads and need to make a choice about how important PR is to keep. If you end up leaving Canada and no longer meet RO, you will want to return while your PR card is still valid and then hope you aren't reporting at the border for failing to meet RO. If you are married by that time, the complicating factor is that you won't be able to sponsor your spouse until you have lived in Canada long enough to meet RO. It's a hard call. Good luck with your choice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Agree that you are essentially going to create more problems if you go home and get married. if you manage to return without being reported you may be separated from your spouse for 3 years.

Reactions: seth0 and YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi all

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
It may be a better option to find someone in Canada and have similar culture background. I am sure there are ways to find a spouse here who speaks the same language and have the same religion believe here. Otherwise, you risk not meeting your RO and also seperated from your new spouse for a long time.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@seth0

How about finding someone in your country who has COPR issued after March 2020 who is waiting to land due to travel restrictions? Or someone who can enter Canada as international students? This will solve your loneliness issue for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: seth0

seth0

Apr 17, 2021
You're right about the online work outside of Canada not counting towards RO. The only way that time could count towards RO is if your company has operations in your home country and transfers you to a different role located there temporarily. Any chance this is an option?

Otherwise it sounds like you're at a crossroads and need to make a choice about how important PR is to keep. If you end up leaving Canada and no longer meet RO, you will want to return while your PR card is still valid and then hope you aren't reporting at the border for failing to meet RO. If you are married by that time, the complicating factor is that you won't be able to sponsor your spouse until you have lived in Canada long enough to meet RO. It's a hard call. Good luck with your choice.

seth0

Apr 17, 2021
So I decided to leave.

Unfortunately my company doesn't have operations in my home country. So if online work doesn't count, that avenue is closed.

The only thing that occurs to me I could do before leaving, to alleviate the situation, is renewing my PR card: any other ideas?

Also the whole situation is affecting my mental health and productivity. I'm worried all the time, wake up everyday with my heart pounding, shortness of breath, and finding it hard to focus. Wondering if that would count as humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

So fellow forum members, this is the question: anything I could do, before or after I leave?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Personally, get on with your life and stop worrying about something that actually hasn’t occurred yet. Deal with it when it’s actually an issue. No point worrying yourself to the point it affects you mentally and physically.

As for the stress of not being in compliance as H&C grounds.....they will consider it, but I doubt it would carry any favourable weight in the decision making. Sometimes immigrating to a foreign country just isn’t for everyone. There’s a lot of thing that are sacrificed to make it work, and sometime it just doesn’t work out the way you think.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So I decided to leave.

Unfortunately my company doesn't have operations in my home country. So if online work doesn't count, that avenue is closed.

The only thing that occurs to me I could do before leaving, to alleviate the situation, is renewing my PR card: any other ideas?

Also the whole situation is affecting my mental health and productivity. I'm worried all the time, wake up everyday with my heart pounding, shortness of breath, and finding it hard to focus. Wondering if that would count as humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

So fellow forum members, this is the question: anything I could do, before or after I leave?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks!
When does your PR card expire and how much time have you spent in Canada? You could only apply to renew if you came back in 2 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you want to get married, no return in 2 months or be separated for years from a spouse you are likely looking at reapplying. What are you doing about your rental?

seth0

Apr 17, 2021
If you want to get married, no return in 2 months or be separated for years from a spouse you are likely looking at reapplying. What are you doing about your rental?
Just let the landlord know that I'll be leaving at the end of October or November.

seth0

Apr 17, 2021
When does your PR card expire and how much time have you spent in Canada? You could only apply to renew if you came back in 2 months.
Wouldn't be coming back in 2 months, not enough time. My PR card wouldn't be expired even by then, 2 months after I leave: let's say Feb 2022.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just let the landlord know that I'll be leaving at the end of October or November.
So essentially you have to be prepared that you may lose your PR and have to start again. When people leave themselves a very small buffer to meet their Rao they run out of options if they need to leave. We see it on this forum time and time again.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wouldn't be coming back in 2 months, not enough time. My PR card wouldn't be expired even by then, 2 months after I leave: let's say Feb 2022.
If you met your RO as of now, you can apply for PR card renewal and perhaps your renewed PR card can send to your friend's address (so that she / he can courier the card to you overseas).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Not clear what you mean by 'the whole situation' - being in Canada and loneliness, or the residency situation?

In either case you may wish to see a mental health professional/therapist.

It may be a serious mistake to believe that returning and getting married is the right 'solution' to these symptoms.

On the other hand, if it's the stress of thinking about the immigration implications, then the answer may be different.

Only pointing out that you may be taking route that is not at all going to help and may make things worse.