+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card renewal (online)-2022

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is any difference between online and postal applications for PR card renewal in terms of processing times?

Foodzilla

Oct 1, 2022
Hi
Can anyone elaborate on the supporting documents from Appendix A ? If we meet the RO, do we still need to upload supporting documents?
Also, I am facing issues with the gap in address history. There are no gaps but it still gives me that error?

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Was anyone able to log same day trips? The only portal will not let me add trips to the travel history with the same departure and arrival dates.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Was anyone able to log same day trips? The only portal will not let me add trips to the travel history with the same departure and arrival dates.
There's this (old post):
I did.

This is my reasoning (originally posted here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/days-outside-canada-for-pr-renewal-t282544.0.html;msg4313992#msg4313992 ):

"I included day trips in my application, since it is stated on IMM 5444E the following: "21. TRAVEL HISTORY: Have you travelled or lived outside of Canada in the last five (5) years (or if you became a permanent resident less than five (5) years ago, since becoming a permanent resident)? Include all absences (including those due to employment, vacations, trips to the United States and any other time you left Canada)"

And in the instruction guide: "Question 21
Your Travel History: You must list all your absences from Canada in the last five (5) years, or since becoming a permanent resident if less than five (5) years ago. Fill in the dates of the period that should be assessed.

Absences include vacations, absences due to employment, trips to the USA and any other time you left Canada." Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp

If you're unsure, I'd do as Leon said: write them a cover letter and explain it.

Since it was just a matter of hours, when entering manually the dates under "Number of days" I put 0."
And...there's this (not as old of a post):
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/day-trips-to-usa.698173/
(especially the last two posts in the thread)

And...one more with a different `opinion' (also an old post):

my friend is applying for renewal of the pr card for his parents and he contacted cic call centre and they said "day trips" are not required to be mentioned on the pr renewal application.
Problem with the later post is that the people that answer the phones at IRCC are not officers, or possibly not even agents; they are customer service people, probably in a huge room.

Your issue could be yet another glitch in the online system. When IRCC recently combined the two previous forms (PR card and PRTD applications into one, it created quite a few snags.

[Edit] maybe try downloading the IMM5444 form, open it with Adobe and see if you can enter single day trips, since it does calculate the days automatically. If it works there, it might mean that it is a problem on their end. *shrug*

Last edited:

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
There's this (old post):

And...there's this (not as old of a post):
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/day-trips-to-usa.698173/
(especially the last two posts in the thread)

And...one more with a different `opinion' (also an old post):

Problem with the later post is that the people that answer the phones at IRCC are not officers, or possibly not even agents; they are customer service people, probably in a huge room.

Your issue could be yet another glitch in the online system. When IRCC recently combined the two previous forms (PR card and PRTD applications into one, it created quite a few snags.

[Edit] maybe try downloading the IMM5444 form, open it with Adobe and see if you can enter single day trips, since it does calculate the days automatically. If it works there, it might mean that it is a problem on their end. *shrug*
I actually downloaded the form and tried in Adobe and it allowed me to enter same day trips. It must be a glitch.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I actually downloaded the form and tried in Adobe and it allowed me to enter same day trips. It must be a glitch.
:rolleyes: Not surprised. Based on that alone, you may be better off submitting a paper application, since you know the online one would not be completely accurate...especially since your wife doesn't really need the card anytime soon, right?

Tough call.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
:rolleyes: Not surprised. Based on that alone, you may be better off submitting a paper application, since you know the online one would not be completely accurate...especially since your wife doesn't really need the card anytime soon, right?

Tough call.
Her card does not expire until June 20th, 2023. I might end up submitting a paper application. I wanted to submit through the portal so we would be able to track the progress.

I love this forum, it helped us out big time with the PR application, but the more I read on here the more I overthink and convince myself this is complicated when it really isn't lol

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Her card does not expire until June 20th, 2023. I might end up submitting a paper application. I wanted to submit through the portal so we would be able to track the progress.

I love this forum, it helped us out big time with the PR application, but the more I read on here the more I overthink and convince myself this is complicated when it really isn't lol
***[Edit] I think you can track a paper application:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=029&top=3

2. Create an online account and link your paper application

There are 2 steps to this process:

---
Which applications can I link to an online account?
Permanent resident card

---
Soooo true, but it's when you see language like "You must include ALL trips/absences from Canada, blah blah blah..." that only fuels that angst.

As I've said before, I would like to think that once you have shown that you have met the 730 day requirement (and then some, perhaps), the pesky day trips across the border that you/we might miss, shouldn't be a penalty...at least not for a PR card renewal app. I say that, knowing full well that it's merely `a dream' and that IRCC's not about to change a thing. LOL!

Last edited:

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
Soooo true, but it's when you see language like "You must include ALL trips/absences from Canada, blah blah blah..." that only fuels that angst.

As I've said before, I would like to think that once you have shown that you have met the 730 day requirement (and then some, perhaps), the pesky day trips across the border that you/we might miss, shouldn't be a penalty...at least not for a PR card renewal app. I say that, knowing full well that it's merely `a dream' and that IRCC's not about to change a thing. LOL!
Since 2018 when she became a PR I doubt we have been out of country for 50 days, including day trips. Between work and the border closure and having 2 kids under 3 we are home almost all the time

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since 2018 when she became a PR I doubt we have been out of country for 50 days, including day trips. Between work and the border closure and having 2 kids under 3 we are home almost all the time
You can track a paper PR card renewal app. See my edit to the post above.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
You can track a paper PR card renewal app. See my edit to the post above.
okay thanks! I am going to wait until we get the ATIP request before I submit anyways, maybe the glitch will be fixed by then ‍♂ Witg everything I read on here I honestly do have myself convinced that if we get a date or 2 wrong that her PR status will be revoked lol

imranali_

Nov 7, 2017
Hi Folks,

I have a question regarding filling my online PR card renewal application. My name is 'xxx yyy'. In my Indian passport:
Given name: 'xxx yyy'
Surname: blank

My Copr came as:

Family name: 'xxx yyy'
Given name: blank

And then finally in my current PR card, everything is under the Surname 'xxx yyy' and first name is blank.

My question is: while filling in my online PR card renewal application, what should I enter in First Name and Last Name fields as both are required fields and cant be kept blank. I don't want to go through the hassle of legal name change at this stage as I need to travel to India in the next 4-5 months. I just want that the new PR card wbows my name as it appears on my current PR card. So what should I enter in First Name and Last Name fields?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Nardeep, I am facing the same issue. Could you advice how did you entered the name in the system?

nikhin

Mar 5, 2017
I am planning to apply PR card renewal online portal but i do not see option to include my wife and son ,how do i add family to PR renewal online?