+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR landing completed at Peace Arch border, no quarantine and returned to US using AVR

Roshwarner

Jul 6, 2020
7/13/2020

Thank you for contacting U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

United States, Canada and Mexico are temporarily restricting all non-essential travel across its land borders. “Non-essential” travel includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature. These border restrictions affect land travel only They do not affect travelers entering by air, freight rail, or sea.

Non-Essential Travel will remain in effect until July 21, 2020.

s: work and study, critical infrTravelers with essential purposes can continue to cross the land border and will be exempt from a self-isolation requirement. Essential Travel is classified as: structure support, economic services and supply chains, shopping for essential goods (medications and other necessary health and safety items), health, immediate medical care, safety and security.

Automatic revalidation is not the same as applying for a new visa. You cannot take advantage of automatic revalidation if you have applied for a new nonimmigrant visa.

Certain temporary visitors holding expired nonimmigrant visas who want to re-enter the United States may be admissible under, but not limited, to the following circumstances:

• Departed the United States for brief travel to Canada or Mexico of 30 days or less
• Has a valid (unexpired) admission stamp or paper Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record endorsed by DHS

A person is eligible for automatic visa revalidation with the following conditions:

• Nonimmigrant status continues to be valid (such as the Form I-129 for nonimmigrant workers)
• Absence from the United States was 30 days or less
• Did not visit any country other than Mexico or Canada during those 30 days or less
• Does not have a pending (or rejected) application for a new visa
• It is not possible to renew a nonimmigrant visa within the United States. A person on a nonimmigrant visa may travel to another country to apply for a new visa. Entry to the United States is not allowable until the new visa is issued
• The person is not a citizen of one of the countries designated by the United States as a state sponsor of terrorism
• As of 2017, the State Sponsor of Terrorism list includes four countries:
• Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) - designated on November 20, 2017
• Iran - designated on January 19, 1984
• Syria - designated on August 12, 1993
• Sudan - designated on December 29, 1979
• Cuba was removed from this list on April 4, 2015

The automatic revalidation provision of United States immigration law is described under the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) in both 8 CFR 214.1(b) and 22 CFR 112(d).

Additional Information:
https://mx.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

Thank you again for contacting our office.

NOTE: The answers provided in this forum are for general information purposes only. Utilizing this forum does not constitute reasonable care under the Informed Compliance guidelines.

The CBP Information Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Eastern Time. We are closed on Federal holidays. Our toll free line within the United States is (877) 227-5511. International callers can reach us during our hours of operation by dialing 00+1+202-325-8000.
Thank you.

Shahbaz12

Jul 24, 2019
Hi all just wanted to update you that I have completed my soft landing at peach arch and was able to successfully return back the same day to USA using AVR. I was allowed to take a u turn to USA border without staying 14 days quarantine. Hope this helps to other folks who want to travel...

fwscu

Feb 28, 2020
Hi all just wanted to update you that I have completed my soft landing at peach arch and was able to successfully return back the same day to USA using AVR. I was allowed to take a u turn to USA border without staying 14 days quarantine. Hope this helps to other folks who want to travel...
Interesting! I thought, with the new rulings, they would not allow "soft landing" from US to Canada. So that only permanent move/settlement is permitted. Looks like "soft landing/U-turn" is still doable.

pp90032

Jul 16, 2020
Looks like soft landing and returning back to USA is not an option anymore? From their website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html
If you’re outside Canada
If you come to Canada, make sure you’re exempt from the travel restrictions. You won’t be allowed to enter Canada right now if you’re travelling for reasons like:

• tourism
  • recreation
  • entertainment
  • to finalize your permanent residence application but not settle here yet
These are not valid reasons to come to Canada right now.
So ppl who have got their CoPR after March 18th and not completed travel, can no longer complete the process and come back?

Roshwarner

Jul 6, 2020
Hello, I wanted to give you an update that I was successfully able to come back to the US using AVR. I had expired F1 visa and approved I797/I94 for H1b.

Landing in Canada: June 30, Toronto Pearson (Air Canada)
I was in quarantine for 14 days.

Re-entry into the US: July 20 Toronto Pearson
I booked air canada and the staff was trained. She gave me a boarding pass using information on my I797/I94

Next at CBP booth, the asked my arrival date in canada, my occupation. Then sent me to secondary inspection. There, I was asked my current address in the US, my job, company, company address. It was smooth. Also they advised me to carry original I797/I94 always (which I already had). Then they let me go.

Thank you everyone for your help! Special thanks to @harirajmohan.

Happy to answer any questions!

Roshwarner

Jul 6, 2020
Congratulations!!!!! I know you were super stressed (as I am currently) so I'm extra happy for you!

What questions did they ask about your job?
Thank you, they asked what I did, where is the company, what is the company? Just basic questions.

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018
Hello, I wanted to give you an update that I was successfully able to come back to the US using AVR. I had expired F1 visa and approved I797/I94 for H1b.

I booked air canada and the staff was trained. She gave me a boarding pass using information on my I797/I94

Next at CBP booth, the asked my arrival date in canada, my occupation. Then sent me to secondary inspection. There, I was asked my current address in the US, my job, company, company address. It was smooth. Also they advised me to carry original I797/I94 always (which I already had). Then they let me go.

Congratulations

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018

Did officer at Canada border asked anything about final destination quarantine?

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018
Yesterday I completed landing and now in quarantine for 2 weeks....Can I apply for sin now and give US address proof?? Can I answer this question "Is the Applicant Currently Residing in Canada? (required)" as "No" because after 2 weeks I will go back to USA???
Hi, can you share your experience of returning back to USA. Also were you able to apply for the SIN number?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would warn people, especially those flying, that Canada has realized that many people are doimg soft landings and there seems to be more questionning going on. Not surprising since many planes as well as those arriving from the US have brought in covid.

naiyagupta

Jul 25, 2020
Hello Everyone,

My CoPR is expiring in September. I am planning to go to Canada border through Niagara Falls, complete the PR process and come back the same day. Basically, I wont enter Canada, so wont be required to quarantine. One of my friend did the same thing. My friend mentioned that the officer said that since they dont have physical address in Canada, they cannot apply for PR card at this point of time. They might do online or when they actually come to Canada. I want to know about the PR card process before going for soft landing. Anyone had similar experience?
If I go to Toronto airport, complete soft landing process and return to USA same day. I will not go outside the Toronto airport, will I be required to quarantine in Canada? Are flights operating between USA and Canada now?
Also, my H-1b stamping is valid till next year but I changed employment and stamping is of previous employer. Will this be a problem while entering back USA by air or land?

Last edited:

Harigalent

Mar 28, 2019
Hello guys
I have a stamped h1b & my spouse with stamped h4.

1. My spouse is the only PR applicant & have copr approved march 5th, 2020. Can she take peace arch crossing & do an u turn with H4 stamped visa? In other words, can she still use peace arch crossing with visa stamped?

2. Is that hard to convince the canada border officials that we will take an U turn to usa & just came in for copr stamp?

3. I have canada visitor visa. Can i travel with her in the car to peace arch crossing & do an u turn? Will canada official stop me because of non essential travel & not a part of PR application?

Please help :(

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Hello guys
I have a stamped h1b & my spouse with stamped h4.

1. My spouse is the only PR applicant & have copr approved march 5th, 2020. Can she take peace arch crossing & do an u turn with H4 stamped visa? In other words, can she still use peace arch crossing with visa stamped?

2. Is that hard to convince the canada border officials that we will take an U turn to usa & just came in for copr stamp?

3. I have canada visitor visa. Can i travel with her in the car to peace arch crossing & do an u turn? Will canada official stop me because of non essential travel & not a part of PR application?

Please help :(
Yes, soft landing is not part of essential travel anymore. I am afraid you will be turned away and no visitors are allowed unless you have immediate family already in Canada.