+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Landing Experience from 2022

Fardil204

Nov 12, 2022
I landed in October 2022 at Toronto airport, my initial plan was to come somewhere around Feb 2023 but I had given a job interview which went well and was expecting a positive reply so I just flew earlier then expected, the flight ticket was expensive as i booked it just 5 days prior. It was a long flight and pretty much slept all the way through. After I landed I was directed to the immigration area or what ever you call it, there were kisoks where you had to scan your passport and enter your information, I don't remember the questions but it was pretty straight forward besides the passport scanning and got a receipt with some info on it. After which I proceeded to an area where there were individual booths, its like an immigration checkpoint for everyone, but the immigration officer drew a line on my kiosk generated receipt since it was my first time in the country and further immigration process was required, I just followed the flow of people and they divided near the entrance to another immigration point where an officer was asking us to show our kiosk receipt , and if it had a line drawn it they were directing us to this point. This was required for everyone who was arriving for the first time. This was the first and only queue which I has to join on my whole journey, It took about 20-25 mins until my turn was up, I came near the counter took out my documents and file. I was just asked for COPR and passport, after the IO enter some information he asked me for an address where the PR card had to be sent, i gave that information and was asked to sign on both the COPRs he kept one with the photo on it and returned the other which had his signature and I was good to go. I went down the escalator to the baggage claim, the baggage claim took over 40-60 mins. Posted a few insta and snapchats updated and was good to go.

The Next day was a week day, I went to open a bank account, he asked for COPR, passport and an address to put on file (luckly there was a bank teller to help me open my account without any appointment) it took around 30 mins and left with a debit card(it dosent have my name printed on it). After which I went for SIN at service canada, there were a few other in line but it took about 30 mins to exit the office with SIN in hand. After which I went to service ontario to get Health insurance or OHIP, this was a huge mistake going without an appointment. had to wait for 120 mins and then my turn came up ( I had taken a document similar to statement or something from my bank earlier with their stamp for it as an address proof) my address proof didn't work and had to go without getting anything done. After 1 month I went for my Drivers licence and recieved it in 2 weeks after which I went to service ontario after booking an appointment and gor my OHIP and was out in 20 mins because of the appointment.

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
Hello, everyone

Landed early hours of today in Pearson Airport, Toronto. Very smooth and quick. Highly recommend you to get a flight booking that lands you early in the morning. I was done in 20 minutes from airplane to laggage.

My route:
Home Country —> Dubai (FlyDubai)
Dubai —> Toronto (AirCanada, direct flight, 15 hours)

Ticket cost me $US2K because it was Go&Back. Got this in Oct 2023 when I was planning to do soft-landing but later changed my mind.

Application Date: September 2019
Stream: FSWO
Dependents: Two non-accompanying dependents
VO: Nairobi, Kenya
PPR: July, 2022
COPR + Visa Issued: Aug 2022
Landed: January, 2023

All the best. Thank you for the support and information on this magnificent forum. Hugs and Kisses.

d3ftar

Mar 19, 2021
How many days does it take from PR card being approved ( mine was approved on November 30, 2022, landed on Sep 12, 2022 ) to receiving it in mail ? Is there any way to track that information ? I have linked the application in the CIC portal but the only update I see there is that it was approved.

Yumna

Jun 30, 2019
How many days does it take from PR card being approved ( mine was approved on November 30, 2022, landed on Sep 12, 2022 ) to receiving it in mail ? Is there any way to track that information ? I have linked the application in the CIC portal but the only update I see there is that it was approved.
Same, my pr card also shows approved and mailed since 30th nov. 2022 but havent received it yet.

nwo4lyf

May 29, 2019
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
25-02-2020
IELTS Request
11-05-2019
Passport Req..
18-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2022
LANDED..........
17-01-2023
Landed on January 17, 2023 via the land border.

Country of Birth/Nationality: India
Origin Country/State: USA/California
Port of Entry: Kingsgate, BC
Destination: Calgary, AB

I left the Bay Area on January 11. I drove my car, which I was also exporting out of the US and importing into Canada. I had my cat with me, along with all my belongings in my car. I chose not to have any goods to follow. My stops were in southern Oregon (1 night), Seattle (4 nights), Spokane (1 night). A smooth drive overall, just a lot of rain all through I-5 in California and while in Seattle.

At the border:
Parked in the visitor parking area and asked a passer by where the CBP office was. I went into the building and waited for an officer to be available. He then asked for the ITN and VIN of my car, after which we proceeded to my car to verify the VIN. Back to the office, he worked on his computer for a few minutes, and came back with the car title marked for export. Pretty smooth process, but the officers looked like they had been forced to watch The Big Bang Theory for 24 hours straight.

I bid adieu to the US, and slowly crawled up to the Canadian booth. Only one lane was open, although there was also just one truck ahead of me. Once I got to the window, the officer greeted me with a smile and asked what I was there for. I performed the usual landing spiel, after which he gave me a yellow slip and asked me to pull over into the canopy on the left. I parked my car there, gathered my documents and walked into the building. This was much larger than the US side, and there were about 7 officers although no other client than me. One of the officers took the yellow slip, my passport, CoPR, my cat's rabies certificate and my car title, and asked me to sit down while he did all the processing.

I walked to the officer and back about 7-8 times as they called me up to sign various documents and ask clarifying questions. The guy handling my case was apparently new, so his supervisor was guiding him, which added to the wait. Eventually, they called me up to ask for goods accompanying list and my car keys. The supervisor and another officer then went out to check my car (had to request them to be a little quiet coz my cat is ridiculously timid). After they came back, they called me up one last time. I was asked to initial and sign both copies of the CoPR, the Form1 for the car import, and the BSF186 form. They returned all of that (plus the passport and rabies certificate), and with a sly smile, told me I'm officially a permanent resident of Canada. I was a little dumbfounded - for such a massive milestone, it was a rather mundane and quick process, which didn't let my emotions build up. I thanked them and walked out. I'd been in there for about 40 minutes. The officers on the this side of the border were really nice and friendly (Canadians, eh?), which helped calm my nerves.

Drove a little ahead to the truck parking lot, and stopped to breath in the moment. Still nothing (perhaps I needed to have weed or a drink to lighten up). Woke up my parents to share the news, called a few friends, and took a photo near the "Welcome to BC" sign. I then took off, because I still had quite the distance to drive to get to Calgary.

The drive after the border through the Canadian Rockies is quite possibly the most beautiful road I've driven on, and this is coming from someone who has been to pretty much every nook and cranny of California. I reached Calgary late, but was happy to have made it through. My life's biggest achievement so far had been unlocked.

The next day (well, yesterday), I got my SIN, bank account, and Canadian phone number. Time now to look for an apartment.

Lavish198

Apr 7, 2019
Hi All,

I am in USA and potentially will get the PR Visa stamped (sent passport to Ottawa) , i got through PNP for Saskatchewan, can i still do the soft landing at Toronto port of entry via Detroit , give them my friends address for PR card and come back to USA ?

Addan29

May 16, 2018
Italy
Hi everyone

I landed on August 28th. The process went smoothly, just the regular questions that others have posted here before me.

I only have one gigantic problem that is preventing me from sleeping at night. I have not received my PR Card yet. Not only that, but I have no information about it in my account on the IRCC website. No confirmation, no application, no email, nothing. It's been almost 180 days and I am worried that the officer who asked for my address never actually started the PR request.

I tried to access the "provide us with your address" webform on the IRCC website but it says that it cannot find my application. (I used my UCI number). I am terrified something went wrong.

Could you share your experiences? Do you know what it could be?

Thanks!

d3ftar

Mar 19, 2021
I received an email from IRCC "We have verified the information you provided and can confirm that your document was returned as undeliverable by Canada Post to the Case Processing Centre." They are asking me to fill the web form and share the residential and mailing address.
I had landed in Vancouver in Sep 2022. I am currently in California and have no immediate plans of going to Canada.

The address I gave was in Toronto of a friend's Apartment. I verified again that the address was correct and no typos. Is there a specific format that I should follow ? e.g. I did not use c/o ( care of ) in the address. I directly used my name and then address.

* How have people received PR cards in cases where they are outside Canada ?
* What happens if the second attempt after I update the address fails as well ?
* Is there a way to get the CARD mailed directly to USA ? ( I think no, but asking just in case anyone has done that before ).
* Can I pick up the card the physically in Canada (for me and my wife )at a later date this year ? How do I make that happen if needed ? I understand that I need a PRTD to travel by air; what else would I need to do ?

Yumna

Jun 30, 2019
I received an email from IRCC "We have verified the information you provided and can confirm that your document was returned as undeliverable by Canada Post to the Case Processing Centre." They are asking me to fill the web form and share the residential and mailing address.
I had landed in Vancouver in Sep 2022. I am currently in California and have no immediate plans of going to Canada.

The address I gave was in Toronto of a friend's Apartment. I verified again that the address was correct and no typos. Is there a specific format that I should follow ? e.g. I did not use c/o ( care of ) in the address. I directly used my name and then address.

* How have people received PR cards in cases where they are outside Canada ?
* What happens if the second attempt after I update the address fails as well ?
* Is there a way to get the CARD mailed directly to USA ? ( I think no, but asking just in case anyone has done that before ).
* Can I pick up the card the physically in Canada (for me and my wife )at a later date this year ? How do I make that happen if needed ? I understand that I need a PRTD to travel by air; what else would I need to do ?
Hi, I am facing similar issue.

How did you get email from IRCC regarding the undeliverable PR card, Is there a way to check with them as whether the PR card is delivered or undelivered?
How were you able to send information for them to verify?

d3ftar

Mar 19, 2021
Hi, I am facing similar issue.

How did you get email from IRCC regarding the undeliverable PR card, Is there a way to check with them as whether the PR card is delivered or undelivered?
How were you able to send information for them to verify?
I had raised a request via web form a few weeks ago and asked for an update on the PR Card. They responded back a few days ago with the update. Linking the PR Card application in the IRCC account can also help you get an estimate of when the PR Card was actually approved. I landed on Sep 12 but the Card was approved on Nov 30.

May 6, 2023
Hello everyone. First time poster here. I am going to do my soft landing in Vancouver in about 2 weeks as my CoPR expires in late June.

I am flying from Asia through Vancouver to Toronto. The landing is at 7am and connection to Toronto is at 9am. So the landing interview will happen at Vancouver. Both flights are with the same airline.

Has anyone done soft landing at Vancouver Intl Airport recently? And is 2hrs sufficient for clearing the procedure AND connecting to the next flight? Any advice is much appreciated!

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello everyone. First time poster here. I am going to do my soft landing in Vancouver in about 2 weeks as my CoPR expires in late June.

I am flying from Asia through Vancouver to Toronto. The landing is at 7am and connection to Toronto is at 9am. So the landing interview will happen at Vancouver. Both flights are with the same airline.

Has anyone done soft landing at Vancouver Intl Airport recently? And is 2hrs sufficient for clearing the procedure AND connecting to the next flight? Any advice is much appreciated!
Here's one post from another user who landed recently, but these times are anecdotal: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-experience-vancouver-yvr-april-2023.796188/post-10449212

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020
Hi,

Here is a bit about our experience landing as PRs in Toronto on our way to Halifax, NS (Provincial nomination).

My wife and I flew in from the Dominican Republic with Air Canada Rouge. At the check-in, an airline employee took all our documents and got in touch with the Canadian embassy. She also asked us to fill in some sort of prearrival form for Canadian authorities.

We landed at Toronto International Airport around 6pm. We filled in the custom declaration at the kiosk, then moved on to passport control, where a lady simply asked us how much cash we had and whether we were here to land as immigrants. She sent us to a separate room where we were the only people waiting.

The immigration officer called us, took the CoPRs and the passports, asked me how much money more or less we were bringing (but did not ask to see any PoF documents), signed the CoPR, stamped the passports, gave some info about how to update the address to receive the PR card (4 months waiting time) and we were done. I don't think that the whole process lasted more than 15 minutes.

At customs, we gave the import form with the list of accompanying items. The officer stamped it and asked if we had goods to follow, which we had not, and that was it.

There is a Service Canada branch in the luggage claim area, but it was closed as we landed on Victoria Day.

The airport has a nice rest area (Lounge 15) that stays open through the night and that's where we settled to wait for our connecting flight the next morning atd 7am.

When we, sat down and took a look at our signed CoPRs, we reminded ourselves that now the easy part was over and we were about to enter into the fun bit: starting a new life ;-)

Last edited:

Daren2023

Jan 20, 2023
Category........
FSW
Hi,

Here is a bit about our experience landing as PRs in Toronto on our way to Halifax, NS (Provincial nomination).

My wife and I flew in from the Dominican Republic with Air Canada Rouge. At the check-in, an airline employee took all our documents and got in touch with the Canadian embassy. She also asked us to fill in some sort of prearrival form for Canadian authorities.

We landed at Toronto International Airport around 6pm. We filled in the custom declaration at the kiosk, then moved on to passport control, where a lady simply asked us how much cash we had and whether we were here to land as immigrants. She sent us to a separate room where we were the only people waiting.

The immigration officer called us, took the CoPRs and the passports, asked me how much money more or less we were bringing (but did not ask to see any PoF documents), signed the CoPR, stamped the passports, gave some info about how to update the address to receive the PR card (4 months waiting time) and we were done. I don't think that the whole process lasted more than 15 minutes.

At customs, we gave the import form with the list of accompanying items. The officer stamped it and asked if we had goods to follow, which we had not, and that was it.

There is a Service Canada branch in the luggage claim area, but it was closed as we landed on Victoria Day.

The airport has a nice rest area (Lounge 15) that stays open through the night and that's where we settled to wait for our connecting
Thank you for the information! I plan to land at Pearson airport next weekend. I hope it goes well for me too :cool:

Reactions: sgoldsmith

Daren2023

Jan 20, 2023
Category........
FSW
Does anyone know if I have to declare my phone and laptop at customs when I land? Not sure if they are too small to declare and I don’t want to look stupid :eek:. I have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone and together they are probably worth 3-4k CAD.
I have travelled with them to other countries before and I have never declared them before but now that I am moving to Canada I don’t know if they would be treated differently. I read online that you can bring in items worth 800 CAD total without declaring and my items are worth more than that :eek:

Last edited: