+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR landing completed at Peace Arch border, no quarantine and returned to US using AVR

Roshwarner

Jul 6, 2020
Can AVR be used if I have an expired F-1 stamp and my current status in the US is H1b? I have approved I797 and valid I94. The change of status was done within the US

vinayreddy

Star Member
Nov 10, 2019
Good to know AOR is overriding recent EO and happy for people who are doing canada PR landing and coming back to US with valid H1B I797.

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Hi,

I am still figuring out which will be the rite way to commute. Looking at the response on this forum people have returned by using land route. I have not heard anything about commute through air. Being a SINP candidate not sure if it is rite to land in toronto by road. Dint came across any such experience. Please suggest if you have any updates.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-soft-landing-from-us-after-eo.693114/
Got one successfully AVR by air travel today. Check it out. might help you.

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Does anyone have a recent soft landing experience via land at the Peace Bridge border near Niagra falls/ Buffalo after the US immigration executive order with COPR approved after March 18th and who utilized the AVR facility to return to US.

My wife and I have our COPRs expiring end of August (April 2020 approved) and we are looking to do our soft landing near middle August this via land at the Buffalo/ Canada border. My H1B stamp is expired but I have a valid I797 (with valid I-94) and I am planning to return via the AVR option. Lastly, I would prefer not to quarantine for 14 days if possible and return to US immediately after. Looking to hear some positive experiences so I can take the plunge a bit more confidently.
I would be mostly doing my soft landing around the same time via Toronto.

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
Don't bother to do this as service Canada offices are closed and you can also apply SIN number online from US giving US address proofs and get mails directly to US address
How long does the SIN take to get approved and start work?

Jvemuri

Jul 30, 2018
Does anyone have a recent soft landing experience via land at the Peace Bridge border near Niagra falls/ Buffalo after the US immigration executive order with COPR approved after March 18th and who utilized the AVR facility to return to US.

My wife and I have our COPRs expiring end of August (April 2020 approved) and we are looking to do our soft landing near middle August this via land at the Buffalo/ Canada border. My H1B stamp is expired but I have a valid I797 (with valid I-94) and I am planning to return via the AVR option. Lastly, I would prefer not to quarantine for 14 days if possible and return to US immediately after. Looking to hear some positive experiences so I can take the plunge a bit more confidently.
I am on the same boat, please let me know if Ambassador bridge at Detroit/Windsor border is allowing thsi too

Reactions: traveller23k

fwscu

Feb 28, 2020
Looks like, with the new rules, flagpoling "landing and retuning immediately to US" is not allowed. I booked flights to Seattle and car rental few days ago and planned to drive to border and return without quarantine. I do not know if I should cancel or reschedule my flights.

fwscu

Feb 28, 2020
Flagpoling was never openly allowed and was only granted by discretion. You should call CBSA
I called CBSA on Tuesday and was told that flagpoling is doable. However, with the new rules, I'm not sure if I can still pass border and return without quaratine.

Roshwarner

Jul 6, 2020
July 25th. I'm not sure if I should do it or just reschedule/cancel them.
Hello, can someone tell me how is the AVR process traveling with Air Canada to US? I will be taking the flight from Toronto Pearson Airport. Also, I’m already in Canada, is the AVR still a safe option going back to the US in the next 10 days? I have an expired F1 visa and my current status in the US is H1b. Both I797 and I 94 valid for the next two years. Appreciate all the response, thank you.

Roshwarner

Jul 6, 2020
Take an AVR handout with you. If the airline staff at the desk won't issue you a boarding pass, ask them to call a senior person at CBP.
Thanks for your response. Quick question.

1. Do you think AVR will still be applicable for the next 10 days? Like there won’t be any changes to it right?

2. What if the senior CBP officer isn’t available for the Air Canada staff to talk to? What can I do then?

Roshwarner

Jul 6, 2020
So I just spoke to the CBP officer at the Toronto Pearson airport, he said AVR is only applicable if the change of status from F1 to H1b happened outside the US. And since my status changed from within the US, I can’t use AVR and can’t come back to the US.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
So I just spoke to the CBP officer at the Toronto Pearson airport, he said AVR is only applicable if the change of status from F1 to H1b happened outside the US. And since my status changed from within the US, I can’t use AVR and can’t come back to the US.
buddy, all the officers dont know all rules and they dont really listen to the case scenario fully before they answer as answering phone doesnt given them any problem unless dealing with the actual candidate at the booth.
100z of people are travelling and used AVR. As members here already confirmed and still you seem not be convinced. If you are still concerned, try to get lawyer consultation for 30 mins call and get confirmation.

Call at different time and different post and you would get different answer than this.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1218?language=en_US