+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR EXPIRY

amar8580

Jan 3, 2010
hi all
i have a question. i am currently in india. i did my landing formality for PR, got my card and left. my PR card expires in august 2021. is it mandatory to stay 2 years out of 5 years (no exceptions). what if i stay 1 year out of 5, can i renew my PR card when expired.
if the answer is NO, then for eg: if i get a job in 2020 in canada and start working and upon renewal they refuse my extension, does that mean i will have to leave my job and move back to india.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So first the residency obligation is 2 years out of 5 years from the date you landed no exceptions which based on your PR card expiry I guess was about June 2016 give or take a month. PR card expiry is irrelevant to the residency obligation.

So from say June 2016 through say June 2021 you must accumulate a minimum of 730 days in Canada. If you do not then the next time you enter the country having not met residency you could get reported and the process to revoke your PR status will start.

You can only renew your card from inside Canada so if you manage to enter and not get reported it is not advisable to try renewing until you get to 730 days else even by renewing with less days residency that also could result in the revoke process.

There is no real need to renew a card until you meet the residency obligation, some people never renew until the time they need to in order to travel.

So if you manage to return say in 6/2020 without being reported get a job then assuming you have zero residency credit you would need to stay put until 6/2022 before attempting to renew your PR card. Basically keep a low profile as far as immigration are concerned.

New immigrants are generally advised to only stay away a maximum of 3 years from date of landing, any more than that then the odds of PR status being revoked the next time entering the country increase for every day over.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also if you stay out of Canada for 3 years then you should plan on not leaving Canada for 2 straight years or you would not meet your RO. You should plan on coming back before 3 years in case of family emergency or vacation.