+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Timeline (Airport landing or physical Flagpole ONLY) 2022

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
they only asked if I was married or if I had ever been convicted of a crime and then proceeded to ask about the address to send the card. It was all really quick.
They didn’t ask me for proof of funds. They may simply ask if you have over 10,000 with you at the moment, but that’s standard even for when one travels as a tourist. But they didn’t ask for proof of funds per se.
No need to carry physical cash.
Outside of the airport, I had to go and get my social insurance number at any Service Canada Centre
Oh okay thanks, yes it's standard that they ask about the funds and the answer to that is no ( correct?) because you shouldn't have more than 10,000 with you because I know you are not allowed to carry more than that across borders otherwise you would have to declare it. Okay, I will not worry too much about this then.

So with regards to service Canada what do you do to get your SIN and how long does that process take? would you need your PR Card or just your COPR?

PlUrb

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Oh okay thanks, yes it's standard that they ask about the funds and the answer to that is no ( correct?) because you shouldn't have more than 10,000 with you because I know you are not allowed to carry more than that across borders otherwise you would have to declare it. Okay, I will not worry too much about this then.

So with regards to service Canada what do you do to get your SIN and how long does that process take? would you need your PR Card or just your COPR?
It depends on the time that you arrive in canada. You may be able to get your SIN number at the time of arrival at the airpot. I arrived late at night, so I could not get my SIN at the airport. All you need is your passport and copr to get your SIN. I had to wait in line for 5 hours to get my SIN. you get it the same day. They just print it out in the moment.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

I think proof of fund only apply to certain stream of immigration. I do not have the experience of that. And from what I've seen, usually the proof is in printed out statements and not in cash.

Reactions: dreams2020

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
1. Don't know. Definitely an address that doesn't seem like a physical address. But truth is, from reports, some seem to care and some not.
2. Varies. Often (it seems) they just want to check all the info on COPR is correct.
3. No experience with this.
4. Nowadays no.
5. It does make sense to get SIN number, whether at airport (not all airports at all time you can do this). Do not get health number until you move permanently. You may/will find it helpful to get a basic bank account.

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
Okay makes sense thank you very much. I already have a Canadian bank account so that should be helpful. Quick question ...what's your reason for suggesting not to get a health card?

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
It depends on the time that you arrive in Canada. You may be able to get your SIN number at the time of arrival at the airport. I arrived late at night, so I could not get my SIN at the airport. All you need is your passport and copr to get your SIN. I had to wait in line for 5 hours to get my SIN. you get it the same day. They just print it out in the moment.
wow, 5 hours! that's crazy! maybe I will try to book a flight that arrives in the morning so hopefully, I can get lucky and be able to get it at the airport. Otherwise service Canada it is.

Which airport did you land at? I will be landing at Pearson airport in Toronto. Also, did you have to do a covid test when coming to Canada and did you have to quarantine?

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
I think proof of fund only apply to certain stream of immigration. I do not have the experience of that. And from what I've seen, usually the proof is in printed out statements and not in cash.
Thanks for the response, Yes, I was told that it's for the FSW stream which is what I am under. I also don't think it's cash like everyone is saying. They may not ask it just depends but if they do I would expect them to ask for a printed statement. Do you have any idea if one could get a SIN at the Pearson airport in Toronto?

kafepoche

Sep 30, 2021
Thanks for the response, Yes, I was told that it's for the FSW stream which is what I am under. I also don't think it's cash like everyone is saying. They may not ask it just depends but if they do I would expect them to ask for a printed statement. Do you have any idea if one could get a SIN at the Pearson airport in Toronto?
there is a service canada booth at pearson airport and usually very long line-up. unless you need SIN immediately i strongly suggest you go to another service canada office. get some rest after the flight and landing, do some search online and book another office close to where you live. usually you'll get a SIN printout on site.
As for the proof of funds requirement, it has recently been revised for FSW stream, post in relevant subforum you'll get better answer. this is family sponsorship and usually ppl don't need to show POF.

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Okay makes sense thank you very much. I already have a Canadian bank account so that should be helpful. Quick question ...what's your reason for suggesting not to get a health card?
If you're not a resident, you're not eligible. Getting one and not residing in Canada might actually cause you more trouble - whereas not getting one is perfectly fine.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
there is a service canada booth at pearson airport and usually very long line-up. unless you need SIN immediately i strongly suggest you go to another service canada office. get some rest after the flight and landing, do some search online and book another office close to where you live. usually you'll get a SIN printout on site.
You can also apply for sin online, it'll be sent by mail 2-3 weeks later.

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
As for the proof of funds requirement, it has recently been revised for FSW stream, post in relevant subforum you'll get better answer. this is family sponsorship and usually ppl don't need to show POF.
Oh so sorry I didn't know this was family sponsorship .....I appreciate your response I will check with other forums and seek further advice with regards to the proof of funds for FSW. I will ask a friend for a service Canada nearby. Thank you!

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
If you're not a resident, you're not eligible. Getting one and not residing in Canada might actually cause you more trouble - whereas not getting one is perfectly fine.
Okay noted never knew that. I shall try to get that when I move officially, thank you much appreciated!

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
I will be sure to have a bank statement ready in case.