+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR card holder - changing nationality, will it affect my re- entry??? Pls Help!!

Ocamry

Jul 4, 2012
Dear All,

I first landed in Vcr in late 2008 and got my PR card. Since landing to mid 2010. I spent about 2 weeks each year in Vcr and the rest in another country because of family commitments etc. I returned permanently to Canada based in Toronto last summer and never left since. All in I clocked about 13-14 months of residency in Vcr & Toronto. My first 5 years residency period ends in late 2013 which means I should have enough time to clock a total of 730 days residing in Canada.

I have filed to CRA income tax for 2011 and also gotten my health card last year - in both cases 2011 was deemed to be the year I was permanently residing in Canada

Later this month I'm returning to my home country for a month to renounce my current citizenship to take up citizenship of another country which I am eligible but must be exercised soon. Both countries do not reognise
dual citizenship. My current passport will not be returned to me after my renunciation.

I cannot get through CIC hotline nor find the relevant info for my case.

Qts:

1. Would my re entry into Canada be affected since I will be entering with my new passport ( new citizen/ nationality) but PR card shows previous nationality.

2. Would photocopies of my current passport be of help to ease my reentry and future border crossings until I can renew my PR card and change the nationality status?

3 Is there a deadline to inform CIC of the change of my address as my PR card was issued when I landed in Vcr but since last year I was based permanently in Toronto?

I look fwd to hearing from you guys soon.

Many thks

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting case. I doubt anyone here has experience or has heard of a similar case. Usually when people get another citizenship while a PR, they still keep the one they had when they applied for PR.

1. Best to keep trying to contact CIC, or talk to a lawyer or immigration consultant.

2. Definitely keep photocopies of your current passport to show in the future if you are asked to.

3. I don't think you have to inform CIC at all of your change of address.

Also, I am not sure how your application will be treated when you renew your PR card since you will be switching citizenship in the card. I am sure there are solutions to all your issues, but I would definitely contact a lawyer before going through them. If I were you, I would keep certified copies of all pages in passport(s) that you have to surrender to a government.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. and 2. if they even notice the discrepancy, then you can show them the copies but you should definitely order a new PR card with the correct nationality. In order to do that, you will need copies of both passports and possibly a letter from someone who knows you who can verify that you are the same person who holds both passports. If it happens to be a doctor, a dentist, lawyer or judge, even better.

3. You are under no obligation to inform CIC of your address every time you move. You just have to let them know when you are applying for something so they can send your mail to the correct address. You also have to make a note of all your addresses and time you lived at each one because you will need that when you apply to renew your PR card.

Ocamry

Jul 4, 2012
Hi Leon & CanV,

Thks to both for your useful advice.

Leon, I will do as you suggest once I gotten the new passport in a month or two to update the nationality in the PR card although timing wise it is tricky as my PR card expires in Dec 2013 and I will have comfortably clocked 730 days only by Sep/Oct 2013, latest.

Do you think the best is to update my nationality only when I renew my PR card after I have clocked 730 days.

Meanwhile this is what I have done to ease (hopefully) my re-entry back into Canada. I have gotten a Notary Public to certify a copy of my current passport before it is retained when I renounce my current citizenship. I have also gotten the Ontario Ministry of Government Services to authenticate that the Notary Public is genuine.

Cheers!