+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR CARD EXPIRED IN PAKISTAN AND PRTD

Sam91

Jan 1, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I had to travel to Pakistan due to my mom's critical condition but my PR card is expiring on Aug 17th,2021. My return flight is on Sept 10th. I applied for PRTD from Karachi on July 26th, 2021 and received update that it has been received and under process at IRCC on July 29th, 2021. I found out that my application is getting processed in UAE. I don't know if I am going to get my PRTD by Sept 10th so someone suggested me to go from US land border in that case as I have 10 years US multiple entry visa. The question I have is anyone who can guide me what information should I provide to US immigration related to my travel if I have to take the land border option? Will US let me in if I tell them that my PR was expired so I will cross land border? Also it will be my first visit to US. If I tell them that I am here to visit and go to Canada by land border and when they will see my PR and it is expired won't they create any issue as it is mentioned on Visa that I am canadian permanent resident. Anyone with the same situation please guide the best way. I am really worried.

Thank you.

mubasshirali

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Surrey, BC
Hi I would advise you to wait for your PRTD or if you are in possession of Landing papers then you will be able to enter Canada from the US land border in private vehicle. These days Pakistan's cases are being reviewed by consulate / embassy in UAE.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I had to travel to Pakistan due to my mom's critical condition but my PR card is expiring on Aug 17th,2021. My return flight is on Sept 10th. I applied for PRTD from Karachi on July 26th, 2021 and received update that it has been received and under process at IRCC on July 29th, 2021. I found out that my application is getting processed in UAE. I don't know if I am going to get my PRTD by Sept 10th so someone suggested me to go from US land border in that case as I have 10 years US multiple entry visa. The question I have is anyone who can guide me what information should I provide to US immigration related to my travel if I have to take the land border option? Will US let me in if I tell them that my PR was expired so I will cross land border? Also it will be my first visit to US. If I tell them that I am here to visit and go to Canada by land border and when they will see my PR and it is expired won't they create any issue as it is mentioned on Visa that I am canadian permanent resident. Anyone with the same situation please guide the best way. I am really worried.

Thank you.
Have you been in Canada 730 days out often last 5 years? If so it will likely be faster to get a PRTD than to try and get a visa to enter the US from Pakistan. Often the US visa will involve a lot of paperwork and a wait for an interview. Would send a webform with a copy of your flight to IRCC which may help,

Sam91

Jan 1, 2016
Have you been in Canada 730 days out often last 5 years? If so it will likely be faster to get a PRTD than to try and get a visa to enter the US from Pakistan. Often the US visa will involve a lot of paperwork and a wait for an interview. Would send a webform with a copy of your flight to IRCC which may help,
I stayed in Canada for 1912 days in 5 years period. It's been 4 weeks since I have applied for PRTD and 3 weeks since last updae from vfs that my application is under process. I have attached my ticket as well with PRTD which says return date Sept 10th. I already have multiple entryUS visa which is valid till 2029 but I haven't been to US before that is why I was asking the group what do I have to inform at US immigration if I have to take US way and cross land border to Canada. I also want PRTD so I don't have to go through US. I was also thinking to use Webform but I heard that your application might get delayed if you use web form. But I can give it a try. Thank you.

Sam91

Jan 1, 2016
Hi I would advise you to wait for your PRTD or if you are in possession of Landing papers then you will be able to enter Canada from the US land border in private vehicle. These days Pakistan's cases are being reviewed by consulate / embassy in UAE.
I also think PRTD is the best way. It's been 4 weeks since I submitted my application at VAC and 3 weeks since I got last update that my application is under process. I have to continue my work after Sept 10th (return ticket) that is why I am worried and wanted opinion that if I have to take US land border what do I have to inform at US immigration about purpose of my visit because they might ask for my PR card and if it is expired won't they create any issue with that?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I stayed in Canada for 1912 days in 5 years period. It's been 4 weeks since I have applied for PRTD and 3 weeks since last updae from vfs that my application is under process. I have attached my ticket as well with PRTD which says return date Sept 10th. I already have multiple entryUS visa which is valid till 2029 but I haven't been to US before that is why I was asking the group what do I have to inform at US immigration if I have to take US way and cross land border to Canada. I also want PRTD so I don't have to go through US. I was also thinking to use Webform but I heard that your application might get delayed if you use web form. But I can give it a try. Thank you.
You will need to be honest with US immigration about your reason for travel but they won’t ask for your PR card. Any covid testing for entry to Canada from the US will apply to you as well.

SheikhAhmed

Star Member
Jun 15, 2021
Hello Everyone,

Thank you.
Hi I have very similar timeline as you (applied on 28th July from Lahore and got an email on 2nd August that it is under process at the IRCC office) How did you know your application is being processed in UAE? Any updates after that?

Sam91

Jan 1, 2016
Hi I have very similar timeline as you (applied on 28th July from Lahore and got an email on 2nd August that it is under process at the IRCC office) How did you know your application is being processed in UAE? Any updates after that?
No update since then. I have contacted Islamabad high commission through email and they informed me that your application is being processed in UAE and if you want to contact them use webforms. I don't understand why it is taking too long to process the application as I don't even have residency obligation.

SheikhAhmed

Star Member
Jun 15, 2021
No update since then. I have contacted Islamabad high commission through email and they informed me that your application is being processed in UAE and if you want to contact them use webforms. I don't understand why it is taking too long to process the application as I don't even have residency obligation.
Exactly! My card was expired when I came here and was only out of Canada for 30 days in total. Other countries including India seem to process PRTD applications within days or max couple weeks and here we are waiting for months even though we meet the RO

SheikhAhmed

Star Member
Jun 15, 2021
Salam, if you don't mind can you tell me what emailed you used to contact the high commission, the email I used has been giving me very vague answers and vfs says it is being processed at Canadian high commission, now I don't know if that means the one in Pak or UAE.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Exactly! My card was expired when I came here and was only out of Canada for 30 days in total. Other countries including India seem to process PRTD applications within days or max couple weeks and here we are waiting for months even though we meet the RO
If they have to be sent to another country for processing it takes longer.