+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr card pick up issues

Devaa

Apr 2, 2012
Hello forum..

Did anyone have issues picking up their pr card after approval? I have applied for my card and status says it is approved.

Can the local CIC office deny you the card after approval? Just curious as I was 1090 days outside Canada after landing. The immigration officer at the port of entry did not app,y for my pr card saying I was not moving to Canada then. She said my time towards pr will count from the day pr card is issued and asked me to apply when I move in.

So given my situation , what are the options that I am rejected when I go to pick up the card? Anyone have experiences with the toronto office and let me know what to expect.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Devaa said:
Hello forum..

Did anyone have issues picking up their pr card after approval? I have applied for my card and status says it is approved.

Can the local CIC office deny you the card after approval? Just curious as I was 1090 days outside Canada after landing. The immigration officer at the port of entry did not app,y for my pr card saying I was not moving to Canada then. She said my time towards pr will count from the day pr card is issued and asked me to apply when I move in.

So given my situation , what are the options that I am rejected when I go to pick up the card? Anyone have experiences with the toronto office and let me know what to expect.
1. When you go to pick up your card, the VO could determine that you didn't meet the residency requirements and report you. If so, then a departure order would probably be issued, and then you would appeal rights to the IAD. If you didn't have 730 days of residence in the past 5 years, you have a problem.

Devaa

Apr 2, 2012
Well, it's just 3 yrs or 1090 days once I have landed. So going forward I can complete the days but not retrospectively. I am sure they cannot count last five years because in my case t hey can go only upto 3 years.

Let me hope for the best.

VAtiger2575

Apr 11, 2012
Hi Deva,
Please let me know when you go for the PR pick up ...i am in the same boat and wondering how did it go for you ??

Devaa

Apr 2, 2012
Vatiger...the immigration officer at the port of entry told me my clock starts when I receive my pr card. She suggested me not to apply for a pr card at landing. So i did not. :p But I could not confirm that information. Another officer I contacted did not agree to it. So you see I have no way of confirming it.

After reading issues on this forum, I was unsure.

Anyways, I am willing to take the chance and go to pick my pr card. You never know when luck could favor you. If I really get a tough time with the pick up, then its a different story. I will keep you posted.

Shiva

Devaa

Apr 2, 2012
Found this on another forum

The following information which I got from the cic website
"
Persons who became permanent residents of Canada less than five years prior to the date of
receipt of the application are governed by A28(2)(b)(i). This subsection of the Act allows new
permanent residents to qualify under the residency obligation provided that they can potentially
meet the 730-day criteria during the first five-year period immediately after their arrival in Canada.
Even if a person resides away from Canada for up to three years following the date of first arrival
in Canada, that person will retain permanent resident status as long as they still have the
possibility of complying with the 730-days-in-Canada rule. "

Please help...

Devaa

Apr 2, 2012
went to Cic without letteR as my travel date came very close..the officer told me that I m vry close to not meeting my residence requirements. I explained her the sitatution. She thought for sometime anda told me..you may be in trouble if the immigration officer at the port of entry scrutinizes your application on reentry. I said I will Keep in mind her advise. She went inside and got my card.

Happy ending. Btw..went to Toronto office.

mshaikh

Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2011
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-10-2011 (Initial review is complete)
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
Buffalo - Ottawa (June 2012)
Med's Request
23-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2013
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
13-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2014
LANDED..........
23-9-2014
Thank God I found this thread. I am in similar situation (although have been outside Canada for just over 2 years). I was worried if it's going to be a problem. This helps.

Devaa said:
went to Cic without letteR as my travel date came very close..the officer told me that I m vry close to not meeting my residence requirements. I explained her the sitatution. She thought for sometime anda told me..you may be in trouble if the immigration officer at the port of entry scrutinizes your application on reentry. I said I will Keep in mind her advise. She went inside and got my card.

Happy ending. Btw..went to Toronto office.