+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR > Left CA as a Minor > Expired PRC

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all, I hope all of you are safe and receiving this in good health,

I have a similar story, My family migrated to Canada back in the year 2000, and stayed in Canada for some years as a PRs, where I enrolled in a public school. During the crisis period in 2008 my parents left Canada since they did not find any job there and because my mother needed some medication after giving birth to my sisters, after which I never came back ( so we did not meet the 730 days minimum).

Fast forward to 2013, my PRC expired. I was 15 years old at the time.

I finished high school scoring very high ranked grades in international exams in 2015, but being under 18, I did not make a living. And hence I had no choice on where to study. There was a conference made by Canadian universities in my town, which I attended, and they told me to apply as an international and so I did not have any idea about issuing PRTD at that age. Due to family problems, and since my father wouldn’t fund my education, I had to apply to METU, a university in Turkey, where I got admitted with a full scholarship and funding.

At 21 years of age, I started working and studying simultaneously, and in Jan 2020, I graduated at 22 among the top students, and was offered a high ranked job, so I earned good money.

Now being financially stable, I am able to go back to Canada. Yet I will quit my job, as I would like to return to Canada and establish my life there and reside there permanently, as I was removed as a minor, I was essentially bound by decisions made by my parents on my behalf. And this is the earliest it was possible for me to return since it was not in my best interest to quit my degree, especially financially. I have applied to numerous Canadian universities for MASc and PHD and contacted numerous professors, and so I am committed to staying in the long run.

I have read most of the related forums around here, and I realize that my options are either to apply to a travel document or cross the US border, through a H&C claim. Yet I am unable to decide on which one to go for. I have US visa, and so that’s not a problem.

If I go through the land boarder, can I renew my card immediately? Is that also the case with coming through a PRTD? Im turning 23 this month and so I need to decide quickly.

I am sorry for the long post I only had to describe my reasons in a detailed manner. And with the COVID-19 regulations going on, i truly have my wires crossed.
What is exactly some years if your family couldn’t meet the 2 out of 5 years? There is no medication that would be needed but not available postpartum in Canada vs Turkey. Your attempt to come back to Canada is a risk. Would not quit your job until you know you have been able to enter Canada without being reported. Getting healthcare coverage may also be an issue if you are able to enter without being reported. Given covid you may also face extra scrutiny at all borders.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all, I hope all of you are safe and receiving this in good health,

I have a similar story, My family migrated to Canada back in the year 2000, and stayed in Canada for some years as a PRs, where I enrolled in a public school. During the crisis period in 2008 my parents left Canada since they did not find any job there and because my mother needed some medication after giving birth to my sisters, after which I never came back ( so we did not meet the 730 days minimum).

Fast forward to 2013, my PRC expired. I was 15 years old at the time.

I finished high school scoring very high ranked grades in international exams in 2015, but being under 18, I did not make a living. And hence I had no choice on where to study. There was a conference made by Canadian universities in my town, which I attended, and they told me to apply as an international and so I did not have any idea about issuing PRTD at that age. Due to family problems, and since my father wouldn’t fund my education, I had to apply to METU, a university in Turkey, where I got admitted with a full scholarship and funding.

At 21 years of age, I started working and studying simultaneously, and in Jan 2020, I graduated at 22 among the top students, and was offered a high ranked job, so I earned good money.

Now being financially stable, I am able to go back to Canada. Yet I will quit my job, as I would like to return to Canada and establish my life there and reside there permanently, as I was removed as a minor, I was essentially bound by decisions made by my parents on my behalf. And this is the earliest it was possible for me to return since it was not in my best interest to quit my degree, especially financially. I have applied to numerous Canadian universities for MASc and PHD and contacted numerous professors, and so I am committed to staying in the long run.

I have read most of the related forums around here, and I realize that my options are either to apply to a travel document or cross the US border, through a H&C claim. Yet I am unable to decide on which one to go for. I have US visa, and so that’s not a problem.

If I go through the land boarder, can I renew my card immediately? Is that also the case with coming through a PRTD? Im turning 23 this month and so I need to decide quickly.

I am sorry for the long post I only had to describe my reasons in a detailed manner. And with the COVID-19 regulations going on, i truly have my wires crossed.
Right now there is a travel ban in place for border traffic through to the end of June which would make it more difficult for you to re-enter Canada. Something to keep in mind...

If you go through with the plan to re-enter Canada from the U.S. after the COVID situation is over and are able to re-enter Canada without being reported, no - you will not be able to renew your PR card immediately. You will need to live in Canada for 2 years straight before you can do so.

If you decide not to try to re-enter Canada through a U.S, land boarder, I think you might as well apply for the PRTD. Nothing to lose!