+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR for minor child

art0821

Oct 22, 2012
My daughter is a US citizen. I divorced my daughter's father and have re-married a Canadian citizen. My PR application is in process, but her father refuses to consent her paperwork for PR. Is there any way around this?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to immigrate to Canada with your child and the father refuses to co-operate, the only other way is that you have full custody of your child in which case you do not need his approval any more.

art0821

Oct 22, 2012
So what happens when I become a PR and my daughter does not? Will she be allowed to stay in Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a US citizen, she will be allowed to visit for up to 6 months at a time and she will not have access to health care. If you try to enroll her in school, you might be allowed to, depending on the school board where you are. If you have shared custody or joint custody with your husband, you may have to look into if you are actually allowed to move out of the state with your daughter.

art0821

Oct 22, 2012
How can you stop a PR application that's in process but is in the middle of a custody battle- where the father is not consenting for the minor's PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
art0821 said:
How can you stop a PR application that's in process but is in the middle of a custody battle- where the father is not consenting for the minor's PR?
Withdraw the application.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can either withdraw the application or you can change your daughters status to not accompanying. The latter would still allow you to get your PR and keep your option open to sponsor your daughter later.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, he can not withdraw it but immigration will not complete processing your application without asking for his approval or proof that you have full custody.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
You can either withdraw the application or you can change your daughters status to not accompanying. The latter would still allow you to get your PR and keep your option open to sponsor your daughter later.
Not if the daughter doesn't have the medical, no medical, no sponsorship of her in the future under family class.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Not if the daughter doesn't have the medical, no medical, no sponsorship of her in the future under family class.
I don't think you have to worry about her forgetting the medical for her child. Immigration will not allow her to immigrate without her child getting the medical anyway.

art0821

Oct 22, 2012
what do you mean- Immigration will not allow her to immigrate without her child getting the medical anyway? what happens to m and my childs status in Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
art0821 said:
what do you mean- Immigration will not allow her to immigrate without her child getting the medical anyway? what happens to m and my childs status in Canada?
What PMM is referring to is that if you are applying for PR, you are required to do a medical examination yourself as well as for your child, whether your child is accompanying you or not. The medicals are necessary to get PR. You can not get PR without doing them. Same with your child, if you list your child as not accompanying because of your problems with the child's father, your child still has to get the medical. Without getting it, your PR application would not get processed because immigration would remind you that your file in incomplete because they are missing the medicals for your child. The medicals for a non accompanying child will keep the option open to sponsor the child later.