+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewed for 1 year

smoiz

Jul 18, 2009
Hi,

I recently renewed PRC of my wife and son, PRC of my wife was renewed for 1 year while my son PRC was renewed for 5 years.

Is one year PRC a matter of concern for any reason or is it normal?

We will qualify for citizenship next year, and do we need to have an valid PR for applying for citizenship?

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

I recently renewed PRC of my wife and son, PRC of my wife was renewed for 1 year while my son PRC was renewed for 5 years.

Is one year PRC a matter of concern for any reason or is it normal?

We will qualify for citizenship next year, and do we need to have an valid PR for applying for citizenship?

Thanks
Yes, it's a concern. They only issue 1 year cards if the Residency Obligation requirements have not been met and the PR status is being revoked, subject to appeal. You should immediately contact IRCC to find out what is going on.

smoiz

Jul 18, 2009
Yes, it's a concern. They only issue 1 year cards if the Residency Obligation requirements have not been met and the PR status is being revoked, subject to appeal. You should immediately contact IRCC to find out what is going on.
I'm trying to contact them +1 888 242 2100 - but i cannot reach to support desk staff. Is there any alternate option?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Did your wife meet the residency obligation (730 days in the most recent five years) when she applied to renew?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but 737 days is cutting it fine so would have expected IRCC to ask some questions and may be behind reason . Have you checked email spam folder etc to see if you missed any correspondance

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
She was In Canada for 737 Days.
That's cutting it close. It's possible that IRCC’s concerned about the accuracy of the information you provided to them and are reviewing it.
Keep trying to contact IRCC’s Call Centre. You can also use the IRCC’s Web Form to reach them but this may not be very fast.

smoiz

Jul 18, 2009
That's cutting it close. It's possible that IRCC’s concerned about the accuracy of the information you provided to them and are reviewing it.
Keep trying to contact IRCC’s Call Centre. You can also use the IRCC’s Web Form to reach them but this may not be very fast.
I submitted an inquiry through web form and on call with them right now, waiting in queue.

smoiz

Jul 18, 2009
If she intends to travel abroad on this 1 year PR Card, do we need to apply for PRTD. below link is suggesting
Spoke to CIC support staff, PR card for 1 year is issued for cases where residency obligation need to be verified. In case of any adverse decision they will inform the reason as a letter with mail that sent is with PR card.

In my wife's case we received the mail PR card with no such letter. There was letter congratulating for new card and asked to keep track of visits outside canada.

I submitted an web inquiry, so I will wait for their response too.

Thanks

https://prcardcanada.ca/faqs/what-is-the-residency-determination/

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If she intends to travel abroad on this 1 year PR Card, do we need to apply for PRTD. below link is suggesting

Spoke to CIC support staff, PR card for 1 year is issued for cases where residency obligation need to be verified. In case of any adverse decision they will inform the reason as a letter with mail that sent is with PR card.

In my wife's case we received the mail PR card with no such letter. There was letter congratulating for new card and asked to keep track of visits outside canada.

I submitted an web inquiry, so I will wait for their response too.

Thanks

https://prcardcanada.ca/faqs/what-is-the-residency-determination/
No, a PRTD is not required as long as she has a valid PR card. Of course, if it expires while she is out of Canada, a PRTD will be needed.
I recommend that she not travel until this matter is resolved, especially as IRCC’s concerned that she may not be meeting the RO.

smoiz

Jul 18, 2009
No, a PRTD is not required as long as she has a valid PR card. Of course, if it expires while she is out of Canada, a PRTD will be needed.
I recommend that she not travel until this matter is resolved, especially as IRCC’s concerned that she may not be meeting the RO.
Our intention is to travel for summer break for two months only, by next year when this PR card is sent for renewal her RO will be better than this year.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Pretty sure that if they are investigating, the days in Canada now will not be eligible to be counted for renewal until IRCC comes up with their final determination.

smoiz

Jul 18, 2009
Pretty sure that if they are investigating, the days in Canada now will not be eligible to be counted for renewal until IRCC comes up with their final determination.
Yes, We will not be eligible to renewal till next year.