+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Timeline (Airport landing or physical Flagpole ONLY) 2022

ratsalad

May 1, 2019
The US border crossing is an option but not always practical because it requires crossing on foot or in a private car. Not by public transportation.

Anyway. I just received update on my gckey that pr card has been mailed out. Thankful.

21 March landed yvr.
11 May card mailed.

Reactions: RguhsDUDE and PlUrb

PlUrb

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Hi guys, one question.

I already completed the landing at YVR april 19th but had to leave as I still have some matters back at home. still waiting for my pr card. Do ya'll think it would be too much of a risk to travel to canada directly to YVR. I'm from a visa exempt country, so getting on an airplane to Canada is not an issue, I wonder if there would be an issue with the border officers at the airport? I know I could go to the states and drive across the border with my COPR, but I would really prefer to avoid all of that hassle of going to Seattle, renting a vehicle etc. What are your thoughts ?

RguhsDUDE

Star Member
Apr 26, 2015
Hi guys, one question.

I already completed the landing at YVR april 19th but had to leave as I still have some matters back at home. still waiting for my pr card. Do ya'll think it would be too much of a risk to travel to canada directly to YVR. I'm from a visa exempt country, so getting on an airplane to Canada is not an issue, I wonder if there would be an issue with the border officers at the airport? I know I could go to the states and drive across the border with my COPR, but I would really prefer to avoid all of that hassle of going to Seattle, renting a vehicle etc. What are your thoughts ?
Coming back to YVR should be not an issue if you have your Passport + COPR. You can always explain your emergency and they will have to take your words for it. I personally think they have no valid reason to refuse entry to Canada. Good luck with your travel!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Coming back to YVR should be not an issue if you have your Passport + COPR. You can always explain your emergency and they will have to take your words for it. I personally think they have no valid reason to refuse entry to Canada. Good luck with your travel!
In general (assuming that you mean the airport when you use YVR) airline will not let anyone to board the flight without PRTD once someone has landed as a PR in Canada. (unless you are American, then it's different) If the system is updated properly, your eTA would be cancelled once you have landed as a PR. (some were "lucky" and were able to travel back.. but it depends on your luck)

passport + COPR will only work for landborder. (i.e. Blaine, Pacific crossing...etc)

PlUrb

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
In general (assuming that you mean the airport when you use YVR) airline will not let anyone to board the flight without PRTD once someone has landed as a PR in Canada. (unless you are American, then it's different) If the system is updated properly, your eTA would be cancelled once you have landed as a PR. (some were "lucky" and were able to travel back.. but it depends on your luck)

passport + COPR will only work for landborder. (i.e. Blaine, Pacific crossing...etc)

yeah, I think I'm just going to instead fly into Seattle, then rent a vehicle in Seattle and drive it all the way to Vancouver.

PlUrb

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
The US border crossing is an option but not always practical because it requires crossing on foot or in a private car. Not by public transportation.

Anyway. I just received update on my gckey that pr card has been mailed out. Thankful.

21 March landed yvr.
11 May card mailed.
Did you get your card in the mail yet ?

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
Hello everyone,

So today I received my COPR document but sadly it is VALID ONLY FROM MAY 12 2022 - JUNE 14 2022 AND MEDICALS ALSO EXPIRE JUNE 14 2022 ( despite being extended to June 22, 2021). I desperately need some advice because the COPR and Visa were completed on the 12th and they never emailed me until the 17th ( after 5 emails I sent them that week) and with delivery, it still took 12 days away from the very little time that I have. I have legal contracts from my job and a lease that I can't just suddenly get out of and I have travel arrangements to England next month as well. It's also going to be at such a great expense having to accommodate moving my entire life back to Canada in 3 weeks. I am literally having a panic attack because I don’t know what I am going to do with my job my lease. I cannot imagine going through this whole process again.

I was wondering if I can come to Canada for a week and go back and have my best friend DHL me my card once it's ready. I am only planning on moving to Canada in January.

PlUrb

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Hi all,

I have the same question as an earlier post I wrote except there's one more thing and hoping someone can shed a light on this.
I already landed in Canada in early april of this year, but as mentioned previously I had to come back to my homecountry to close up some matters. Now, a job opportunity has since shown and I may have an interview soon in Vancouver. Since I do not have my PR card yet, my plan is to fly into Seattle and rent a vehicle to cross the border all the way to Vancouver. However, the quote for renting a vehicle from Seattle to Vancouver is close to $400 USD. I do not want to cough up that much cash just to rent a vehicle, when the price of a bus ticket is around $40 USD. I know that a PRTD is needed for commercial modes of transportation, but from what I am understanding it is that commercial modes want you to have a PRTD before allowing you to board, but it does not say anything about whether or not Canadian border services cannot allow to enter once at the port of entry and you show them your already active COPR, passport and other supporting documents. Am I correct in my thinking? I'm thinking of simply taking a bus from seattle since the bus line does not really check if you have travel documents, except for your passport sometimes, plus i'm from a visa exempt country. What do you guys think?

PlUrb

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Hello everyone,

So today I received my COPR document but sadly it is VALID ONLY FROM MAY 12 2022 - JUNE 14 2022 AND MEDICALS ALSO EXPIRE JUNE 14 2022 ( despite being extended to June 22, 2021). I desperately need some advice because the COPR and Visa were completed on the 12th and they never emailed me until the 17th ( after 5 emails I sent them that week) and with delivery, it still took 12 days away from the very little time that I have. I have legal contracts from my job and a lease that I can't just suddenly get out of and I have travel arrangements to England next month as well. It's also going to be at such a great expense having to accommodate moving my entire life back to Canada in 3 weeks. I am literally having a panic attack because I don’t know what I am going to do with my job my lease. I cannot imagine going through this whole process again.

I was wondering if I can come to Canada for a week and go back and have my best friend DHL me my card once it's ready. I am only planning on moving to Canada in January.
I did just that. I was in canada in april and i'm having one of my good friends dhl me the card once it arrives to his place; however, i may have to arrive sooner in canada, so my plan is to fly into the US and then drive across the border to canada.

Reactions: dreams2020

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
yes, although it's not guaranteed that CBSA will agree to send pR card, and PRTD processing can be a bit unpredictable.

That said, prbably more likely to work than not? Only a guess

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
but it does not say anything about whether or not Canadian border services cannot allow to enter once at the port of entry and you show them your already active COPR, passport and other supporting documents. Am I correct in my thinking? I'm thinking of simply taking a bus from seattle since the bus line does not really check if you have travel documents, except for your passport sometimes, plus i'm from a visa exempt country. What do you guys think?
CBSA will let you in. Bus is dependent on the bus company.

Worst case, you get out nearest the border and hoof it or taxi/taxi to nearest border.

Reactions: PlUrb

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
I did just that. I was in Canada in April and I'm having one of my good friends DHL me the card once it arrives to his place; however, i may have to arrive sooner in Canada, so my plan is to fly into the US and then drive across the border to Canada.
Hey, thanks for your response really appreciate it. So all one would need to do is go through the airport. few questions sorry.

1. So what do they ask you at the airport besides an address to send the card?
2. I am confused about the proof of funds, how much do I need to have with me because now i have to buy an expensive ticket and all.
3. do I have to carry physical cash and show them? do they even ask about it at all?
4. Also, there is nothing that you really have to do outside of the airport correct?

My plan is to come for a few days just to make that expensive ticket worthwhile and then fly to England which I already had a trip scheduled for and fly back in January once I have sorted my life out.

dreams2020

Nov 22, 2019
yes, although it's not guaranteed that CBSA will agree to send PR card, and PRTD processing can be a bit unpredictable.

That said, probably more likely to work than not? Only a guess
Thanks for responding. So I will be arriving at Pearson airport in Toronto staying with a friend for a week and then going back. hopefully, by then the card application would have been initiated and linked to my GCKey account. I am aware that it takes up to 3 months to receive the PR card.

I would also like some insight on the following questions please assist if possible

1. what would make a CBSA to not agree to send the card to my address at the airport port of entry?
2) So what do they ask you at the airport besides your home address in Canada to send the card?
3) I am confused about the proof of funds, how much do I need to have with me because I would have to buy a ticket which will reduce my settlement funds.
4) Do I have to carry physical cash and show them? do they even ask about it at all?
5) Also, there is nothing ( i.e formality at service Canada) that you really have to do outside of the airport correct

Thank you,

PlUrb

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Hey, thanks for your response really appreciate it. So all one would need to do is go through the airport. few questions sorry.

1. So what do they ask you at the airport besides an address to send the card?
2. I am confused about the proof of funds, how much do I need to have with me because now i have to buy an expensive ticket and all.
3. do I have to carry physical cash and show them? do they even ask about it at all?
4. Also, there is nothing that you really have to do outside of the airport correct?

My plan is to come for a few days just to make that expensive ticket worthwhile and then fly to England which I already had a trip scheduled for and fly back in January once I have sorted my life out.
they only asked if I was married or if I had ever been convicted of a crime and then proceeded to ask about the address to send the card. It was all really quick.
They didn’t ask me for proof of funds. They may simply ask if you have over 10,000 with you at the moment, but that’s standard even for when one travels as a tourist. But they didn’t ask for proof of funds per se.
No need to carry physical cash.
Outside of the airport I had to go and get my social insurance number at any Service Canada Centre

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for responding. So I will be arriving at Pearson airport in Toronto staying with a friend for a week and then going back. hopefully, by then the card application would have been initiated and linked to my GCKey account. I am aware that it takes up to 3 months to receive the PR card.

I would also like some insight on the following questions please assist if possible

1. what would make a CBSA to not agree to send the card to my address at the airport port of entry?
2) So what do they ask you at the airport besides your home address in Canada to send the card?
3) I am confused about the proof of funds, how much do I need to have with me because I would have to buy a ticket which will reduce my settlement funds.
4) Do I have to carry physical cash and show them? do they even ask about it at all?
5) Also, there is nothing ( i.e formality at service Canada) that you really have to do outside of the airport correct

Thank you,
1. Don't know. Definitely an address that doesn't seem like a physical address. But truth is, from reports, some seem to care and some not.
2. Varies. Often (it seems) they just want to check all the info on COPR is correct.
3. No experience with this.
4. Nowadays no.
5. It does make sense to get SIN number, whether at airport (not all airports at all time you can do this). Do not get health number until you move permanently. You may/will find it helpful to get a basic bank account.