+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
It is possible they are prioritizing people crossing over by foot, but I cannot really say as that is not the case for me, I had been in Canada for a year and half prior to my claiming for protection, so I can most certainly, confidently say I did not cross by foot, I came here by plane :)
The big question they will ask you is why you did not apply after arrival and waited 1.5 y.

Sep 28, 2018
The funny thing is, I wasn’t asked why it took a year and half, but it was my biggest fear that I would be asked. He told me he could understand why because I gave a detailed explanation in my BOC, and when he gave his reasons for acceptance he mentioned my waiting to file a claim as being under subjective fear, and I agree because my original intention for coming to Canada was not to claim refugee status but due to changes in my circumstance. If you make your BOC as detailed as possible it might reduce questions.

Reactions: AnnaSet

AnnaSet

Mar 29, 2018
The funny thing is, I wasn’t asked why it took a year and half, but it was my biggest fear that I would be asked. He told me he could understand why because I gave a detailed explanation in my BOC, and when he gave his reasons for acceptance he mentioned my waiting to file a claim as being under subjective fear, and I agree because my original intention for coming to Canada was not to claim refugee status but due to changes in my circumstance. If you make your BOC as detailed as possible it might reduce questions.
Good to hear that,I’m in the same situation.
I waited 1.5 year to claim my refugee status because when I came to Canada I came with working visa and never thought that one day I had to apply for refugee status but u will never know what life brings you,a lot of things changed in my life and I wrote everything in BOC why it took me to wait all this time.

Jan 10, 2017
Can anyone please explain me how to apply for work permit online ?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html
step 1: create a Mycic account (GCkey signup) using the above link ( following the instructions while creating account and i suggest to write down all the security question and answer at a safe place so that you do not forget what you typed there)
step 2: Based on your questionnaire you answered in step 1, your Mycic account will automatically be consisting the application forms which you have to submit ( download them)
step 3: upload all the forms once filled,your photo and documents etc whatever is requested in your Mycic account
Step 4: once everything completed Submit your application for processing.

-uploading supporting documents: scan them all, paste them in a word document file and upload them.
-After submitting wait for the outcome, they will notify about any updates in your Mycic account by sending you an email.

Jan 10, 2017
I already have a cic account , what do I need to find after logging in to my cic?
Go at the bottom of the page:
Start an application
1) Click on Apply to come to Canada
2) Go to bottom of the page and click on the tab of Visitor visa, study and/or work permit.
3) Based on your questionnaire you answered in step 1, your Mycic account will automatically be consisting the application forms which you have to submit ( download them).

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Hi Guys,
I have a question about the work permit for accepted refugees.
I know it is an open work permit but it is also a one-year work permit?

John Tom

Oct 2, 2018
Hie guys, I filed my claim sometime in July 2017 and my first hearing was in September 2017, a day before the hearing I received a call from my lawyer advising me that my hearing was postponed indefinitely. Since then I haven’t heard anything either from my lawyer or the Board. I feel like I have been forgotten and I’m getting more and more worried by each day. Now I’m thinking of making a call to the Board to make enquires about the status of my claim. I’m not sure if that’s a good idea, can somebody please advise. If it’s a good idea, who do I call and enquire from?

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
Hi guys,
Do you have any idea which province will be faster to apply for PR with overseas spouse as Dependant? Or will it be better to apply by myself first then after or add him? Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hie guys, I filed my claim sometime in July 2017 and my first hearing was in September 2017, a day before the hearing I received a call from my lawyer advising me that my hearing was postponed indefinitely. Since then I haven’t heard anything either from my lawyer or the Board. I feel like I have been forgotten and I’m getting more and more worried by each day. Now I’m thinking of making a call to the Board to make enquires about the status of my claim. I’m not sure if that’s a good idea, can somebody please advise. If it’s a good idea, who do I call and enquire from?
Unfortunately your first hearing date was more like a dummy date and was never going to happen because the system was too overwhelmed. They had to give you the date to follow a law. Your lawyer should have told you that. There are other people who have been waiting as long as you or longer on the forum. Hopefully you will get a hearing by the 1.5 year mark.

Reactions: Jalalcananda

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,
Do you have any idea which province will be faster to apply for PR with overseas spouse as Dependant? Or will it be better to apply by myself first then after or add him? Thanks
You need to include your dependents when you apply for PR. It is a federal program so it should be the same wait time all over the country.

Reactions: Jalalcananda