+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card production issues discussion

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
or even makes it impossible to apply for a PRTD without choosing the 'outside Canada' option (and also swearing to that effect).

So: IRCC may not physically block you from applying for PRTD while in Canada - so it's technically 'possible', that doesn't mean it's allowed or a good idea, because you may have to explicitly make a misrepresentation to do so.
Closing the loop on this: I understand from some other posts that you cannot apply online for the PRTD without choosing the outside Canada option, and of course you must swear everything there is true. (I'm still unclear on whether you can choose to apply online or not, but some offices apparently not accepting paper apps)

So again: you can't apply from inside Canada without making a misrepresentation. Technically possible, yes, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Reactions: YVR123

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Source, please.
I can't find a source explicitly stating that you can apply for PRTD in Canada however if you check the link below, and select your country (for ex. Nigeria), it does state that you can submit your application online.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document/how-to-apply.html

Now the IRCC agent did say that this is a fairly new system, BUT did confirm that the application can be submitted while in Canada. Now regarding misrepresentation, I personally feel it is a grey area. Unfortunately getting hold of an IRCC agent or getting a non-standard reply to emails is proving to be very difficult off late. Seems like IRCC is understaffed and overworked.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can't find a source explicitly stating that you can apply for PRTD in Canada however if you check the link below, and select your country (for ex. Nigeria), it does state that you can submit your application online.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document/how-to-apply.html

Now the IRCC agent did say that this is a fairly new system, BUT did confirm that the application can be submitted while in Canada. Now regarding misrepresentation, I personally feel it is a grey area. Unfortunately getting hold of an IRCC agent or getting a non-standard reply to emails is proving to be very difficult off late. Seems like IRCC is understaffed and overworked.
Agreed. It's also worth mentioning that sometimes...perhaps often times, the IRCC `phone clerk' is simply incorrect.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bluntly, I would not trust the IRCC agent's statement in this regard. As discussed above: technically, you CAN do submit it.

But if you must attest that you are outside Canada to do so, and you're in Canada, there is no grey area whatsoever: it is a misrepresentation, and it is a material one, because the instructions tell you TWICE the opposite. (Now whether or not IRCC decides to enforce that, or even notices it, is a different matter).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bluntly, I would not trust the IRCC agent's statement in this regard. As discussed above: technically, you CAN do submit it.

But if you must attest that you are outside Canada to do so, and you're in Canada, there is no grey area whatsoever: it is a misrepresentation, and it is a material one, because the instructions tell you TWICE the opposite. (Now whether or not IRCC decides to enforce that, or even notices it, is a different matter).
Yup! There's a BIG difference between a Call Center `agent' and an actual IRCC Visa Officer. :confused:

Reactions: armoured

vabishek17

Mar 24, 2017
My wife and I had applied for PR card renewal through the online portal on August 1. Our applications have in limbo since then until we got an update today. We had called IRCC multiple times and were told they were having production issues. The agent we last spoke to (end of Oct) had put notes in our files requesting an update on our cases. My wife got an email yesterday saying her photos need to resubmitted. I didn't get such email, so I called them today. The agent said I need to resubmit the photos as well (poor quality). I am waiting to receive the official email so that I can send the photos along with the official request. We were also told that our applications will now go back in queue and they are currently processing resubmitted photos from last week of June. Going to be a long wait.

Just checked the GCKey portal and both our PR card renewal applications have been approved and the card has been mailed out. The re-submitted photos were delivered on Dec. 1 so that was really quick.

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
Hi! I am just posting on here to share my experience regarding applying for an urgent PRTD from INSIDE CANADA since it was mentioned. I submitted my application online. In the beginning of the application I chose I am "outside Canada" option to access the PRTD application, otherwise it would give me the PR renewal application (which I already have pending). Before submitting my application, under Consent and Declaration, it asks again have you left Canada or still in Canada? I clicked "inside Canada" and then proceeded to submit my application.

I submitted my application on: Feb 7, 2023

Passport Request: Feb 10, 2023

I am travelling in 2 weeks so I will be sending my passport to the nearest VAC as soon as I reach my destination. They have given me 30 days to submit my passport in the letter.

I have been told that this is misrepresentation and that I may have my PRTD denied/refused so I will update you guys if that happens. I don't mean to misinform anyone but I will let you know what happens as I move along with the process.

Reactions: YVR123

SS@RS

Mar 23, 2023
Hi! I am just posting on here to share my experience regarding applying for an urgent PRTD from INSIDE CANADA since it was mentioned. I submitted my application online. In the beginning of the application I chose I am "outside Canada" option to access the PRTD application, otherwise it would give me the PR renewal application (which I already have pending). Before submitting my application, under Consent and Declaration, it asks again have you left Canada or still in Canada? I clicked "inside Canada" and then proceeded to submit my application.

I submitted my application on: Feb 7, 2023

Passport Request: Feb 10, 2023

I am travelling in 2 weeks so I will be sending my passport to the nearest VAC as soon as I reach my destination. They have given me 30 days to submit my passport in the letter.

I have been told that this is misrepresentation and that I may have my PRTD denied/refused so I will update you guys if that happens. I don't mean to misinform anyone but I will let you know what happens as I move along with the process.
Hi,
My PR card is still under renewal in your case I am wondering if can I apply for PRTD before I leave in mid-April. After your PRTD approval, did you get any other updates from IRCC? Please share your further experience.

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
Hi,
My PR card is still under renewal in your case I am wondering if can I apply for PRTD before I leave in mid-April. After your PRTD approval, did you get any other updates from IRCC? Please share your further experience.
I got my PRTD approved thankfully. When I got my passport request, they gave me 30 days to send my passport to nearest VAC. They did not send me any more notifications after I received my passport back with the PRTD foil.

Collindubya

May 11, 2023
Hi everyone,

I thought i would post to see if anyone can make any suggestions, My partner is a chinese passport holder and a PR, back in jan of 2021 she had started the process to renew her PR card,

she submitted all the paperwork, we booked a ferry and and hotel to go to vancouver as an in person interview was requested for the pick up, at this point the status was set to "Decision made". The day before the interview they had called to cancel it and was told that she would be contacted if any further information or interview was required. This was the last we have heard from them. Status has now been at decision made for 2.5 years, We have called IRCC multiple times and have been told that there is nothing wrong with the application we just need to be patient.

we have gone as far as to contact our MP's office to have them inquire and they have gotten more or less the same answers. 2.5 years seems excessive and unacceptable as this is almost half of the life of her renewed card. during this time we have started a family and have not been able to leave the country to allow the rest of my partners family to meet their newest member (our daughter).

We have been beyond patient and are feeling hopeless as to what we can do to resolve this.

Any suggestions or anyone else experience an extreme delay like this ?

ArpanB

Apr 12, 2022
Hi Everyone, I am on the same boat now in 2023. We came here in October of 2022 and I got my PR card in December 2022. Now we are in August 2023 and my wife's PR card is still stuck. Just couple of months back they approved it and we went into production error and now its stuck. We have escalated it to local MP and they did remind ircc to reprint 2 weeks back, but its still stuck. What are the timelines after production error reminder ? what else do I need to do ? its been 10 months now and we are stuck !! what a nightmare.

Indian310

Feb 20, 2024
Applied: August 12th Status: Production issue on October 13th Action: Called back on November 24th and sent a message to the production team. Currently in limbo awaiting resolution. Seeking advice or experiences from others in a similar situation.

niyayesh

Jun 2, 2022
Applied: August 12th Status: Production issue on October 13th Action: Called back on November 24th and sent a message to the production team. Currently in limbo awaiting resolution. Seeking advice or experiences from others in a similar situation.
did you receive your card?