+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application Cancelled as Incomplete, BOWP being processed?

mudabbas3

Feb 11, 2016
Hey All,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. My post graduate work permit (PGWP) expires January 15th and I had filed a PR application in December. I applied for my work permit extension based on two grounds.

1) I qualified for the BOWP. I attached my Acknolwedgment of Receipt (AOR) letter from CIC as a supporting document.
2) The validity on my current PGWP was limited by my passport expiry (~9 months). Since I recently renewed my passport, I qualified for an extension on my work permit..

I provided both these reasons in another supporting document while filing my application for the extension. However, now that my PR application has been cancelled as incomplete, I worry that my Work Permit extension application will also be refused (because it was filed under the BOWP umbrella). It stills says "being processed" under my account. The last thing I want is that the extension application is refused after the expiry of my PGWP. What should I do here/?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey All,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. My post graduate work permit (PGWP) expires January 15th and I had filed a PR application in December. I applied for my work permit extension based on two grounds.

1) I qualified for the BOWP. I attached my Acknolwedgment of Receipt (AOR) letter from CIC as a supporting document.
2) The validity on my current PGWP was limited by my passport expiry (~9 months). Since I recently renewed my passport, I qualified for an extension on my work permit..

I provided both these reasons in another supporting document while filing my application for the extension. However, now that my PR application has been cancelled as incomplete, I worry that my Work Permit extension application will also be refused (because it was filed under the BOWP umbrella). It stills says "being processed" under my account. The last thing I want is that the extension application is refused after the expiry of my PGWP. What should I do here/?
A BOWP is a separate work permit - not a work permit extension. It's too bad you mixed these two things together when they are two different things with different requirements - it makes things a bit messy. Anyway - what's done is done. I'm assuming you submitted an extension application rather than an application for a new work permit.

Your PGWP should be extended based on the fact that you applied for a work permit extension (not a new work permit) and didn't receive the full duration of your PGWP due to passport expiry. However I supposed there is some small chance of rejection if you may end up confusing the officer with the BOWP bit (and because don't qualify for a BOWP since your PR application has been cancelled).

One option is to wait and see what happens. I think the chances of approval are high. If you end up being refused, you can go the restoration route - although you'll need to stop working while you wait.

I suppose the other option is to submit another extension application before your PGWP expires as insurance. Not sure this is necessary - but I guess you can do it.